Were you born near the sea or far inland?

treeduck

How far were you born from the sea?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How far were you born from the sea?

• I was born right on the coast, literally right near an ocean (or sea)
    • About a mile from the coast
    • 2 or 3 miles from the sea
    • 5 miles from the coast
    • 10 miles from the coast
    • about 20-25 miles from the coast
    • about 50 miles from the coast
    • 75-100 miles from the coast
    • 200 miles from the coast
    • 300-500 miles from the coast
    • 500-1000 miles from the sea/ocean
    • 1000-1500 from the coast
    • the Dzungarian Basin, which is in the Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region, in the far north-west of China. It is at a great-circle distance of 2,648 km (1,645 miles) from the nearest open sea - the furthest point

I voted 500 to 1000 miles to the ocean. It was just a guess. Born in southern Ohio.

landlubber!

Do rivers count?

:no:

Not even big rivers?

You coastal snob, you!

• Like 1

I voted 500 to 1000 miles to the ocean. It was just a guess. Born in southern Ohio.

landlubber!

Do rivers count?

:no:

Not even big rivers?

You coastal snob, you!

Either it's the coast or it's inland it can't be both can it?

34 miles from Lake Erie in the Great Lakes State.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/rafting%20bananas.gif

• Like 1

http://www.gonorthwest.com/Washington/images_wa/map.jpg

I was born in Spokane, about 200 miles from Puget Sound, as the crow flies. I lived in Tacoma and, later, Shelton (just north of Olympia), which are right on the water. I also lived in San Diego, CA and Veracruz, Mexico, both port cities.

Familiar map. I live about where the "m" in Bellingham is. Been in Washington since '79.

• Like 1

Are we talking actual ocean? I :heart: the actual ocean since we went there every summer, but I was born near Chicago, where many people go to the "beach" of Lake Michigan.

No Lake Michigan doesn't count that's a landlocked body of water. It has to at least be a channel connected to the sea to count.

You can indeed travel from Lake Michigan to the ocean via water.

Yeah but a lake isn't like the ocean, a lake is a lake.

It's weird that the Black Sea is a sea and not a lake and Lake Michigan/superior are lakes and not seas.

The Black Sea is not a lake because it's linked to the Mediterranean Sea (which empties into the Atlantic Ocean) via the Bosporus Strait. The Great Lakes are all technically one giant lake linked to the Atlantic by the St. Lawrence River.

You're making my point. One is a sea even though it is linked to the ocean through a strait and yet another sea. The other is a lake even though it is linked to the sea via a waterway. Funny thing is it's 2,250 miles from Chicago to the Atlantic and 2,100 miles from the Bosporus to Gibraltar. Inconsistent water names are inconsistent.

Are we talking actual ocean? I :heart: the actual ocean since we went there every summer, but I was born near Chicago, where many people go to the "beach" of Lake Michigan.

No Lake Michigan doesn't count that's a landlocked body of water. It has to at least be a channel connected to the sea to count.

It's weird that the Black Sea is a sea and not a lake and Lake Michigan/superior are lakes and not seas.

The Black Sea is not a lake because it's linked to the Mediterranean Sea (which empties into the Atlantic Ocean) via the Bosporus Strait. The Great Lakes are all technically one giant lake linked to the Atlantic by the St. Lawrence River.

You're making my point. One is a sea even though it is linked to the ocean through a strait and yet another sea. The other is a lake even though it is linked to the sea via a waterway. Funny thing is it's 2,250 miles from Chicago to the Atlantic and 2,100 miles from the Bosporus to Gibraltar. Inconsistent water names are inconsistent.

http://i.imgur.com/kQT4OqI.jpg

• Like 3

Exactly.

Iron Man is trying too hard, Human Torch looks like Saved By The Bell's Zach Morris, and Hulk is Frankenstein's cousin.

I like bloated Thing though!

Iron Man is trying too hard, Human Torch looks like Saved By The Bell's Zach Morris, and Hulk is Frankenstein's cousin.

I like bloated Thing though!

Spidey thinks the others are all shit!

Long Branch, NJ, that's near the beach, isn't it? I always knew I was related to Sigmund and the Seamonsters. It's the hair :LOL: Edited by librarian
  • Like 1

They tell me the dog saved me from the toylet...

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/banana-sad.gif

• Like 1