• Anthrax
    • Slayer
    • All Of Them/Can't Decide/Don't Care

Metallica

Slayer

Megadeth

Anthrax

Why is Anthrax so low?

Because for whatever reason I never got their appeal...to me the big four is a big five:

Metallica

Slayer

Megadeth

Exodus

Testament

Anthrax never appealed to me.

What have you heard from Anthrax?

If I were to make my own list, Testament would take the place of Slayer. They're much better in every way possible. Exodus? Nah. They're solid traditional thrash but never did anything huge enough to be ranked ahead of anyone in the big four.

I've only heard the eighties run of Anthrax albums. That was back around 2006/7.

Slayer are not my thing at all now but I think they are beyond deserving of a place in the big four.

I could happily say big four with Testament instead of Anthrax but Exodus were amazing. Again not heard everything.

The big 4?-----What?

The big four of America thrash metal. They're the most popular bands of the genre and helped it become popular among metal listeners in the 80s and early 90s.

They've been called the big four for many years now.

I think the big four originated circa rust in peace.

Since then its become more the big one and the three far less popular washed up ones....

The only one that I would say is washed up is Slayer. They ran out of ideas ages ago. Megadeth and Anthrax have continued to release great new music.

• Like 1

The big 4?-----What?

The big four of America thrash metal. They're the most popular bands of the genre and helped it become popular among metal listeners in the 80s and early 90s.

Since then its become more the big one and the three far less popular washed up ones....

The only one that I would say is washed up is Slayer. They ran out of ideas ages ago. Megadeth and Anthrax have continued to release great new music.

I think Slayer released better albums this side of 2000 than Metallica.

I won't argue Megadeth. Right now they are the best out of this group.

Testament release better albums now than any of the big four.

Overkill and Testament are better than any of them!

I saw Overkill when they opened for Symphony X last year and hated them. Seriously, the drummer was pure crap and wouldn't get off his ride cymbal. Plus, they were full of themselves. That was actually the first time I had heard Overkill and I was quite surprised to learn they were popular and had been around for ages.

Overkill and Testament are better than any of them!

I saw Overkill when they opened for Symphony X last year and hated them. Seriously, the drummer was pure crap and wouldn't get off his ride cymbal. Plus, they were full of themselves. That was actually the first time I had heard Overkill and I was quite surprised to learn they were popular and had been around for ages.

Well what can I say, I love their albums, especially the last three! :haz:

• Like 2

The big 4?-----What?

Jeff has gone Dave too, these guys were the integral sound and magic of slayer. Slayer were untouchable for a time, not now.

I'll go for megadeth now.

Of the four Metallica is the only one I still listen to on occasion. Never dug Slayer. Life is too short I prefer jazz.
  • Like 1

I had never heard of the term "the big 4" until today. I have only followed Metallica out of these four though.

I've been familiar with the term The Big Four since 2004
  • Like 1

I voted for Metallica, but the best of these isn't even represented: Teatament.

It would have been a big five if Testament had released their debut at the same time as the rest. The Legacy didn't come out until 1987 and by that point, the other four were off and running, owning the genre.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

The big 4?-----What?

Jeff has gone Dave too, these guys were the integral sound and magic of slayer. Slayer were untouchable for a time, not now.

I'll go for megadeth now.

Megadeth overall but Mustaine is kind of

Losing me atm.

I voted for Metallica, but the best of these isn't even represented: Teatament.

It would have been a big five if Testament had released their debut at the same time as the rest. The Legacy didn't come out until 1987 and by that point, the other four were off and running, owning the genre.

Teatament owns it now for sure.