What bands do you owe a debt of gratitude?

Lorraine

Watching a bootleg (I'm assuming it's a bootleg) of a Van Halen concert from 1983 in Southern California, it strikes me how much we owe many bands. Eddie was born to play that guitar and DLR was born to strut and entertain. Same as Freddie Mercury was born to own the stage.

Music has gotten many of us through some really really hard and tough times. How many times have we been tempted to just throw the towel in and then that song comes on that stops us? Or that song comes on with lyrics that are talking about you and what you are going through? Or you hear a guitar "riff" that twines itself around your heart and you know that even if no one can or does, that guitar understands?

What bands do you owe gratitude to for being there when no one else was? Or a special album/song?

Here are some of mine:

The Moody Blues - The core seven albums, but especially Seventh Sojourn, got me through my high school years.

The Who - Quadrophenia took me through the seventies.

Steely Dan - In the eighties, they gave me the push to make a fresh start.

Rush and TRF - You have no idea how they and you saved me and helped me retain whatever sanity I have left.

I owe these and many other bands a lot. They helped (and help) me so much throughout the decades since the sixties. I still remember when I was going through my atheist stage in my twenties when I chose music as my "higher power." I chose it because it was my god. It had to be. It had gotten me through so much.

• Like 10

Cheap Trick - for getting me into music

Beatles - for showing me how layered music can be

Brian Eno - for showing that different can be beautiful

Cheap Trick live - for showing me that you're never to old to rock and have fun

special mention to Lindsey Buckingham for writing "Turn It On" and those great songs on Tusk.

Good lord, there are so many...Great idea Lorraine!

• Like 5

Hypnotized by Fleetwood Mac

This song inspired me to NEVER, EVER, EVER do LSD or Mushrooms

• Like 5

I've said this before, but Def Leppard was the band that got me into rock. Never was into it, never understood it before I heard a CD of their greatest hits on a road trip about 2 years ago. I liked Def Leppard for a long while and still do, but the main thing is that they got me out of the generic pop music I had previously listened to. There's nothing wrong with liking current pop music, but I'm never ever going back to it.

Led Zeppelin made me truly appreciate a specific era of rock, the 1970s. Albums like LZ IV and Physical Graffiti opened me up to the power of raw, unbridled rock music. Still a favorite band of mine. Of course, they also inspired the most meaningful band to me out of all rock bands that I've listened to, and that is the trio out of Toronto, Ontario.

Rush opened me up to music's fullest capabilities. The complexities and technicalities of their songs has been so inspiring to me; so much so that Rush are the band that made me want to play instruments myself. I picked up a bass because of those bass lines in Tom Sawyer and in Xanadu. I wanted to drum because of songs like La Villa and By-Tor. I wanted to play guitar because of songs like TSOR and Limelight. Not only that, the three have proven to be some of the most upstanding people in the world of rock. They're classy and mature, and it's hard not to appreciate that when so many of their fellow rock musicians don't fit that bill.

I only discovered them in October of last year and I wish I had been born so much earlier than I was, if anything just to see them live. So meaningful to me and so meaningful to many others here on this forum.

Another band I would want to thank is Lynyrd Skynyrd. Pre-crash Skynyrd were absolutely awesome. Primus as well; I love their quirkiness and Les Claypool is my 2nd favorite bassist behind Geddy.

Edited by Natural Scientist in 2112
  • Like 5

For me:

The Beatles - Sat in front of the TV that night in 1964 with my family to watch The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show. After that night I knew music would be a big part of my life. I was 9 y.o.

The Rolling Stones - After hearing The Last Time in 1966 I wanted to take guitar lessons, and I did.

The Doors - I would spend my summers in Tennessee and the summer of 1968 my cousins were really into The Doors. Hot / humid summers in Tenn. listening to Waiting For The Sun.

The Who and Led Zeppelin - Received Tommy and Led Zep II albums from Santa Xmas 1969, along with my first pair of bell bottoms. Ready for high school !!!!

Pink Floyd - First heard Ummagumma at a high school talent show. Got me interested in Prog music.

Yes Fragile - first album that was playing when smoked pot for the first time. Perfect, especially South Side Of The Sky.

David Bowie - My buddies took me to see Ziggy Stardust tour at Radio City 1973. What the hell was that ?!?!?!

Jethro Tull - Turned on a lot of my friend to Jethro Tull starting with Stand Up. Saw Tull many times at MSG starting with the Aqualung tour. A Passion Play was incredible.

Rush - Cygnus X-1.

Edited by custom55
  • Like 3

I've said this before, but Def Leppard was the band that got me into rock. Never was into it, never understood it before I heard a CD of their greatest hits on a road trip about 2 years ago. I liked Def Leppard for a long while and still do, but the main thing is that they got me out of the generic pop music I had previously listened to. There's nothing wrong with liking current pop music, but I'm never ever going back to it.

Led Zeppelin made me truly appreciate a specific era of rock, the 1970s. Albums like LZ IV and Physical Graffiti opened me up to the power of raw, unbridled rock music. Still a favorite band of mine. Of course, they also inspired the most meaningful band to me out of all rock bands that I've listened to, and that is the trio out of Toronto, Ontario.

Rush opened me up to music's fullest capabilities. The complexities and technicalities of their songs has been so inspiring to me; so much so that Rush are the band that made me want to play instruments myself. I picked up a bass because of those bass lines in Tom Sawyer and in Xanadu. I wanted to drum because of songs like La Villa and By-Tor. I wanted to play guitar because of songs like TSOR and Limelight. Not only that, the three have proven to be some of the most upstanding people in the world of rock. They're classy and mature, and it's hard not to appreciate that when so many of their fellow rock musicians don't fit that bill.

I only discovered them in October of last year and I wish I had been born so much earlier than I was, if anything just to see them live. So meaningful to me and so meaningful to many others here on this forum.

Another band I would want to thank is Lynyrd Skynyrd. Pre-crash Skynyrd were absolutely awesome. Primus as well; I love their quirkiness and Les Claypool is my 2nd favorite bassist behind Geddy.

I don't mean this in a snarky way, but that's impressive for a young man who is only 15. :cheers:

• Like 2

My Big Three

- KISS: for reassuring me that it is OK to be myself, regardless of my surroundings

- Rush: for making me realize why it is not only OK to be myself, but the only way to be

- The Dead Boys: because sometimes when you go about your business, others will try to knock you down

• Like 4

These bands captured my attention and inspired me over the years...

Beach Boys, Beatles, Zeppelin, Doors

Dave Brubeck

Cheap Trick, AC/DC, Van Halen, Queen

Devo, B52s, X, Midnight Oil, the Church

Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Nirvana

And most of all...

Rush & Jethro Tull

• Like 4

beatles Rubber Soul-It got me started on my love of popular music in general

Elton John-Songs from the West Cost-iCame out when i was 16 and really depressed. it helped me tons.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Also, Les Paul and Earth Wind & Fire, for forever bonding me with two of the greatest people in the world - Mom and Dad

I am with Lucas.

Earth Wind & Fire for making it everytime I say 'Do You Remember?' I start to sing this song

• Like 6

Also, Les Paul and Earth Wind & Fire, for forever bonding me with two of the greatest people in the world - Mom and Dad

I am with Lucas.

Earth Wind & Fire for making it everytime I say 'Do You Remember?' I start to sing this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs069dndIYk

I liked them a lot. In fact, the only time I ever heard Xanadu before I got here was in a record store I was in to buy an Earth Wind & Fire album in about 1977.

I must remember to trigger you often by asking you "Do you remember?????"

Edit: I better add one of these: ;)

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

My Big Three

- KISS: for reassuring me that it is OK to be myself, regardless of my surroundings

- Rush: for making me realize why it is not only OK to be myself, but the only way to be

- The Dead Boys: because sometimes when you go about your business, others will try to knock you down

I can't believe KISS made your list :LOL: .... :) Edited by Narps
  • Like 3

Rush, Yes, Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest, AC/DC, Scorpions, Pat Travers Band, Moxy, UFO and there are a few others. This is all 70's output mind you. These bands kept a pretty awkward, mostly depressed teenager that the chicks didn't really dig great company for a good 3 or 4 years...
  • Like 5

These are the bands I probably obsessed over the most while growing up. I can easily list several dozen more bands but my interest in them most likely branched out of the following list:

The Beatles

Rush

R.E.M.

XTC

Wire

Nirvana

• Like 4

I am with Lucas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs069dndIYk

I should add bands like WAR, Earth Wind and Fire, and Avg. WhiteBand to my list. I lived in a SoCal mostly-black neighborhood from grades 2-5, and as a result, funk was one of my jams in those days.
  • Like 3

DS, are you too shy to bring up your favorite song? Fret not. I'll post it for you. I know it got you over more than one of life's hurdles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD6PqT3LjQk&feature=player_detailpage

I love this tune

• Like 2