Did alex go too far with his rant on RHOF??

nicky6

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I was a bit disappointed by it..... thought it went on a bit too long for my tastes.... to the point of being awkward for Ged and Neil.....

I certainly wouldn't blame him (or anyone in the band) for wanting to make a point.... I just found Geddy's to be much more classy and to my liking....

But that's just me

:)

remember the rants

the RRHOF speech fits right in with his wacky style.... I give it 2 thumbs up.... remember the rants (wake up.... this is jazz.... Paris Hilton)... :LOL:

Here's Alex accepting another award.... (I love this speech)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-yEENYO-os

I can't watch it, but is this the one dozen eggs, one gallon of milk speech?

Edited by Lorraine

remember the rants

the RRHOF speech fits right in with his wacky style.... I give it 2 thumbs up.... remember the rants (wake up.... this is jazz.... Paris Hilton)... :LOL:

It isn't but its funny....

remember the rants

I'll take your word for it. ;)

remember the rants

Always my favorite Alex clip!! Haha awesome! His modesty really shows here too..

Alex has always been the one most hurt by the snub, I'm so glad they at least did SOMETHING to address it! And what a way.. To stand there and throw the entire history of it back in Jann Weiners face all without having to say a word!

Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 2

Alex's sense of humor has always been fairly excessively cringeworthy. I think u have to be stoned to really alpr3ciate it im guessing.

Does this apply to your post too? I'm stoned right now and you're makin a little sense there..

• Like 2

remember the rants

I'll take your word for it. ;)

It's not a speech Lorraine it's the outtakes/interview from his Juno (I think) artist of the decade award.

"It is for the 80's right?" :P

He has often lamented his disdain for the RRHOF in interviews and he hasn't always been the most pleasant person with rock and roll media. I recall him once blasting the RRHOF because they inducted ABBA and I recall an interview with Rolling Stone during the Time Machine Tour, I think, where the interviewer was talking about the post-solo section of Tom Sawyer with all of Neil's big drum fills being one of the most iconic Rush moments where they all really meshed or something like that and his response was something like That's the idea, for all of us to play something at the same time. He said it in a polite tone but his facial expression was one of annoyance. I think the induction speech was his chance to finally unload without going overboard. If I had to guess he probably needed a few drinks to get up without telling someone to f**k off.
  • Like 1

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I was a bit disappointed by it..... thought it went on a bit too long for my tastes.... to the point of being awkward for Ged and Neil.....

I certainly wouldn't blame him (or anyone in the band) for wanting to make a point.... I just found Geddy's to be much more classy and to my liking....

But that's just me

:)

Me too but I'm sure they planned roughly who would thank who during the speeches.

I wonder what Alex's actual speech was like..? But he must've been shittin bricks walking up there with what 3 minutes(?) of blah blahs.. What if it flopped.. He looked nervous at the beginning of it too lol

I thought it was comedy gold...I still do.

Gold Jerry, gold!!... I agree, I loved it (mostly because I think the RRHoF is a farce, even without the years of Rush snubs; Rock 'n' Roll, blues, etc. presented in a neat, shiny, tourist-friendly package, housed in glass origami college freshman art project). But, a guy at work who's a classic rock fan though not a Rush fan thought it was childish and very off-putting. So, in my cultural sample of two, opinions are evenly divided, split right down the middle, a perfect 50-50 split.

When I started watching the speech, I thought it was funny. In the middle I felt a little embarrassed and didn't like it. As it went on I loved it again.

It was great in that it told a story without using words, and yet it ended in what was a sincere thanks to the fans (again, sans words).

When I started watching the speech, I thought it was funny. In the middle I felt a little embarrassed and didn't like it. As it went on I loved it again.

It was great in that it told a story without using words, and yet it ended in what was a sincere thanks to the fans (again, sans words).

Yeah, I didn't get he was telling their history with respect to their induction initially. I just assumed he was going to do the blahs for a short time until it was no longer funny...about the time I started thinking "this is going on too far", it clicked with me that he was actually going somewhere with the blahs and that's when I really appreciated what he was doing.

• Like 2

Ok i can see starting out with it, but i think he went way too far and embarrsed neil and geddy too. He could have started out with it and then gave a little speech. totally not digging that. Iam sure most people didn't get the joke. but the joke went too far.. grow up dude!

Before you tell someone to grow up at least write as an adult. :)

wait, we're being graded?

People who aren't familar with Alex may come away from that thinking he's an idiot, an asshole, or both.

I'm sure he'd be fine with that.

If anyone from Rush really gave a shit about what people outside of our little click thought of them, I think their music may have sounded quite different. I'm sure Alex doesn't give a shit.

And that's pretty much what I said.

Did you miss the "I'm sure he'd be fine with that"?

he's agreeing with you. did you miss...his whole post?

• Like 2

People who aren't familar with Alex may come away from that thinking he's an idiot, an asshole, or both.

I'm sure he'd be fine with that.

If anyone from Rush really gave a shit about what people outside of our little click thought of them, I think their music may have sounded quite different. I'm sure Alex doesn't give a shit.

And that's pretty much what I said.

Did you miss the "I'm sure he'd be fine with that"?

he's agreeing with you. did you miss...his whole post?

I was just making sure. He didn't use :goodone: or :ebert:

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 1

I thought it was comedy gold...I still do.

Gold Jerry, gold!!... I agree, I loved it (mostly because I think the RRHoF is a farce, even without the years of Rush snubs; Rock 'n' Roll, blues, etc. presented in a neat, shiny, tourist-friendly package, housed in glass origami college freshman art project). But, a guy at work who's a classic rock fan though not a Rush fan thought it was childish and very off-putting. So, in my cultural sample of two, opinions are evenly divided, split right down the middle, a perfect 50-50 split.

Good point. People who know nothing about the RRHOF/Rush history probably thought it was pretty rude! I image Oprah Winfrey and Jack Nicholson learned about Rush and grew to hate them all within that night!:P

Who cares. Bad press has worked out good for Rush in The past!

Even if I wasn't a fan of Rush, that was the best response he could have had other than saying "Piss off" and not showing up.

^THIS.

Originally, I was rooting for them to no-show the event. However, I was proud to see them get that extended standing ovation that they so richly deserved. :cool:

Edited by EmotionDetector