Yukon Blade Grinder: Phil Collins pens open letter to Neil Peart

Yukon Blade Grinder

70 replies to this topic

#1 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

The Grinder of all Yukonian Blades

• Members *
  • 14370 posts
  • Interests:Picking it up. Laying it down.
    Staying on the inside track.
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:33 PM

Posted Image

An open letter to Neil

my drinking partner

and drum guru:

So here it is. The end. Time for one door to close, and another to open. The Yukon Blade Grinder dialed me up, and told me about the scenario.  I just couldn't leave them hanging, so here goes.

Saturday you will play the Forum in that dangerous shithole known as LA. The last Rush concert will bring many to tears...out of love...and from a love lost. It seems in music, as in life, when the last note is played or the final breath is drawn, we sit in shock over the finality of it all. No doubt to be the case here. Forty years of sweat. Forty years of joy. Forty years of tendinitis development. It all hurts. So soak it in.

I remember laying my sticks down on the floor tom after my final concert with Genesis. Elation wouldn't be a good word to describe my feelings. Relief was more like it. I did my bit for the band, and was ready to move on to other pastures to see what lay beyond my purview. Something else was out there and I needed to find out for myself what exists "beyond the cymbals".

Boy was I an idiot. I missed my friends.

Your gig is a gravy train on biscuit wheels old chap. Don't let it go. Persevere until you drop. You've got a full tank, as witnessed from this tour. The tabloids raved about the band. Not one ill review to be found, except one on some website called "The Rush Forum"...written by a complete tosser.

Don't quit and let your belly hang over your belt. I know the story of "being" there for your family. I respect that so much Neil. I respect it so much that I think you should put their asses on a tricked out bus, and take them with you to see America again and again. But that's just me, your friend Phil.

Do us a favor.  Stay in the game.

Play when you want to play.
Record when you want to record.

Never give up performing with Alex and Geddy. What you have is too special. Your little one will certainly miss her Uncle Dirk and Uncle Lerxt. Wouldn't want to deprive her of that now would you?

Take it from me, a man who left his mates to put on his Mr. Jangles dancing shoes. Sure I made millions. I sold more records than when I was with Genesis. Made the papers and everything.

To this day I still ask myself "What if"?

Don't be that guy.
Posted Image
Your friend and fellow drummer,
Phil

P.S.--Where's that double bass pedal I loaned you back in 2005? I need it.

P.S.S.--You must visit Goatnut,TN...there's this really cool cave.

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1, 01 August 2016 - 01:30 PM.
fixed photo link

Sponsored Post

#2 x1yyz

x1yyz

The Shark Whisperer

• Members
  • 8821 posts
  • Interests:Stuff. And things.

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:36 PM

Listen to Phil, Neil.  Listen to Phil!

#3 Maverick

Maverick

SWEDGIN!

• Members *
  • 24290 posts
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:38 PM

You are a freaking genius! You know that?

No homo...

#4 BowlCity

BowlCity

Cutler's Like a Knife (but it feels so right)

• Members *
  • 10245 posts
  • Interests:Video games, computer programming, guitar, Da Bears and Cubs

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:44 PM

:haz:

#5 greyfriar

greyfriar

River Rhine BurgerMeister

• Members
  • 7919 posts
  • Interests:Music
    Munros in Scottish Highland
    Constructing weird grammar phrases in TRF posts
    It is what it is - and forever!

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:52 PM

Wooohooo. More than great, as always. :notworthy:
CU tomorrow, dude. :cheers:

#6 troutman

troutman

My views are fishy

• Members *
  • 44549 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:52 PM

:lol:

Thats awesome :haz:

Now go get you kids a dog. :P

#7 condemned2bfree

condemned2bfree

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:56 PM

This is very good, I like the sentiment.

#8 Supersyl

Supersyl

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:08 PM

Give them a year, and they will all reconvene at the brand new refurbished Le Stu-Stu-Stu-dio! :)

#9 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

• Members *
  • 14370 posts
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:21 PM

View PostDr. Sheldon Cooper, on 30 July 2015 - 03:38 PM, said:

You are a freaking genius! You know that?

No homo...
So none of this then?
Posted Image

#10 lifeson90

lifeson90

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1117 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:48 PM

trying to figure out where sheets of double glazing come into all this

#11 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

• Members *
  • 14370 posts
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:56 PM

View Postlifeson90, on 30 July 2015 - 04:48 PM, said:

trying to figure out where sheets of double glazing come into all this
I don't there's an answer for you on this one dude

#12 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 3782 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:08 PM

Neil's been a closet Phil Collins fan for years. He's known to be heard singing SusSudio in the shower.

#13 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 3782 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:09 PM

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 30 July 2015 - 03:33 PM, said:

Posted Image

An open letter to Neil

my drinking partner

and drum guru:

So here it is. The end. Time for one door to close, and another to open. The Yukon Blade Grinder dialed me up, and told me about the scenario.  I just couldn't leave them hanging, so here goes.

Saturday you will play the Forum in that dangerous shithole known as LA. The last Rush concert will bring many to tears...out of love...and from a love lost. It seems in music, as in life, when the last note is played or the final breath is drawn, we sit in shock over the finality of it all. No doubt to be the case here. Forty years of sweat. Forty years of joy. Forty years of tendinitis development. It all hurts. So soak it in.

I remember laying my sticks down on the floor tom after my final concert with Genesis. Elation wouldn't be a good word to describe my feelings. Relief was more like it. I did my bit for the band, and was ready to move on to other pastures to see what lay beyond my purview. Something else was out there and I needed to find out for myself what exists "beyond the cymbals".

Your gig is a gravy train on biscuit wheels old chap. Don't let it go. Persevere until you drop. You've got a full tank, as witnessed from this tour. The tabloids raved about the band. Not one ill review to be found, except one on some website called "The Rush Forum"...written by a complete tosser.

Don't quit and let your belly hang over your belt. I know the story of "being" there for your family. I respect that so much Neil. I respect it so much that I think you should put their asses on a tricked out bus, and take them with you to see America again and again. But that's just me, you friend Phil.

Never give up performing with Alex and Geddy. What you have is too special. Your little one will certainly miss her Uncle Dirk and Uncle Lerxt. Wouldn't want to deprive her of that now would you?

Take it from me, a man who left his mates to put on his Mr. Jangles dancing shoes. Sure I made millions. I sold more records than when I was with Genesis. Made the papers and everything.

Don't be that guy.
Posted Image
Phil

Is Phil replicating Geddy's raccoon hat hairstyle?

#14 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

• Members *
  • 14370 posts
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:17 PM

View Post2112FirstStreet, on 30 July 2015 - 05:09 PM, said:

Posted Image

An open letter to Neil

my drinking partner

and drum guru:

Don't quit and let your belly hang over your belt. I know the story of "being" there for your family. I respect that so much Neil. I respect it so much that I think you should put their asses on a tricked out bus, and take them with you to see America again and again. But that's just me, you friend Phil.

Don't be that guy.
Posted Image
Phil

Actually that is the cap of choice here in Goatnut,TN

#15 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 3782 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:20 PM

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 30 July 2015 - 05:17 PM, said:

Posted Image

An open letter to Neil

my drinking partner

and drum guru:

Don't be that guy.
Posted Image
Phil

Gotta kill it and make it yourself right?

#16 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

• Members *
  • 14370 posts
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:21 PM

View Post2112FirstStreet, on 30 July 2015 - 05:20 PM, said:

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 30 July 2015 - 05:17 PM, said:

Posted Image

An open letter to Neil

my drinking partner

and drum guru:

Don't be that guy.
Posted Image
Phil

Gotta kill it and make it yourself right?

Real men do...like Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone

#17 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 3782 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:26 PM

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 30 July 2015 - 05:21 PM, said:

Come on man, it's 2016. Real men buy the China made ones at Walmart.

#18 toadbrother

toadbrother

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:37 PM

Tony has a really cranky look on his face in that picture. Did Mike fart or something?

#19 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

• Members *
  • 14370 posts
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:40 PM

View Posttoadbrother, on 30 July 2015 - 05:37 PM, said:

Tony has a really cranky look on his face in that picture. Did Mike fart or something?
They look really happy though right? Finding that pic was a goldmine for the YBG

#20 Xanadu

Xanadu

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1703 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:59 PM

View Post2112FirstStreet, on 30 July 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

Neil's been a closet Phil Collins fan for years. He's known to be heard singing SusSudio in the shower.

:musicnote: There's a girl that's been on my mind....
All the time...Su-Su-Sudio" :musicnote:

Who the hell names their kid "Sussudio"? :eh: :P

Edited by Xanadu, 30 July 2015 - 06:00 PM.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Yukon Blade Grinder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users