Frost*

stoopid

Two pages in, and no mention of a certain Frost of the Celtic variety?

Well that isn't the point of THIS thread (there's plenty of silly word-association threads already), but while you mention it...

• Like 1

Hey guys...another friend of mine recommended this band, but we had to stop talking before he was able to recommend me a starting point. Which of their albums would you say it´s best to start with?

Hey guys...another friend of mine recommended this band, but we had to stop talking before he was able to recommend me a starting point. Which of their albums would you say it´s best to start with?

Their albums vary a bit. The last one is my favorite (Falling Satellites), but it leans a bit towards the pop side. Their first two albums are, at times, much heavier and more guitar focused. But I really don't see any fan of (crossover) prog not liking any of their material. They have received good reviews on various prog sites. They're a bit of a cult thing right now, but slowly gaining traction.

There's a bunch of youtube links at the beginning of the thread. I'd run with those, the material that resonates - get that album.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

As a natural extension of Frost*, the guitarist and singer has his own side project called Lonely Robot who features Craig Blundell (Steven Wilson and Frost) on drums, and a few guest female vocalists. To my surprise Lonely Robot is almost as awesome as Frost! And not in a samey, predictable way.

From the latest album The Big Dream:

From the first album Please Come Home:

Gotta love Prog-Dubstep. I was a little bit milquetoast on this album right out of the gate, but it's really grown on me, and is now in my regular driving-music rotation.

Not sure I'd call it dub-step, maybe stutter-step? They are using a popular plugin that inserts silence (splitting up music) in musical time. Dub-step, for me, has always been about the bending of notes in strange ways, especially bass notes, which prior to dub-step wasn't really a thing in the way it ended up getting adopted.

Example of prog with what I would classify as dub-step:

http://youtu.be/IVZHNPyMhMo?t=2m14s

Edited by stoopid

New Lonely Robot (John Mitchell) side project, 4th album coming July 2020. Many of us were concerned that the end of his trilogy meant the end to that project.

https://www.facebook...1070439/?type=3

97410831_10158514301080439_4693126183271792640_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=D-QfoXsBpGUAX_7X4Jc&_nc_ht=scontent.flas1-1.fna&_nc_tp=6&oh=8131a7942a8b55d0baba56d6ee15e890&oe=5EE14817

Lonely Robot, the project masterminded by producer, guitarist and singer/songwriter John Mitchell (Kino, Frost*, Arena, It Bites), are set to release their fourth album ‘Feelings Are Good’ on the 17th July 2020, a fresh start following the conclusion of the ‘The Astronaut Trilogy’.

John comments: “‘Feelings Are Good’ is a bit of a departure from the first three Lonely Robot albums or ‘The Astronaut Trilogy’ as it has now lovingly become known.

On ‘Feelings Are Good’, I wanted to explore more personal themes and the songs are very much about individual experiences and narratives that I believe had been the cornerstones, good and bad, to my life. The long tall and short of it is that we’re back on planet Earth, and I have a personal lyrical axe to grind!”

‘Feelings Are Good’ will be available as a Limited Edition CD Digipak, Gatefold 2LP+CD and as Digital Album in both 16 & 24 bit versions (all including 2 bonus tracks). The artwork is once again by Paul Tippett / Vitamin P (Black Star Riders, Frost*), and John says of the cover: "The artwork is meant to be a little disturbing. The closed eyes and taped over mouth are supposed to represent how people are very guarded with their emotions and what better way of emoting them than through the windows to the soul and the smile?"

The full track-listing is as follows:

1. Feelings Are Good

2. Into The Lo-Fi

3. Spiders

4. Crystalline

5. Life Is A Sine Wave

6. Armour For My Heart

7. Suburbia

8. The Silent Life

9. Keeping People As Pets

10. Army Of One

11. Grief Is The Price Of Love

12. The Silent Life (Orchestral Version)

13. Crystalline (Orchestral Version)

Lonely Robot will hit the road in December 2020 for some select headline dates, and you can find a list of those below:

Dec 13th Islington Assembly Hall, London, UK

Dec 16th Riff, Bochum, GER

Dec 17th Das Rind, Rüsselsheim, GER

Dec 18th Muziekgieterij, Maastricht, NL

Dec 20th De Boerderij, Zoetermeer, NL

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 2

Milliontown is my favorite (I listened to that one in the car a few days back.) I have their second album too, but I didn't like it as much. Stopped there.

Like the first and about half of the second. Bailed after that.

At least you're consistent, if not a bit repetitive. ;)

• Like 1

Frost* and Lonely Robot are both pretty decent prog bands - looking forward to the new Lonely Robot release.

A couple of other interesting progsters with recent releases

Pattern Seeking Animals - Prehensile Tales

I Am The Manic Whale - Things Unseen

Edited by zepphead

New Frost is damn good.

It's interesting. I'm with Tony, I'm on the fence to its overall goodness. Seems to be missing the diverse character representative on their prior albums. These may be cutting room floor tracks/takes, polished up. To that end, for leftovers they still taste good enough, but you can taste the 2 days in the fridge.

I purchased the new boxed set, the remix of Experiments In Mass Appeal is really good. Can't notice a lot of difference in the remasters of Milliontown or Falling Satellites, but they sound fine none-the-less. Haven't dove into all the extra material yet, did listen to a few tracks from each of the live shows and they sounded fine, good even for live board recordings.

https://burningshed....-winters_boxset

Edited by stoopid