#41 TexMike

TexMike

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1292 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, travel

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:22 PM

View PostPhantom, on 12 September 2015 - 08:51 PM, said:

Ged pretty much said it all in Beyond the Lighted Stage. There's no replacing anyone in this band.  If they were to go out on the road with another drummer, it wouldn't be as Rush. It would be in poor taste to do so, and not at all reflective of the friendship, respect and love that they have for one another.

I dunno.  I think it would only be in "poor taste" if they never consulted with Neil prior or did it to spite him in some way.  If he gave it his blessing, I'd have no problem with them continuing without him.  There was a Rush prior to him being hired, after all.

Whether or not it would be good or accepted by the masses is obviously another question entirely.

Sponsored Post

#42 hcm

hcm

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 05:32 AM

If Alex and Geddy toured live you know the fans would come out to hear Rush tunes. If they did it without Neil it would be a nostalgia band, and they have said many times they don't want that. There will be no NEW Rush music without Neil.  Can and will Alex and Geddy make music and tour without Neil,, it is possible but I really don't think you will be hearing Rush tunes live if they do.

Edited by hcm, 13 September 2015 - 05:39 AM.

#43 JBsDWdrums

JBsDWdrums

The Seeker

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Drumming in all styles...music...biking...art...cooking...sci fi...good horror movies....Rush

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:24 PM

Nope...its not Rush....not a fan of rotating replacements....call it something else if that happens....its next to impossible to decide what the band "Yes" is......that's one thing Rush has had all these years....I don't want a Rush cheesfest band.....

#44 gypsy muse

gypsy muse

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 544 posts
  • Interests:hiking, art, making stuff, reading, antique shopping

Posted 13 September 2015 - 10:44 PM

View PostKhan, on 09 September 2015 - 09:02 AM, said:

It just literally makes me sick to my stomach to read this article. I've never been as depressed over a band as I am at this point.
that's exactly how I felt! Just heart sick. This article stuck a dagger in my hopes.

#45 gypsy muse

gypsy muse

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 544 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 10:49 PM

I hope Neil changes his mind about things

#46 HalfwayToGone

HalfwayToGone

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 867 posts
  • Interests:Music—listening and performing.

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:21 AM

This is worth repeating at the risk of sounding like a broken record.  The band and Neil have talked a lot about the end of touring.  None of them has suggested at any point that it means the end of any and all playing or being Rush.  Playing and touring are not the same thing.  Neil objects to being away from his family for extended amounts of time, and he suffers from the physical demands of playing 3 hours every other night for a month or two or three.  Playing one-off shows or a few nights in one city is much less demanding, and doesn't involve any of the things Neil would find objectionable about a tour.  Recording and writing an album is more involved than playing a couple of shows once in a blue moon.  They'll take a nice long break and make a little extra income from the live video.  Then they'll eventually think about getting together to write at some point when they're missing each other for a while, and then maybe they'll decide to release new music and maybe they'll considering playing a show or two on each coast and/or Toronto.

Edited by HalfwayToGone, 14 September 2015 - 06:27 AM.

#47 hcm

hcm

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:16 AM

View PostJBsDWdrums, on 13 September 2015 - 08:24 PM, said:

Nope...its not Rush....not a fan of rotating replacements....call it something else if that happens....its next to impossible to decide what the band "Yes" is......that's one thing Rush has had all these years....I don't want a Rush cheesfest band.....

Exacty

#48 FOH Lights

FOH Lights

The Seeker

• Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:10 AM

View PostHalfwayToGone, on 14 September 2015 - 06:21 AM, said:

.  Playing one-off shows or a few nights in one city is much less demanding, and doesn't involve any of the things Neil would find objectionable about a tour.  
That's actually not really true. They're all perfectionists and playing "one offs" would require the same preparation by both the band & crew, as it would for a regular tour. I can't see them investing that amount of time & money into a venture that would essentially be a losing proposition.

#49 mrfriendly

mrfriendly

The Seeker

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:11 AM

I think there is no doubt that nothing will come from these guys certainly in the next 3-4 years. But I am wondering within a decade or so or right before they hit 70 if the spark reignites and even Neil decides to do some kind of farewell gig. McCartney and the stones are still touring well into their 70s. They all need a rest no doubt but I have a hard time believing that the LA show is the last time you will see those 3 on stage together. Obviously there won't be another full on tour and I am not even thinking they will do a big final show. They have already done the rock and roll hall of fame so obviously that is out (the way the police reunited for that). But nobody that Zeppelin would ever play a show after bonham died and it happened. I feel like these 3 will be on stage together again for something. Whether thats just a full on concert, small residency at one venue or just one performance for something, I just can't see this being it. But again it definitely won't be for a while.

#50 upstateNYfan

upstateNYfan

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:56 AM

It's awful to say, but I think the only prayer we have to see them again is if Neil changes his mind and they're all healthy. One-offs or a 2 night thing in NYC or Toronto just doesn't make much business sense, unless something changes drastically near term.

#51 toadbrother

toadbrother

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:40 AM

View Postmrfriendly, on 14 September 2015 - 10:11 AM, said:

I think there is no doubt that nothing will come from these guys certainly in the next 3-4 years. But I am wondering within a decade or so or right before they hit 70 if the spark reignites and even Neil decides to do some kind of farewell gig. McCartney and the stones are still touring well into their 70s. They all need a rest no doubt but I have a hard time believing that the LA show is the last time you will see those 3 on stage together. Obviously there won't be another full on tour and I am not even thinking they will do a big final show. They have already done the rock and roll hall of fame so obviously that is out (the way the police reunited for that). But nobody that Zeppelin would ever play a show after bonham died and it happened. I feel like these 3 will be on stage together again for something. Whether thats just a full on concert, small residency at one venue or just one performance for something, I just can't see this being it. But again it definitely won't be for a while.

Charlie Watts is a great drummer, very underrated, but I'm going to be kind of blunt, he doesn't play anything like what Neil plays. Neil could probably play a Stones' gig with one hand tied behind his back.

There are some kinds of music that are, well, just pure athleticism, where it's strength, dexterity, speed and endurance. Watts' job is keep a steady beat, and as timekeepers go, he's one of the best, but Neil is a whole other kind of drummer. I have my doubts he'll be able to play anywhere that level when he's in his late-60s. If they don't tour soon, I think they never will, and seeing as it is clear Neil has no intention of touring any time soon, as sad as it is, I think he's finished.

#52 toadbrother

toadbrother

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:41 AM

View PostFOH Lights, on 14 September 2015 - 09:10 AM, said:

View PostHalfwayToGone, on 14 September 2015 - 06:21 AM, said:

.  Playing one-off shows or a few nights in one city is much less demanding, and doesn't involve any of the things Neil would find objectionable about a tour.  
That's actually not really true. They're all perfectionists and playing "one offs" would require the same preparation by both the band & crew, as it would for a regular tour. I can't see them investing that amount of time & money into a venture that would essentially be a losing proposition.

I remember John Paul Jones talking about the Led Zeppelin O2 concert, and mentioning the weeks of preparation and rehearsal that went into it, and how disappointed he was that they didn't go on tour. LZ literally rehearsed for a tour and did one concert.

#53 gypsy muse

gypsy muse

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 544 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:20 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 11 September 2015 - 11:23 AM, said:

View PostHalfwayToGone, on 11 September 2015 - 10:43 AM, said:

The way I read it was not that Alex's health was the reason they decided to stop touring--it was the reason Neil agreed to do it at the time they did it.  Alex wasn't sure how he'd recover from surgery and wasn't sure how his arthritis would feel if they waited, so he said he'd rather do it sooner than later.  That was all back in November.  Now Alex has mixed feelings about touring, Geddy is all in and Neil is "done."  Alex has stated more recently that he could see doing the odd show or few nights of shows here and there rather than a tour.  That seems to be a realistic scenario for all involved.  Neil's objections are with being away from family for months at a time, and the physical toll of playing 3 hours every other night for months at a time.  No need for any of that if it's just one show or 4-5 nights in one city.

Neil doesn't need the band anymore. He's got his books. It wouldn't surprise me if we see him start dabbling in writing fiction before long.
I think you're right, he'll probably get more active as an author.

#54 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27722 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:31 PM

View Postgypsy muse, on 14 September 2015 - 01:20 PM, said:

The way I read it was not that Alex's health was the reason they decided to stop touring--it was the reason Neil agreed to do it at the time they did it.  Alex wasn't sure how he'd recover from surgery and wasn't sure how his arthritis would feel if they waited, so he said he'd rather do it sooner than later.  That was all back in November.  Now Alex has mixed feelings about touring, Geddy is all in and Neil is "done."  Alex has stated more recently that he could see doing the odd show or few nights of shows here and there rather than a tour.  That seems to be a realistic scenario for all involved.  Neil's objections are with being away from family for months at a time, and the physical toll of playing 3 hours every other night for months at a time.  No need for any of that if it's just one show or 4-5 nights in one city.

Neil doesn't need the band anymore. He's got his books. It wouldn't surprise me if we see him start dabbling in writing fiction before long.
Geez. More snooze fest literature is just what this world needs. I prefer him behind a drum kit and nowhere else...

Edited by Narps, 14 September 2015 - 01:32 PM.

#55 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21767 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:52 PM

View PostNarps, on 14 September 2015 - 01:31 PM, said:

Geez. More snooze fest literature is just what this world needs. I prefer him behind a drum kit and nowhere else...

I thought you didn't like to read? Personally I like his books. I've always enjoyed reading them.

#56 hcm

hcm

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:57 PM

Since I don't travel I really like Neil's books, gives me a glimpse of other places/cultures from a different perspective than your standard visitor.

#57 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21767 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:00 PM

View Posthcm, on 14 September 2015 - 02:57 PM, said:

Since I don't travel I really like Neil's books, gives me a glimpse of other places/cultures from a different perspective than your standard visitor.

That's a big reason that I like them as well. Plus the photos are always interesting.

#58 Narps

Narps

• Members
  • 27722 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:38 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 14 September 2015 - 02:52 PM, said:

I thought you didn't like to read? Personally I like his books. I've always enjoyed reading them.
I tried a couple of his books just because it was him and was bored to tears. His blog or whatever it is too. Major bore fest but that's just me....

#59 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21767 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:14 PM

View PostNarps, on 14 September 2015 - 04:38 PM, said:

I tried a couple of his books just because it was him and was bored to tears. His blog or whatever it is too. Major bore fest but that's just me....

I don't think it's just you, but I think there are a lot of people who do like his books.

#60 Narps

Narps

• Members
  • 27722 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:16 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 14 September 2015 - 05:14 PM, said:

View PostNarps, on 14 September 2015 - 04:38 PM, said:

I don't think it's just you, but I think there are a lot of people who do like his books.
That's cool...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users