Rush Album In Pre Production!!

robertkincaid96

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hear the new album is going to have a spiritual feel and sound. It should be interesting to see what it sounds like when it comes out in early 2007. I can't wait. smile.gif

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Aug 20 2006, 02:09 AM)
QUOTE (NoDeity @ Aug 19 2006, 11:53 PM)
The word "spiritual" in this context worries me.

Neil's a Deist-Agnostic, like me, so I'm not too concerned.

Thank God (Deist-Agnostics enter whatever word you like for "God") he's not an Reo Speedwagon nut like you though...cos then I'd be really worried!!!

wink.gif

a Spiritual album could be fine. It doesn't mean that Rush are going to go gospel.

Hmmmm, I could have imagined them having a spiritual themed album in the early 70s.

My USA Trip No. 5 to Indiana will probably be whenever Rush hit the mid west next year. June? July? August? No later than the first half of August, please.

Hopefully, it will be able to coincide with the Summer 2007 Widespread Panic tour. Still, who knows!

I hope to then come back home and catch them in London and Manchester or even Dublin. I should start saving now!!!!

I could end up seeing 5 shows on the next tour!!! 653.gif

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Aug 20 2006, 03:09 AM)

No offense people but spiritual doesn't mean religious. Two disctinct words here. Religion is a form of spirituality while atheists even have sprituality in their lives if they so chose to seek it out.

Neil while slightly zealous in some of his writings about how he is not really too "appreciative" of religion and what "God" means, I'm sure his spirituality has a lot to do with his philisophical beliefs, he is well read and I am sure their is a ton of those beliefs in his very well informed brain........as well as when he rides that bike, a powerful example of spirituality......I can see Nature being it for him. If it weren't for that long venture and "being one with nature" across the continent, we may have lost our beloved drummer to a suicide.

I'll be perfectly happy hearing another album that gives me another fragment of what spirituality is to me.........how I relate with others, and share similar passions, beliefs, and ideals that are only a piece of the larger whole. That is what about 95% of his lyrics and their music do for me............another band of course is Dream Theater!!!!!

QUOTE (melodic777 @ Sep 3 2006, 03:54 PM)
QUOTE (Kudzu @ Aug 20 2006, 03:09 AM)

No offense people but spiritual doesn't mean religious. Two disctinct words here. Religion is a form of spirituality while atheists even have sprituality in their lives if they so chose to seek it out.

Neil while slightly zealous in some of his writings about how he is not really too "appreciative" of religion and what "God" means, I'm sure his spirituality has a lot to do with his philisophical beliefs, he is well read and I am sure their is a ton of those beliefs in his very well informed brain........as well as when he rides that bike, a powerful example of spirituality......I can see Nature being it for him. If it weren't for that long venture and "being one with nature" across the continent, we may have lost our beloved drummer to a suicide.

I'll be perfectly happy hearing another album that gives me another fragment of what spirituality is to me.........how I relate with others, and share similar passions, beliefs, and ideals that are only a piece of the larger whole. That is what about 95% of his lyrics and their music do for me............another band of course is Dream Theater!!!!!

When he used the word spiritual he was just being descriptive, if the album theme and content was spiritual itself then he wouldn't have given it away on an internet blog months before it was even completed.

Hey everyone- some more news regarding the new album as gleaned from a Neil Peart radio interview from last night. Here are the details I just posted to my blog: http://www.rushisaband.com/display.php?id=588

Yesterday I mentioned that Jim Ladd would be interviewing Neil Peart on his KLOS radio show (Los Angeles) last night. Unfortunately since they don't stream the show (that and the fact that I don't live in LA) I wasn't able to tune in. But luckily, Counterparts messageboard member bydog and the Snowtor did! The interview was mostly about Neil's upcoming book but there was some cool Rush news relating to the new album too! Here's the report:

... It lasted about an hour and a half, with 4 or 5 songs mixed in throughout. One song was the original version of Working Man, which I thought was an odd selection, considering it's not Neil playing. I wonder what Neil thought about that.

Neil sounded great. Most of the interview was spent talking about the new book and Neil's unique ability to describe things so colorfully and vividly. Jim talked about reading the first paragraph and how that's all it took to hook him and suck him in. They talked about Neil's prose writing style and Neil said that it took him 20 years to perfect that style. Neil told a lot of fun little stories, most of which are in the book so I won't spoil it here.

The only bit of news that he mentioned regarding the current status of Rush was that they will be getting together the week after next and they plan to complete preproduction on the new album at that time. He said that they should be in the studio in November and no mention of any preliminary tour dates. ...

So Rush will be getting together the week of September 18th to finish up pre-production and head into the studio in November! This is consistent with the rumors that the album will likely be released this spring. This also makes sense as far as producer Nick Raskulinecz's schedule goes. He is currently in the studio producing the next Shadows Fall album. He'll probably be done with that in plenty of time to get started with Rush in November. Great news!

Hmmm - based on that I'd say we're looking at an April release now...maybe early-mid May?

Just my guess.

I just had the thought that "Hey, in that case (mid-May) maybe it'll come out on my birthday!" but no - album release days are usually Tuesdays in the States and my birthday is on a Thursday...

QUOTE (Maddy @ Sep 8 2006, 01:24 PM)
Hmmm - based on that I'd say we're looking at an April release now...maybe early-mid May?

Just my guess.

I just had the thought that "Hey, in that case (mid-May) maybe it'll come out on my birthday!" but no - album release days are usually Tuesdays in the States and my birthday is on a Thursday...

I still say Feb/March, the album itself should be done by the end of the year...

Kim Mitchell (max webster) from Toronto's q-107 radio station announced last night after they played Red Barchetta live that "Geddy is the best bassist ever -the way he digs in with his right hand.

He stated the new album should be done before the end of the year

Kim normally has his facts straight with facts about his old buds.

QUOTE (CeeJ @ Sep 15 2006, 12:57 AM)
I hope for a release ny March.

That would put the on tour for the summer. cheer.gif

That would indeed be excellent! trink38.gif

I was a musician myself but I don't understand the difference between pre-production and going into the studio. Aren't they the same thing? At least it was for me. laugh.gif unsure.gif

Ru5h F@n,

Pre-Production is where you fine tune the songs and make sure all the i's are crossed and t's are dotted tongue.gif . You usually do this because time is money so when you are in the studio going to tape with your parts it is a waste of valuable time and money working parts out while actually recording. For Rush, money is not the problem but more effort should be put into performance when going to tape rather than " should I follow Neil's kick with my bass line or be melodic with a run or something?" That is a bands worst nightmare in the studio! have your parts polished before you go in the studio. Recording is like golf... 90% Mental, 10% talent. No matter how good you are if your head is wrestling over parts your performance will suffer.

At least in my experience wacko.gif

Digipak?? Do they still sell CD's? I thought everyone used iTunes! I want a double album that opens up and is on colour vinyl. those are the times I will never forget! CD's just don't have the same punch as old LP's did and I am 32! Just a youngn' for records!

Rock,

Drew

Oh ya, and as far as release dates based on how long they take to record... I would imagine that if they are scheduled for studio time in November that they will finish tracking before Christmas. Would not make sense to take a break in between tracking. A month to mix which knowing the music industry, they take Christmas break till the end of January so that will be Mid febuary beginning of March for mixing/mastering. Lead press and marketing time for a month or so... I would say a good guesstimate would be april/may. that is if everything goes as planned. So those looking for early 2007 may be overly optimsitic but I would not complain if that were the case!!

Drew

Well I did have everything worked out before I started recording. The problem is sometimes you run into snags and then the whole album is totally out of sync like when it happened to me back in 1997/1998. I started recording a 17 song album, which in my opinion sound-wise, sounded totally disappointing to me. A few good tracks overall but the rest sounded like ****. I guess I was trying too hard to make a good album and in the process failed. Nobody's perfect, although I try to be 99% of the time. That's just the way the disc rotates sometimes, I guess. unsure.gif

Archived