EagleMoon

Song battle: Comfortably Numb or Carry On Wayward Son  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Comfortably Numb
    • Carry On Wayward Son

Confortably Numb

I HATE Kansas.

Have you ever been called for jury duty?

Oh right, you're 15. I suspect that in the future you won't have to worry about missing any work if you are called for jury duty. . .

That's rude! No wait...... :LOL:

What do you mean by that?

?

• Like 1

Comfortably Numb is a transportational experience for sure, especially that solo of course, but Carry On Wayward Son is one of these few precious songs that are essentially a five minute hook that acts as it's own line and sinker (such as Boh-Rhap). When CN comes on, I'm like, "yeah, cool," and I sing along where I know the lyrics (most of the song). When COWS comes on I'm like "CARRY ON MY WAYWARD SO-O-O-ON! THERE'LL BE PEACE WHEN YO-OU ARE DO-ONE! LAY YOUR WEARY HEAD TO RE-E-E-EST! DON'T YOU CRY NO MORE... (BUM BUM, BUM BUM, BIEWN!) DUN DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUNDUNDUN DU DUN, DU DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUNDUNDUN, DU DUN, DU DUN....you get the picture, lol.
  • Like 1

Never voted on this and still can't. Songs are equal in quality and enjoy ability. The two things I would normally use to break tie are even also. Both have great solos and incredible guitar tones.
  • Like 1

Never voted on this and still can't. Songs are equal in quality and enjoy ability. The two things I would normally use to break tie are even also. Both have great solos and incredible guitar tones.

I have trouble picking one because I don't think the songs are similar enough to compare to each other. Forced to pick one I'll go with Numb, simply because of the iconic guitar solos.

Carry On Wayward Son

Not a fan of Comfortably Numb. I hate that song.

• Like 2

What is it with Rush fans and disliking Kansas? I mean, it's one thing if they were kind of rivals in their heyday, but they never were.

Kansas are better than Rush in my opinion.

What is it with Rush fans and disliking Kansas? I mean, it's one thing if they were kind of rivals in their heyday, but they never were.

I would guess that the violin puts some people off. It takes Kansas' music to a different place than some prog rock fans are willing to go, despite the idea that one of the things that makes prog "proggy" is the inclusion of non-traditional rock instruments. I imagine some people would have a problem with Jethro Tull's flute for the same reason.

I would guess that the violin puts some people off. It takes their music to a different place than some prog rock fans are willing to go.

But then...Tull...Flute...haha

I would guess that the violin puts some people off. It takes their music to a different place than some prog rock fans are willing to go.

But then...Tull...Flute...haha

Oh you edited haha

Yep. Some people hear those instruments and they think "classical" or "not heavy," and maybe that's not their thing.

I would guess that the violin puts some people off. It takes Kansas' music to a different place than some prog rock fans are willing to go, despite the idea that one of the things that makes prog "proggy" is the inclusion of non-traditional rock instruments. I imagine some people would have a problem with Jethro Tull's flute for the same reason.

Disagree. Progsters who don't appreciate Kansas view it as one step above Lynyrd Skynyrd and Marshall Tucker. Has nothing to do with the violin.

Disagree. Progsters who don't appreciate Kansas view it as one step above Lynyrd Skynyrd and Marshall Tucker. Has nothing to do with the violin.

Sure it can. With those people, perhaps, they hear the violin and they think "country fiddle" or "southern music" or "John Mellencamp."

The violin is what makes Kansas who they are. They weren't the same when they went through the period where they didn't have a violin.

Bands like Tursias wouldn't exist if Kansas hadn't introduced the idea of the violin being used in a rock band.

Edited by fraroc

The violin is what makes Kansas who they are. They weren't the same when they went through the period where they didn't have a violin.

Bands like Tursias wouldn't exist if Kansas hadn't introduced the idea of the violin being used in a rock band.

Any Kansas fan would agree with that, of course. I like the violin too, but not every music fan is open-minded enough to disassociate the violin from classical and/or country music (IF they don't like those two types of music).

EDIT: By the way, I've never heard of Tursias. Will have to YouTube them.

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

Turisas have nothing to do with Kansas. They come from a country (Finland) that has a lot of music training and folk influences play a large part in nearly every music firm in that country.

Kansas ripped off the riff from Journey.

Which Journey song? And I assume you mean the main riff? "Carry On" is wall-to-wall riffs.

Yes, the main riff. Give "I'm Gonna Leave You" a listen.

Edited by ReRushed

Sure it can. With those people, perhaps, they hear the violin and they think "country fiddle" or "southern music" or "John Mellencamp."

Crimson, PFM, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Ponty all have violin and all are adored by prog fans. But Kansas is too boogie for many. I know some who consider Kansas, and Rush for that matter, redneck rock.

Crimson, PFM, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Ponty all have violin and all are adored by prog fans. But Kansas is too boogie for many. I know some who consider Kansas, and Rush for that matter, redneck rock.

It's tough to use one word to describe Kansas. From one song to the next, or even within the same song, they can go from prog to hard rock to classical to boogie to blues to pop...you get the idea. If you weren't much of a prog fan and heard only "Carry On" and "Dust In The Wind" and "Portrait" -- three of their most popular radio songs -- would you think they were capable of non-radio proggy songs like "Magnum Opus" or "Lamplight Symphony" or "The Spider?"

• Like 1