The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

it's Amazing how they were able to turn the car as it were with RN.

It's Still SA.....but adding new flares to avoid the stale trap.

Mick

They have the lamest fanbase though. The numbers that jumped ship with Unia...I've even read scathing reviews from the time of RN's release.

I think fans wanted a power metal AC/DC. Idiots.

When you get to Stones...you might be wondering if you even have the right album haha

Love that record...it is full on SA in AOR mode (for much of it).

i hate fans like that

listen to some new rrecords if you still honestly don't like it.......jump off.

don't just dismiss like a meat head.

Mick

Mick

They have the lamest fanbase though. The numbers that jumped ship with Unia...I've even read scathing reviews from the time of RN's release.

When you get to Stones...you might be wondering if you even have the right album haha

i hate fans like that

listen to some new rrecords if you still honestly don't like it.......jump off.

don't just dismiss like a meat head.

Mick

I will say though that I do understand why fans have in many ways not enjoyed the last three records. They are fizzling out I think but not many bands shine bright for decades.

The Ninth Hour is passable. It has Life, which got me through a lot of bad times this year. But the album is mostly just an echo of past glories.

• Like 1

Mick

On the other side of the coin, I don't care for the diehard fans who say shit like "They're not power metal, or metal at all, they're simply a rock band, don't profile them!"...People say this (and I don't believe they believe this) because Tony and Henkka have said that they prefer to think themselves as a rock group rather than power metal this or progressive metal that. That's fine, you can do that as artists, but it doesn't change the fact that your music falls under the stylistic standards of these genres. You're a progressive power / symphonic metal band and the only time you deviated from that was on Stones Grow Her Name.. And people hated Stones Grow Her Name (I like it a lot)! ;)

Sonata Arctica is a band that's been pigeon holed. It's the fate of many bands, and while I can see how it's annoying to the artists, it's a small price to pay.

As an artist, you're still more than free to break the rules if you have the balls.

Unfortunately, after SGHN, we found that Tony didn't have the balls to continue "breaking the rules" so wildly.

At the time of Unia, Tony did something admirable which is deviate from his standard and create something more authentic and personal.

At the time of Pariah's Child, Tony contradicted himself, and sold out completely. During the promotion of the album he basically said something along the lines of, "This is my job, selling albums is a business. I need to appeal to my fans, so Pariah's Child is a return to older Sonata. We even have the old logo back!"

Now obviously, Pariah's Child is still new Sonata (just with the old logo slapped on), but even just saying that was just lame.

Edited by Mr. Not

Mick

On the other side of the coin, I don't care for the diehard fans who say shit like "They're not power metal, or metal at all, they're simply a rock band, don't profile them!"...People say this (and I don't believe they believe this) because Tony and Henkka have said that they prefer to think themselves as a rock group rather than power metal this or progressive metal that. That's fine, you can do that as artists, but it doesn't change the fact that your music falls under the stylistic standards of these genres. You're a progressive power / symphonic metal band and the only time you deviated from that was on Stones Grow Her Name.. And people hated Stones Grow Her Name (I like it a lot)! ;)

Sonata Arctica is a band that's been pigeon holed. It's the fate of many bands, and while I can see how it's annoying to the artists, it's a small price to pay.

As an artist, you're still more than free to break the rules if you have the balls.

Unfortunately, after SGHN, we found that Tony didn't have the balls to continue "breaking the rules" so wildly.

At the time of Unia, Tony did something admirable which is deviate from his standard and create something more authentic and personal.

At the time of Pariah's Child, Tony contradicted himself, and sold out completely. During the promotion of the album he basically said something along the lines of, "This is my job, selling albums is a business. I need to appeal to my fans, so Pariah's Child is a return to older Sonata. We even have the old logo back!"

Now obviously, Pariah's Child is still new Sonata (just with the old logo slapped on), but even just saying that was just lame.

I agree with this. All my favourite bands have at some point deviated from there original sound, and in a way denied they ever fully belonged to that scene (which frustrates me as I always think a band should be proud to admit they pleased a crowd, not deny them).

But Sonata on the last two albums have backtracked a lot I think. PC has some goofy moments that are all new sounds (Cloud Factory, X Marks The Spot, Blood), but then a couple of moments reek of trying to hard to please (When The Wolves Die Young is so unexceptional it is unbelievable, but it feels like fan servicing of the worst kind as it won a few back).

As for The Ninth Hour, I will say that I think it is a strong album, and one I may have enjoyed a lot more had I never heard anything else by them before.

But in all honesty it's bland. Great in many respects (I enjoy every song and I actually fail to highlight things I don't like about it), but aside from Life and maybe CTAA (which at this point feels a tad overplayed so soon after it came out), it just comes off as a b-side collection. BO,WP pt.2 is really unnecessary.

But Unia and Days Of Grays remain for me their two most adventurous albums, and I find it hard to believe they didn't lead to a much wider audience.

Edited by Segue Myles

Hey hey hey...

I´m going through Sabbath´s and Rival Sons´ setlist in preparation for tomorrow´s show!!!

Awesome! I'm not much of a Sabbath fan (Masters Of Reality is a 10/10 seventies high point for me), but I feel like I need to get into Rival Sons more.

Years ago I got rid of all my Paradise Lost. I recently bought three albums (In Requiem, Faith Divides..., Tragic Idol), but they are the standard editions.

I love this band. Today I started collecting the albums again, starting with the album that kickstarted my whole interest: Draconian Times.

I bought the Japanese edition, which I will be doing with each subsequent album. This is a band with killer b-sides.

My continued rankings,

Unia-10/10

The days of Grays-5/10........surprisingly did not really enjoy this.

Stones Grow Her Name-10/10

Mick

Wow haha

Not a second out of place on Days for me.

I knew you'd love Stones. As sure as Mr Not knew I'd love Days Of Grays.

• Like 2

My continued rankings,

Unia-10/10

Mick

Wow haha

i don't know what it was about Day but i was bored for the most part. maybe it'll grow on me. it was only my first listen.

And yea Stones was amped up AOR........my album, lol

Mick

My continued rankings,

Unia-10/10

Mick

Wow haha

i don't know what it was about Day but i was bored for the most part. maybe it'll grow on me. it was only my first listen.

Mick

Lol as soon as a band blands out...they are your cup of tea haha!!

I enjoy Stones. But I think it was the start of a major decline (that I still enjoy haha!).

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

My continued rankings,

Unia-10/10

Mick

Wow haha

Mick

I enjoy Stones. But I think it was the start of a major decline (that I still enjoy haha!).

l

lol. but you also know that i won't give up on an album so easy.

I looked at and studied Lacuna Coil till they clicked, lol

Mick

My continued rankings,

Unia-10/10

Mick

Wow haha

Mick

l

lol. but you also know that i won't give up on an album so easy.

I looked at and studied Lacuna Coil till they clicked, lol

Mick

Same with me and...erm...

...everything hahaha!

*cough* Kansas *cough*

• Like 1

Days of Grays ro me sounds like a Nightwish copycat album that i can get done better from Nightwish, lol

Mick

I hear elements of Nightwish but had I never heard Nightwish before I'd love it. And I have loved Nightwish for nearly twelve years and I still found this album to be full of surprises.

In fact, only Deathaura reminds me of Nightwish. Everything else is just tinged with those orchestral flourishes, but the songwriting is definitely more SA.

Breathing, Zeroes, The Truth Is Out There, Everything Fades To Gray, Juliet, Last Amazing Grays...nine of these songs remind me of Nightwish in a negative sense.

And considering they are friends and tour buddies, I think it's OK. I also think The Days Of Grays is better than Imaginaerum, the album that came out two years after this one, of which DoG most closely resembles (in my opinion).

Days of Grays ro me sounds like a Nightwish copycat album that i can get done better from Nightwish, lol

Mick

At moments of certain songs, yes. The female vocals is a dead give-away, and the bridge of "The Last Amazing Grays" sounds like it's straight from a Nightwish song.

It's unquestionably their most symphonic album. They even had a cellist from Apocalyptica playing on a few of the songs.

• Like 1

I forgot how awesome the Mars Volta were.

the first 2 albums are full on kick ass prog.

Mick

Frances is good. It drags on at parts -- I've heard that complaint a lot, but I consider it a part of the experience, the length of the tracks allow you immerse yourself in them. This works especially well for Miranda That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore, which is one of my favorite Mars Volta songs.

The only track which I think could use trimming is Cassandra Gemini's improve section (which lasts from ~14:10 until ~28:45, when the improv takes a minute to transit into the climax. I have these time stamps memorized because I usually like to skip the improv :LOL: ).

Also: I never listen through the Frances the Mute album without listening to the "Frances The Mute"

song first.

The Mars Volta were like Frank Zappa. They changed their music up a lot when they played it live, and made use of a unique improv for each show.

I agree with this approach to live music completely, and I only care about listening to live music if musicians either do this, or sound amazing and in ways better live (see: Coheed). Frances the Mute is an album of theirs which translated amazingly well live.

Check it out:

• Like 1

My Favorite Mars Volta tracks, sorted by track number + year

(bolded for top 5 favorites):

Son Et Lumiere

Eriatarka (1)

Televators

Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt

Miranda That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore (3)

Tetragrammaton (2)

Vermicide

Day of the Baphomets

Goliath

Askepios

Halo of Nembutals

Desperate Graves

Copernicus (5)

Dyslexicon

Empty Vessels Make the Loudest Sound (4)

Noctourniquet

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 1

Eek...

PolariseMe

Mr Not

And sometimes....................

Mick (hehe)

• Like 1

mmmmmm

Mr Not.

Union(Adam)

Segue)even if the bands you recommend aren't always right for me in the moment......i nearly always come round.

Stunningly a lot of the time Narps, lol

Mick

I know I tease Mick but our crazy, often passionate chats about music are why I never tired of this place.

Let's put it this way...I don't come here to talk about Rush anymore haha!!

I like our differences as well. Makes things fun!

• Like 1