The southern rock titans: ABB or Lynyrd Skynyrd?

Texas King

The southern rock titans: ABB or Lynyrd Skynyrd?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. The southern rock titans: ABB or Lynyrd Skynyrd?

• The Allman Brothers Band
    • Lynyrd Skynyrd

I listened to Live at the Fillmore East earlier today. Right now I'm listening to One More For From The Road. Tell me again why the Allmans are inarguably better musicians?

Jazzier. They can be more pretentious!

Honestly, I'd probably take .38 Special over the Allmans.

Me too! lol

.38 special is very underrated. Don Barnes was a hell of a front man.

Totally agree. Glad to see some love here for them. I actually would have picked them over either of the groups in this poll. Thats how much I like their hits. Not a big fan of their deep cuts but their greatest hits, the material you will usually hear live, is great (IMO).

I have seen 38 Special 3 times, the Allman Brothers once and Skynyrd twice. The first time I saw 38 Speical was in 92 or 93 in Rochester NY under a festival tent and they headlined a show with Bad Co. opening. To this day its probably one of the 5 best shows I have ever seen. Certainly a top 10 show. Both groups were great. The second time I saw they was in the mid 90's when they headlined a Southern Rock festival at SPAC. The other groups playing that night were The Outlaws, The Fab Thunderbirds & The Marshall Tucker Band. Another very strong show. The last time I saw them they opened for Styx & REO Speedwagon and IMO they were the best of the 3 groups that night. REO was 2nd best (IMO). That was around 2010.

The Allman Brothers headlined a festival which included a number of small, unknown & self described "alternative" rock groups. The opening groups did nothing for me, not did the Allman's & I eventually walked out on the show. This was at SPAC in the early 2000's.

As for Skynyrd, the first time I saw them was at SPAC in the mid to late 90's with Ted Nugent opening. A very strong show by both groups. The second time was, I guess, in the early 2000's and was again at SAPC. This time they had Deep Purple with them and I thought Deep Purple was the better act.

Since 38 Special is not in the poll, since I have enjoyed Skynyrd's live shows more and I prefer their big hits more I will vote for them.

PLEASE do not judge Lynyrd Skynyrd based on the glorified bar band that retains their name nowadays. I saw the real Skynyrd (before the plane crash) in October of '76 and they remain one of the best live bands I've ever seen and I've likely attended over 200 shows in my life. Ronnie's brothers can't carry his mic.

Many thanks for the feedback!! Love comparing notes on shows - thats why I sometime toss in what some might feel is to much info on some of my responses. They are not just "war stories". Well, they are. But it's also designed to get stuff just like this - others responses and "war stories" about shows they saw to help expand my horizons.

I will try to keep your point in mind. Since I am not a huge Skynyrd fan I would wonder if any of those shows they did were filmed and are sitting around in some vaults someplace. The Who have released several in recent years from the Keith Moon era and Rush has released a fair number (inc. from the Rabbit Hole) which go back a number of years and were of good quality. That would be cool if they ever released some from the era you refer to. Pardon my ignorance if some are all ready out their and I am not aware of it.

Dang, I am envious of you to have seen them in their prime. I have seen a fair # of shows, perhaps 75 - 100, but you have a lot of concert insight / experience I don't have. Many thanks for sharing it!!!!

Skynyrd in their prime are on fire energy eise

Tons of stuff on youtube. Like the old grey whistle test. An early show.

Even better

I have this show on DVD as a bootleg. Downloaded it years ago. Very good stuff indeed.

For something to watch of the original band that's been officially released, "Free Bird: The Movie" is what you're looking for. It's been bundled with another video called "Tribute Tour" which is not the original band. Free Bird The Movie was recorded in England. HIGHLY recommended. Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.c... bird the movie

Its a great recommendation and i would love to get it. I have seen it before several times at my friends. It kicks ass.

The last skynyrd i bought was southern surroundings and i only mention it and bought cause it was a deal. $10 at walmart. This a while back though.

It has the dvd of the old grey whistle test. Then some of their greatest in 5.1 and a third disc of the same songs as they were.

• Like 1

I listened to Live at the Fillmore East earlier today. Right now I'm listening to One More For From The Road. Tell me again why the Allmans are inarguably better musicians?

Well duane was a hell of a player and hanging with clapton helps. I have always given the abb a very slight edge musically but only slightly. Both groups are more than proficient.

Skynyrd was tearing it a new one when they crashed.

Steve gaines was a real talent and his playing was taking them to the next level.

Rip butch trucks.

Oh, no. :( :(

I feel like I've just been punched in the stomach.

RIP Butch. Honestly, I thought he might live the longest of all the original members.

I'll be putting on At Fillmore East later on, and probably some more recent live stuff, with his nephew Derek wailing out in front.

:rose:

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 2

Rip butch trucks.

Oh, no. :( :(

I feel like I've just been punched in the stomach.

RIP Butch. Honestly, I thought he might live the longest of all the original members.

I'll be putting on At Fillmore East later on, and probably some more recent live stuff, with his nephew Derek wailing out in front.

So glad I made it up to the Beacon in Oct '14 for the final ABB show. Last time I got to see Butch.

Certainly gonna have to get the Les Paul out tonight in tribute.

• Like 2

The Black Crowes

I'll like your post, even though I can't stomach the Crowes being considered a 'southern rock' band.

But I suppose... :huh:

"You say hippie, I say tomato."

-Chris Robinson, 1992

I don't consider the Allman Brothers band southern rock either. After Duane died and Dickey turned them more into a country direction, yes. But those weren't the Allman BrotherS.

Anyways, no question ABB for me. Have seen them over 20 times. Saw Skynyrd once. No comparison. But I would take original Skynyrd over the post Duane 70's Allmans. But then you get the Warren/Derek Allmans, which is musical nirvana.

• Like 1

One From The Road was horrible (Dickey Betts band). Need to listen to Duane on Fillmore East. Or watch any video with Derek and Warren (along with Oteil or Woody on bass)

In his obit there's a quote from BT that choked me up a little bit.

"We were out spreading the gospel of this music we had discovered. We never thought that we would be more than an opening act."

• Like 5

Just saw a report that we lost Butch due to a self-inflicted gunshot.

Here is my video from the last time I saw him (at the Beacon - Oct 2014) (if it works, im not too tech savy)

https://www.facebook.com/alan.peters.731/videos/1349272118462217/

Just saw a report that we lost Butch due to a self-inflicted gunshot.

:( :(

That's awful. I feel worse now than when I first found out.

Thanks for posting the video, though. I'll watch it when I can.

Still feeling at a loss

Final Allmans setlist

1. Little Martha (0:51)

2. Mountain Jam (4:01)

3. Don't Want You No More (2:35)

4. It's Not My Cross To Bear (5:04)

5. One Way Out (6:25)

6. Good Morning Little School Girl (10:54)

7. Midnight Rider (3:35)

8. The High Cost Of Low Living (8:40)

9. Hot 'Lanta (5:38)

10. Blue Sky (9:55)

11. You Don't Love Me (13:30)

Disc 2

1. Statesboro Blues (4:52)

2. Ain't Wastin' Time No More (7:43)

3. Black Hearted Woman (13:08)

4. The Sky Is Crying (9:10)

5. Dreams (11:41)

6. Don't Keep Me Wonderin' (4:16)

7. Stage banter 1 (0:18)

8. In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed (15:28)

9. JaMaBuBu (10:27)

10. In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed - reprise (2:34)

Disc 3

1. Melissa (5:39)

2. Revival (4:18)

3. Stage banter 2 (0:13)

4. Southbound (5:20)

5. Mountain Jam - reprise (8:06)

6. Will The Circle Be Unbroken? (10:51)

7. Mountain Jam - reprise 2 (3:07)

8. Crowd noise 1 (4:10)

9. Whipping Post (14:30)

10. Crowd noise 2 (1:48)

11. Farewell (3:32)

12. Trouble No More (4:29)

Already posted the farewell:

Here is Trouble No More:

• Like 1

Really touching tribute from Warren Haynes, on his personal website. Touches on something that always struck me about Butch, and his playing- his stamina. Just incredible. Edited by Blue J