Windows 10?

tas7

Anyone having issues posting with Microsoft Edge browser and posting on the Rush Forum? I can't get Microsoft edge to allow me to quote another post.

It took me two tries to quote this post with Edge. But honestly, I couldn't do that at all with IE11...nor could I type posts without every other character missing...

So at least it's an improvement from Internet Explorer...

There was a thread about this a few months ago and it was suggested by some to not upgrade it right away. They said it was best to wait a few months for all the bugs to be worked out and then give it a try. That's what I think I will do.

I'm not sure how long the free upgrade is available but probably if they get the bugs worked out is when it'll start costing money.

From what I understand, you have a year to install it after it is downloaded to your PC.

Ah...but you have to download it first then.

We just put it on our computer & now we can't use our Internet at all...but then I'm tech challenged...I sense a geek squad computer rescue call is in our near future... : /

I reserved my upgrade well before the actual win10 upgrade was available/ready.

What happens is windows will download a win10 downloader (KB3035583) that must be installed before you can download and install the upgrade to win10.

I had issues with the download/upgrade so I decide to stick with win7.

I spend several hours getting rid of win10 and the downloader.

1) You must un-install the downloader KB3035583 first. Uninstall this update.

2) Then you must hide the windows 10 update.

3) KB3035583 will continue to try to download so you must hide it.

4) Once the KB3035583 is removed and hidden, you should have no more issue. If you decide to update later, just bring back the hidden updates.

Installed Win 10 Pro on a separate partition, and now I'm "dual booting" Win7 & Win10. Runs like a dream!

Didn't think I would like Win10 but I LOVE IT. Super fast, highly customizable, great interface, runs apps.

There are however some privacy issues with Windows 10.

I created a PDF highlighting the important privacy settings you should look at. I recommend these settings.

PDF - Windows 10 Privacy Settings

There are also a number of ways to drastically speed up Win10. I will post a pdf of those soon.

**Guess I should add that I haven't found any programs that won't run on Win 10. All of my audio and video software, printers, cameras and external drives installed and are running perfectly. I even installed Office 2002 onto it just fine!

Edited by launchpad67a
  • Like 2

Windows 10 still will not let me set a custom photo for the lock screen. "Choose a different photo".

0/10.

Sure you can.

1) Go to ... Settings > Personalization > Lock Screen

2) Change the Background setting from Windows spotlight to Picture.

3) Browse and select your picture.

4) Done!

Windows 10 still will not let me set a custom photo for the lock screen. "Choose a different photo".

0/10.

Sure you can.

1) Go to ... Settings > Personalization > Lock Screen

2) Change the Background setting from Windows spotlight to Picture.

3) Browse and select your picture.

4) Done!

I'm aware of the steps. Nothing happens when I change from spotlight to picture, after trying repeatedly with multiple restarts. No further options appear, especially not the desirable "browse" option. Broken on my end!

Windows 10 still will not let me set a custom photo for the lock screen. "Choose a different photo".0/10.
Sure you can.1) Go to ... Settings > Personalization > Lock Screen2) Change the Background setting from Windows spotlight to Picture.3) Browse and select your picture.4) Done!
I'm aware of the steps. Nothing happens when I change from spotlight to picture, after trying repeatedly with multiple restarts. No further options appear, especially not the desirable "browse" option. Broken on my end!
Did you upgrade to Win10 from Windows 8 or Windows 7? Or is your Win10 a clean install? Reason I ask is because the upgrade apparently has a registry bug that causes this issue. There's a fix. Let me know and I can help more. Edited by launchpad67a

Windows 10 still will not let me set a custom photo for the lock screen. "Choose a different photo".0/10.
Sure you can.1) Go to ... Settings > Personalization > Lock Screen2) Change the Background setting from Windows spotlight to Picture.3) Browse and select your picture.4) Done!
Did you upgrade to Win10 from Windows 8 or Windows 7? Or is your Win10 a clean install? Reason I ask is because the upgrade apparently has a registry bug that causes this issue. There's a fix. Let me know and I can help more.

Windows 7 uprade, and not a clean install. My windows 7 was actually just about broken to the core with registry issues, and upgrading to windows 10 breathed new life into this laptop, fixing everything. Thing used to fail to boot 80% of the time, in addition to generic slowness.

Did you upgrade to Win10 from Windows 8 or Windows 7? Or is your Win10 a clean install? Reason I ask is because the upgrade apparently has a registry bug that causes this issue. There's a fix. Let me know and I can help more.

Windows 7 uprade, and not a clean install. My windows 7 was actually just about broken to the core with registry issues, and upgrading to windows 10 breathed new life into this laptop, fixing everything. Thing used to fail to boot 80% of the time, in addition to generic slowness.

Alright. So here is a fix, but it involves editing the registry so you need to be careful.

We'll be making a backup, so it's pretty safe. If you're not comfortable doing this, then don't do it.

1) Type "regedit" into the main search box (start button), and Open the Regedit program that is listed.

2) Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Lock Screen

3) Right-Click on the main Lock Screen Folder and select Export. (we're making a backup here)

4) Name the file and Save It to your computer where you remember how to find it (if needed).

5) Download and Save this zip file: LockScreenReg

6) Extract the file (lock_screen_reg.reg) from the Zip file.

7) Double-Click the "lock_screen_reg.reg" file, and it will run and rewrite the registry entry.

At this point you should have control over the lock screen settings, so check it.

If not, reboot and check again.

If something goes wrong, you can simply use the backup Lock Screen Folder .reg file that you saved in step 4. Just double-click the .reg file and it will rewrite the entry back to the way it was.

Let me know how it goes!