If Freddie Mercury never past away....

YYZumbi

Do you guys think that the band Queen would still be here today? (Yes I know about Queen + Adam Lambert, but thats not the same thing...)

And would they still have the same kind of sound they had or do you think they would change it?

Or do you think Freddie would go solo and only focus on his own music? Because they did had a hard time at the end...

Or do you think Freddie would go solo and only focus on his own music? Because they did had a hard time at the end...

Queen is a band I enjoy but I know almost nothing aboot them personally. What hard time at the end?

Farrokh would become hetero and his wife would be called Lita Bulsara-Ford... :D :smoke: :hail:

Cold joke maybe. Normally I don't post in what if-threads, so I'll leave you with a Queen fave of mine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab0w7tIbUJ4

• Like 1

There would've been more solo stuff from everyone for sure, and The Miracle and Innuendo would've been totally different, plus Made In Heaven wouldn't exist. They were so close though, so tight. You've got to remember that the "hard stuff" they went through from 86ish to 91 was mainly on account of Freddie being sick, but if he hadn't gotten sick, they probably would've continued getting along, touring, and releasing records as they had been, always striving to put out something totally Queen and totally new, always striving to create the best live show out there, never caring what anyone else thought. I suppose John might have still retired...but I still get the feeling at least half the reason why he did so was because of Freddie's passing and how close they were. I agree with an above post about Freddie doing more theatre and the like. He loved ballet, opera, and the like down to his core, which should be obvious to anyone who's ever heard Bohemian Rhapsody honestly. But then, I wonder if he would'v been in Time, the musical, or if he would've done those tracks with Monserrat Caballe. After all he did all that after he was diagnosed, at which point in his life he exponentially increased his activities in any kinds of bucket list items he still had. He might have held off as Queen were on a huge role internationally circa 1985/1986 when he was diagnosed, from Live Aid to selling out Wembley, and imo the albums were getting better again. It would have been a storied second half of their career...but that simply was not God's plan, or destiny or fate if you prefer.

To me, Freddie is one of my biggest heroes and role models not for everything he did and accomplished before he was diagnosed with HIV/AIDS, but after. The man fought off death, literally, to the bitter end by doing exactly what he wanted, what he loved, and what he felt he had to do. He needed to involve himself in theater, he needed to sing some real opera, he needed to create some of his greatest ever work with Queen, he needed to be himself so that death could not claim him. I am certain that if Freddie had simply cut off all of his activity and surrendered to hospitalization or life in bed, he'd have died a year or two sooner. He gave himself a reason to live, he put all of his energy, ALL OF IT, into his work in music, theater, and the like. He realized he was on a very short clock and that he had to condense everything else he wanted to express through art into a five or six year period, so that's what he did. Singing and songwriting on his death bed, singing for his life, literally. He once said he was just a musical prostitute. I disagree...

Freddie Mercury was a musical saint.

• Like 2

There would've been more solo stuff from everyone for sure, and The Miracle and Innuendo would've been totally different, plus Made In Heaven wouldn't exist. They were so close though, so tight. You've got to remember that the "hard stuff" they went through from 86ish to 91 was mainly on account of Freddie being sick, but if he hadn't gotten sick, they probably would've continued getting along, touring, and releasing records as they had been, always striving to put out something totally Queen and totally new, always striving to create the best live show out there, never caring what anyone else thought. I suppose John might have still retired...but I still get the feeling at least half the reason why he did so was because of Freddie's passing and how close they were. I agree with an above post about Freddie doing more theatre and the like. He loved ballet, opera, and the like down to his core, which should be obvious to anyone who's ever heard Bohemian Rhapsody honestly. But then, I wonder if he would'v been in Time, the musical, or if he would've done those tracks with Monserrat Caballe. After all he did all that after he was diagnosed, at which point in his life he exponentially increased his activities in any kinds of bucket list items he still had. He might have held off as Queen were on a huge role internationally circa 1985/1986 when he was diagnosed, from Live Aid to selling out Wembley, and imo the albums were getting better again. It would have been a storied second half of their career...but that simply was not God's plan, or destiny or fate if you prefer.

To me, Freddie is one of my biggest heroes and role models not for everything he did and accomplished before he was diagnosed with HIV/AIDS, but after. The man fought off death, literally, to the bitter end by doing exactly what he wanted, what he loved, and what he felt he had to do. He needed to involve himself in theater, he needed to sing some real opera, he needed to create some of his greatest ever work with Queen, he needed to be himself so that death could not claim him. I am certain that if Freddie had simply cut off all of his activity and surrendered to hospitalization or life in bed, he'd have died a year or two sooner. He gave himself a reason to live, he put all of his energy, ALL OF IT, into his work in music, theater, and the like. He realized he was on a very short clock and that he had to condense everything else he wanted to express through art into a five or six year period, so that's what he did. Singing and songwriting on his death bed, singing for his life, literally. He once said he was just a musical prostitute. I disagree...

Well said.

Tho I dont think John would have retired. The reason he did is because of Freddie. They was very close. And he said that Queen should not exist whitout Freddie. And I agree.

Brian and Roger should drop Queen+ and do their solo stuff instead.

I have seen Queen+ twice. Once with Rodgers and once with Lambert. And to be honest its just stupid, because its not the same thing whitout Freddie. He was so special.

So I would rather see a Brian solo tour now. He can still play some Queen songs, but he would also play his solo stuff, that I like a lot as well.

Edited by YYZumbi

Well said.

Tho I dont think John would have retired. The reason he did is because of Freddie. They was very close. And he said that Queen should not exist whitout Freddie. And I agree.

I have seen Queen+ twice. Once with Rodgers and once with Lambert. And to be honest its just stupid, because its not the same thing whitout Freddie. He was so special.

So I would rather see a Brian solo tour now. He can still play some Queen songs, but he would also play his solo stuff, that I like a lot as well.

I liked your post till I read your opinion on Queen+. Yes, John quit mostly because of how close he was to Freddie. No, he didn't quit because he thought Queen should be over, otherwise he would've called on the other two to quit, maybe would've done so in the media, and he wouldn't still be involved in every Queen financial and release decision. John is no longer an active member of the band, but he is still very much a passive one who has to give his nod of approval on everything the band does. He remains in contact with Brian and Roger and there are no reports that he's ever said he thinks they should call it quits as well. Also, Freddie's last message to the world was "the show must go on." If he didn't want Queen to continue without him, he never would've sung that song, who would've? I personally am beyond thrilled that this summer I have the opportunity to see what's left of my favorite band of all time put on a show that will likely be one of the greatest shows I will ever see. Adam Lambert is nothing if not humble, respectful, and down to earth about singing Freddie's parts and fronting this project, plus he can actually pull it off, which is more than most people can do. These shows aren't about a couple of narcissistic dinosaur rockers and their Freddie-lite puppet; it's about putting on the show that millions of fans in every part of the world still want to see, continuing the Queen legacy, and making some great rock and roll, just as it's always been.

I'm sorry you and many others only see disgrace where I see joy and bliss, and I'm sorry to come off like a jerk here, but this is important to me. Queen means the world to me after God, family, and friends, and to have this opportunity in my lifetime is more than a blessing, it's a miracle (no pun intended).

Have a fantastic day! :)

Well said.

I liked your post till I read your opinion on Queen+. Yes, John quit mostly because of how close he was to Freddie. No, he didn't quit because he thought Queen should be over, otherwise he would've called on the other two to quit, maybe would've done so in the media, and he wouldn't still be involved in every Queen financial and release decision. John is no longer an active member of the band, but he is still very much a passive one who has to give his nod of approval on everything the band does. He remains in contact with Brian and Roger and there are no reports that he's ever said he thinks they should call it quits as well. Also, Freddie's last message to the world was "the show must go on." If he didn't want Queen to continue without him, he never would've sung that song, who would've?

I personally am beyond thrilled that this summer I have the opportunity to see what's left of my favorite band of all time put on a show that will likely be one of the greatest shows I will ever see. Adam Lambert is nothing if not humble, respectful, and down to earth about singing Freddie's parts and fronting this project, plus he can actually pull it off, which is more than most people can do. These shows aren't about a couple of narcissistic dinosaur rockers and their Freddie-lite puppet; it's about putting on the show that millions of fans in every part of the world still want to see, continuing the Queen legacy, and making some great rock and roll, just as it's always been.

I'm sorry you and many others only see disgrace where I see joy and bliss, and I'm sorry to come off like a jerk here, but this is important to me. Queen means the world to me after God, family, and friends, and to have this opportunity in my lifetime is more than a blessing, it's a miracle (no pun intended).

Ehm... John said so in a interview that he think Queen should have ended after Freddie past away. But he did not wanted to stop Brian and Roger to do what they wanted. So he just left the band and retired and let them decide. Apparently they decided to continue as Queen+. You should not question me when it comes to Queen, I know what Im talking about. :P

And that is the thing, Lambert can NOT pull it off. It was just bad what he did on stage. They should just end it...

Dont take it wrong, seeing Brian and Roger live was great, and I loved what they did on stage, but seeing them with someone as Lambert, that is just silly. Brian and Roger are 2 legends while Lambert is a joke-singer that can´t handle the songs at all. Thats why they should do solo tours instead of Queen+, as I said in earlier post.

And you don´t think Queen is important to me? I have been a fan of Queen since I was a little kid, it was the first real music I started to listen to. And for almost my whole childhood that was the ONLY music I was listening to. Queen even said my life, but that is another story for another time (feel free to send me a private message if you want to hear it, but I wont talk about it here since its nothing to do with the thread).

So be happy that you get to see Brian and Roger, but Lambert... that is a joke.

Edited by YYZumbi

Well said.

I liked your post till I read your opinion on Queen+. Yes, John quit mostly because of how close he was to Freddie. No, he didn't quit because he thought Queen should be over, otherwise he would've called on the other two to quit, maybe would've done so in the media, and he wouldn't still be involved in every Queen financial and release decision. John is no longer an active member of the band, but he is still very much a passive one who has to give his nod of approval on everything the band does. He remains in contact with Brian and Roger and there are no reports that he's ever said he thinks they should call it quits as well. Also, Freddie's last message to the world was "the show must go on." If he didn't want Queen to continue without him, he never would've sung that song, who would've?

I personally am beyond thrilled that this summer I have the opportunity to see what's left of my favorite band of all time put on a show that will likely be one of the greatest shows I will ever see. Adam Lambert is nothing if not humble, respectful, and down to earth about singing Freddie's parts and fronting this project, plus he can actually pull it off, which is more than most people can do. These shows aren't about a couple of narcissistic dinosaur rockers and their Freddie-lite puppet; it's about putting on the show that millions of fans in every part of the world still want to see, continuing the Queen legacy, and making some great rock and roll, just as it's always been.

Ehm... John said so in a interview that he think Queen should have ended after Freddie past away. But he did not wanted to stop Brian and Roger to do what they wanted. So he just left the band and retired and let them decide. Apparently they decided to continue as Queen+. You should not question me when it comes to Queen, I know what Im talking about. :P

And that is the thing, Lambert can NOT pull it off. It was just bad what he did on stage. They should just end it...

Dont take it wrong, seeing Brian and Roger live was great, and I loved what they did on stage, but seeing them with someone as Lambert, that is just silly. Brian and Roger are 2 legends while Lambert is a joke-singer that can´t handle the songs at all. Thats why they should do solo tours instead of Queen+, as I said in earlier post.

And you don´t think Queen is important to me? I have been a fan of Queen since I was a little kid, it was the first real music I started to listen to. And for almost my whole childhood that was the ONLY music I was listening to. Queen even said my life, but that is another story for another time (feel free to send me a private message if you want to hear it, but I wont talk about it here since its nothing to do with the thread).

So be happy that you get to see Brian and Roger, but Lambert... that is a joke.

Okay I made myself seem self-righteous there. I am sorry. I for one don't think Lambert is a joke, that's my option and one I wish more people shared, but I won't be mad at you for having your own. I would like to see the interview where John said that though, because from all accounts I've heard he's never said anything of the sort, really never even touched on the subject.

But I will say I do not see the point in ending it when it is clear that so many people enjoy the new project so much. If I didn't like it either, I don't think I would say they should end it for all the people out there who do.

I can imagine Freddie doing stage, like Broadway ... Paul Stanley did Phantom Of The Opera, and I could see Freddie doing something along the same lines, and much more naturally

And much better, too!

• Like 2

I thoroughly enjoyed the Queen and AL gig. AL is so respectful of Freddie's legacy throughout, he has a great voice and oodles of stage presence.

Great to see Brian and Roger enjoying themselves so much too. He has really invigorated them.

And, if it gets more people into Queen, all the better.

Queen diehard since '83, I know what I'm talking about too, but question away.

The original question, with the reliance on heritage acts to fill arenas and stadia

at such a high level, I think the 4 guys would still be on the road, giving it their all every night.

• Like 2

I thoroughly enjoyed the Queen and AL gig. AL is so respectful of Freddie's legacy throughout, he has a great voice and oodles of stage presence.

Great to see Brian and Roger enjoying themselves so much too. He has really invigorated them.

And, if it gets more people into Queen, all the better.

Queen diehard since '83, I know what I'm talking about too, but question away.

The original question, with the reliance on heritage acts to fill arenas and stadia

at such a high level, I think the 4 guys would still be on the road, giving it their all every night.

I don't mind lambert at all. he's not Freddie but who is. there could have been worse chices. and like him or not. he has a hell of a set of pipes on him.

Mick

• Like 2