Ghost - Popestar

x1yyz

Nocturnal Me seems like it would be great live, with visual support. It's super theatrical sounding. With I Believe, it sounds like a harkening back to the Magna Carta Cartel vibe, which is a good thing in the right context. Not what I expected on this Ghost EP, but I like it. Missionary Man is the big miss for me on the EP. Pre-listen, I read a review that compared Papa's vocals to Fred Schneider's (B52s) and I think that's spot on. The music is cool and well-executed, but there's just not enough dynamic range on this song to suit this band. Bible is solid, although there's still some of that low-register sing-speak in the verses that doesn't quite work.

Overall, not sure what the band was thinking selecting this collection of songs from the entire pantheon of cover-worthy music. Must be a deep commitment to developing the overall thematic Ghost narrative.

Nocturnal Me seems like it would be great live, with visual support. It's super theatrical sounding. With I Believe, it sounds like a harkening back to the Magna Carta Cartel vibe, which is a good thing in the right context. Not what I expected on this Ghost EP, but I like it. Missionary Man is the big miss for me on the EP. Pre-listen, I read a review that compared Papa's vocals to Fred Schneider's (B52s) and I think that's spot on. The music is cool and well-executed, but there's just not enough dynamic range on this song to suit this band. Bible is solid, although there's still some of that low-register sing-speak in the verses that doesn't quite work.

Overall, not sure what the band was thinking selecting this collection of songs from the entire pantheon of cover-worthy music. Must be a deep commitment to developing the overall thematic Ghost narrative.

Yeah, good point. At least with their other cover songs they were able to give them a Ghost-sound. Here it seems like the songs were chosen only for their titles. I will definitely give them another listen, but at least I've got Square Hammer to obsess over in the meantime :)

• Like 1

Yeah, good point. At least with their other cover songs they were able to give them a Ghost-sound. Here it seems like the songs were chosen only for their titles. I will definitely give them another listen, but at least I've got Square Hammer to obsess over in the meantime :)

Square Hammer is my jam!

The only cover that i've heard before is Missionary Man. I think they do a good job with that actually. The other three i've never even heard of the bands before let alone the songs. But they all sound fine to me. I'm guessing they play these covers true to the original and just add a little Ghost flavor to it like they do with Missionary Man.

You can hear in these covers how these songs were influential to the Ghost sound. Or at least i'm able to hear it. Nocturnal Me is the best one.

• Like 1

The only cover that i've heard before is Missionary Man. I think they do a good job with that actually. The other three i've never even heard of the bands before let alone the songs. But they all sound fine to me. I'm guessing they play these covers true to the original and just add a little Ghost flavor to it like they do with Missionary Man.

You can hear in these covers how these songs were influential to the Ghost sound. Or at least i'm able to hear it. Nocturnal Me is the best one.

Yeah. The choices seem to be very personal ones, as well as practical.

They could have sold out and covered a classic Ozzy tune or something. Actually, how kick-ass would a GHOST cover of Mr. Crowley be? :LOL:

• Like 2

They could have sold out and covered a classic Ozzy tune or something. Actually, how kick-ass would a GHOST cover of Mr. Crowley be? :LOL:

Would that have been a sell-out? An obvious choice, definitely, but super kick-ass nonetheless!

I'm curious about these masks that they wear. I can't even imagine what that must be like. I remember a hallowe'en gig we did once, with costumes and masks and wigs. Brutal. The wigs were off after about three songs. Are those masks super lightweight or something? What about the limited visibility for playing? And if that singer dude really wears a prosthesis, that's got to be uncomfortable for the whole show. Maybe this has been discussed in the other ghost thread.
  • Like 2

I'm curious about these masks that they wear. I can't even imagine what that must be like. I remember a hallowe'en gig we did once, with costumes and masks and wigs. Brutal. The wigs were off after about three songs. Are those masks super lightweight or something? What about the limited visibility for playing? And if that singer dude really wears a prosthesis, that's got to be uncomfortable for the whole show. Maybe this has been discussed in the other ghost thread.

When I saw them the singer did not wear the mask/prosthesis, and he took off the pope's hat partway through the show. The musicians did keep their masks on the entire time though. That's dedication.

• Like 2

There are videos now in which P.E. wears a very realistic looking mask - a bald dude with a moustache. Must be sweltering to perform in that.

Oh . . . not that recent after all - a couple of years ago.

Old news.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

There are videos now in which P.E. wears a very realistic looking mask - a bald dude with a moustache. Must be sweltering to perform in that.

Old news.

It's an Anton LaVey (Church of Satan) mask.

Old news.

It's an Anton LaVey (Church of Satan) mask.

Thanks for the info. Looked him up, and he seems always to have the full-on goatee thing happening. I wonder why the mask has more of the seedy Hollywood B-movie producer sort of look.

Am in receipt. Of the covers I most especially enjoyed the Eurythmics cover and Imperiet's Bible. Wow, had never heard the latter. Great song and a wonderful vehicle to showcase Ghost's diversity. Really all of the cuts are quite good. Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 1

I've definitely warmed up to Nocturnal Me!

But Missionary Man? No. Just no. I never liked the original, frankly.

I like their version of Missionary Man. Maybe it's because I haven't heard the original in 30 years, so enough time has passed where it doesn't bother me that they're doing it.

I think everyone agrees that Square Hammer is the jam though. Which is the main thing that matters since it's the only original track on this.

• Like 3

Yup. Detroit on Aug. 3 with a couple friends.

Edit: OCT. 3, not Aug. 3!

:fury:

I'm going to walk up and check this show out here in The D-! I'm really digging Cirice right now but everything I'm hearing is sitting very well on my ear... Chronos, let's connect before the show for a beer or six... I live in Detroit, work in MidTown. I'll hope to connect with others from the board for this show... Rock on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Ao4t_fe0I

I know it is not from Popestar but it was the first song from Ghost that landed on my playlist while letting YouTube pick songs after I was listening to Tool and Porcupine Tree. I'm listening to this one again right now and Square Hammer is up next... very good stuff!

Edited by Huge Ackman

Yup. Detroit on Aug. 3 with a couple friends.

Edit: OCT. 3, not Aug. 3!

:fury:

I'm going to walk up and check this show out here in The D-! I'm really digging Cirice right now but everything I'm hearing is sitting very well on my ear... Chronos, let's connect before the show for a beer or six... I live in Detroit, work in MidTown. I'll hope to connect with others from the board for this show... Rock on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Ao4t_fe0I

I know it is not from Popestar but it was the first song from Ghost that landed on my playlist while letting YouTube pick songs after I was listening to Tool and Porcupine Tree. I'm listening to this one again right now and Square Hammer is up next... very good stuff! I get a Tool meets Alice In Chains feel from most of their tunes....

Edited by Huge Ackman
  • Like 1

Huge,

I'm coming up from Ohio, picking up a friend in Ann Arbor on the way. Not sure if we're going to have time for any pre-gaming activity. I'll send you a PM here momentarily.

Meanwhile, have you heard Year Zero yet?