Union 5-3992

Best Metal Singer  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best Metal vocalist

• Ronnie James Dio
    • Bruce Dickinson
    • Rob Halford
    • Ozzy Osbourne

Dio wins for me. Most metal singers either sound like an angry elf or Cookie Monster, he doesn't.

What kind of metal are you listening to? There are plenty of good clean singers in the genre who don't sound like that.

Dio gets my vote.

• Like 1

I went with Rob.

I am a huge Maiden fan, though. Far much more so than any of the other bands. I liked Paul's vocals in Maiden and I can see the argument that he's better. But I have so much respect for Bruce, kicking out that very good album after that cancer diagnosis instead of putting it off until after. Apparently Nicko quit drinking because of Bruce's battle.

• Like 2

I never got to see Dio live so I don't know what he was like in person although I do have a number of CD's DVD's of his live performances.

Maiden I saw on the Somewhere in Time Tour in 1987. Ozzy I saw live on his first 2 your with Zack W. in the late 80's / early 90's. Priest I saw live on the Ram it Down & Painkiller Tours in 1988 and, what, 90 / 91?

So I do have in person live performance's from 3 of them from near their prime to help me judge them (plus live CD's / DVD's as well from those 3).

Ozzy was good but his true strength was as a show man. So that knock's him out of the running (IMO).

The other 3 are all great but in the end, based on what I saw live, I have to pick Rob slightly over Bruce. Both have continued to put out great material for many years and, had Dio lived, I have no doubt he would have done so as well. Based on what I have heard on live CD's / DVD's I have to pick Rob slightly over Dio.

So my final pick is:

1. Rob

2. Dio

3. Bruce

4. Ozzy

• Like 1