Neal Morse Band - The Similitude of a Dream

The K Man

Brilliant album, my favourite of 2016, some great inspiration also from Queen, Beatles, Genesis, Frank Zappa, ELP mixed in there as well. Classic stuff.

I hear most of those as well. The ELP influence is likely the result of that classic moog sound.

• Like 1

Yep, the Morsefest 2015 will be a must-buy, if for nothing else than that performance of the Question Mark album.

these are the set lists for Morsefest 2015.

night 1.

set 1

1. The Call

2.The Grand Experiment

3. Go the Way You go

4. MacAthur Park (Cover)

5. A Whole Nother Trip

6. New Jerusalem

set 2.

? album in full

Night 2.

Set 1.

1. Sola Scriptura in full

2. Waterfall

3. At the End of the Day (With Nick D'Virgilio on drums)

4. Wind at my back (Nick on vocals)

Encores

Whrilwind Medley

1. Overture

2. The Wind Blew them All Away

3. Rose Colored Glasses

4. Dancing With Eternal Glory.

Now........i loved Morsefest 2014

but this blows it clean away.......can't wait.

Mick

• Like 2

i should have figured this long ago.......but Morse is one of most fav artists ever by now.

being Atheist the lyrics were a crutch at first but i've gotten WAY past that. the music and songwriting is to awesome.

i wonder how many atheists Neal has in his fanbase........and part of me wants to know his reaction, lol

it wouldn't matter if he told all Atheist fans to leave.....i'd stay on board, lol

Mick

i should have figured this long ago.......but Morse is one of most fav artists ever by now.

being Atheist the lyrics were a crutch at first but i've gotten WAY past that. the music and songwriting is to awesome.

i wonder how many atheists Neal has in his fanbase........and part of me wants to know his reaction, lol

it wouldn't matter if he told all Atheist fans to leave.....i'd stay on board, lol

Mick

I think he would be very happy to know that actually.

• Like 1

Mick

i hope so. cause personally i would just want him to know even though we don't share the same personal views. his music can reach all walks.

he's one musician i genuinely want to meet.

to discuss just music, life......anything.......he seems so nice ya know, lol

Mick

Mick

i hope so. cause personally i would just want him to know even though we don't share the same personal views. his music can reach all walks.

Mick

I agree. He lives here in Nashville. Would it be creepy if I tried to find out where he lives? :ph34r:

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

I agree. He lives here in Nashville. Would it be creepy if I tried to find out where he lives? :ph34r:

lol. i've heard stories from fans that have his personal e-mail......i don't know how they got it.....but they say he'll answer them and talk with them.

and he's always talking at Christian schools. telling his story and playing music.

such a cool guy.

Mick

Mick

Mick

lol. i've heard stories from fans that have his personal e-mail......i don't know how they got it.....but they say he'll answer them and talk with them.

and he's always talking at Christian schools. telling his story and playing music.

such a cool guy.

Mick

I wonder where he goes to church? Maybe I could just drop in one Sunday. :laughing guy:

• Like 1

Mick

A few ways this can go...

1) he sees his music as outreach, a way of spreading 'the word' and therefore if you're a non-believer then he is offering you salvation...

2) he doesn't care about your soul and is using the christian-rock angle to hook a few extra buyers/fans than he would normally get being purely a prog artist (typically poor record sales compared to other genres)...

3) he just makes music to make music and being religious it just leaks out without any intent.

Sadly, for me, #1 is the most likely option. It's sad because preaching is an arrogant way of viewing the world IMO [we're screwed up for thinking/being different but he has some magical cure for our oddity if we'd only listen and follow his rules]. I suppose you can say any artist with a message using their art to promote that message is 'preaching'. But I feel there's a difference between reasoned ideology and parroting archaic theology, and more specifically the mindset of someone who is on a crusade to save us in the name of their imaginary friend. Hence why he could never be a permanent part of my playlist, it will wear on me after a while.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

Mick

1) he sees his music as outreach, a way of spreading 'the word' and therefore if you're a non-believer then he is offering you salvation...

2) he doesn't care about your soul and is using the christian-rock angle to hook a few extra buyers/fans than he would normally get being purely a prog artist (typically poor record sales compared to other genres)...

3) he just makes music to make music and being religious it just leaks out without any intent.

Sadly, for me, #1 is the most likely option. It's sad because preaching is an arrogant way of viewing the world IMO [we're screwed up for thinking/being different but he has some magical cure for our oddity if we'd only listen and follow his rules]. I suppose you can say any artist with a message using their art to promote that message is 'preaching'. But I feel there's a difference between reasoned ideology and parroting archaic theology. Hence why he could never be a permanent part of my playlist, it will wear on me after a while.

could be........but he isn't "saving me"

i've long ago tuned out the lyrics. lol.

i'm a fan no matter what though.

he could write about wall paste and i'd snatch it up, lol

i actually used to be Christian...........and with the lies and corrupt way they pick pockets and the overall negative impact of organized religion.......never will become born again........but getting into a bad topic, lol no problem if it gives someone personal happiness though.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Sadly, for me, #1 is the most likely option. It's sad because preaching is an arrogant way of viewing the world IMO [we're screwed up for thinking/being different but he has some magical cure for our oddity if we'd only listen and follow his rules]. I suppose you can say any artist with a message using their art to promote that message is 'preaching'. But I feel there's a difference between reasoned ideology and parroting archaic theology, and more specifically the mindset of someone who is on a crusade to save us in the name of their imaginary friend. Hence why he could never be a permanent part of my playlist, it will wear on me after a while.

I think 3 is the most likely option.

There is zero chance number 2 is the case (since his crowds got a little smaller for years after leaving Spock's).

• Like 2

I think 3 is the most likely option.

There is zero chance number 2 is the case (since his crowds got a little smaller for years after leaving Spock's).

i've heard Neal in interviews. and he Really just cherishes his faith it seems.

The last 3 records have been deliberatly LESS in your face.

I think he's just open about his faith.

but who knows for sure, lol

Mick

I interviewed the whole band before their show in Toronto yesterday:

20190221-154014.jpg

Cool shirt, Rod and I love the location. :clap:

No more Captain Bluebeard!!! I'm glad that it's over!

• Like 2

20190221-154014.jpg

Praise Jesus! Lol!!

I loved Spock's Beard with Neal but then yes he went over the top with his Christian Faith.

Good for him but it's not my cup o tea.

I gave up on Neal Morse and I even liked the Transatlantic stuff too.

But man, he solo stuff? Way over the top broken record down your throat God Stuff.

I bought the "Dream" album last week and gave it a spin.

Musically divine, yet for me it's still lyrically over the top GOD. Especially the way this dude always has to end his albums.

It's all about finding "Love."

I believe in karma and the universe but man, I would rather find true love in a woman. Then again that's rare as HELL too.

Good for Neal finding his path with God, but why do i have to listen to his religious onslaught?

I just want to listen to some intellectual prog. Not deal with with Neal and his brainwashing of Christian Faith.

Perhaps Neal and Neil can make a record together.

What a cluster fukk that would be.

• Like 1

I'm still reeling from what happened. Up until the time I got to the venue there was no confirmation of who in the Neal Morse Band would be available for the interview, so I wrote questions for all of them. I got there and was greeted by Neal, who asked "do you want to talk just with me?". I said "with you and whoever else is available - the more, the merrier!". He told me to wait a few minutes, and when he called me into the room, all members were around the table. I saw Portnoy and got my period then and there!!!! LOL!!!
  • Like 3

20190221-154014.jpg

Praise Jesus! Lol!!

I loved Spock's Beard with Neal but then yes he went over the top with his Christian Faith.

Good for him but it's not my cup o tea.

I gave up on Neal Morse and I even liked the Transatlantic stuff too.

But man, he solo stuff? Way over the top broken record down your throat God Stuff.

I bought the "Dream" album last week and gave it a spin.

Musically divine, yet for me it's still lyrically over the top GOD. Especially the way this dude always has to end his albums.

It's all about finding "Love."

I believe in karma and the universe but man, I would rather find true love in a woman. Then again that's rare as HELL too.

Good for Neal finding his path with God, but why do i have to listen to his religious onslaught?

I just want to listen to some intellectual prog. Not deal with with Neal and his brainwashing of Christian Faith.

Perhaps Neal and Neil can make a record together.

What a cluster fukk that would be.

Neal does get preachy, but his concert is quite an experience, man. I remember the first time I interviewed him and asked about his process to put together a setlist and he said "I pray a lot and then it comes to me". I had no reaction to that!

I liked the new album quite a bit. It rambles a little bit, and probably could've been condensed down to one disc; but there's a ton of great content there.

The single "I Got to Run" is one of the catchiest hard rock ballads I've heard in a while.

Edited by KenJennings

I remember the first time I interviewed him and asked about his process to put together a setlist and he said "I pray a lot and then it comes to me". I had no reaction to that!

The rest of humanity calls that "thinking". That's why deeply religious types can be classified (clinically) as mentally ill.

I remember the first time I interviewed him and asked about his process to put together a setlist and he said "I pray a lot and then it comes to me". I had no reaction to that!

The rest of humanity calls that "thinking". That's why deeply religious types can be classified (clinically) as mentally ill.

i Love Neal's Music......but his interviews can SUPER awkward. especially when he uses that answer. which he uses a lot.

Mick