Winter 2014-2015

Aikenrooster

We are supposed to get 3-6 inches of snow tomorrow; my only consolation is that it makes it a good day to stay inside and watch March Madness basketball! This stinks for the first day of spring.
  • Like 1

Spring doesn't come early enough to suit me here, in these foothills of the Appalachians, so am planning to take a trip with the kids during their spring break (the week which consumes the last couple of days of March with the first days of April) further south and east to the coast in SC, Georgia, or Florida, where Spring should be further developed and happening along nicely. Perhaps as far south as Florida. I am thinking as one option of a dual purpose trip to show the kids both St. Augustine, Fl, which claims to be the oldest city in the US (disputed with Pensacola, Fl. on the Gulf coast) and Cumberland Island, Georgia, right above the Fl. state line, which I have never been to (as opposed to St. Augustine, which I have been to once before), but which is by all accounts a wonderful coastal island wilderness paridise, for those who are into that sort of thing. We will be packing camping supplies for the latter.

Anyway, maybe we will go to those places, maybe somewhere else. The main thing is that I want to take a vacation break somewhere where I can see and feel Spring already, and then return to my home, content in the knowledge that soon enough that same Spring glory will come to my place.

Myrtle Beach? Spring has for the most part sprung here... :) Edited by Narpsberg
  • Like 1

We are supposed to get 3-6 inches of snow tomorrow; my only consolation is that it makes it a good day to stay inside and watch March Madness basketball! This stinks for the first day of spring.

That's weird. We're only supposed to have rain turning to snow and back to rain.

That's weird. We're only supposed to have rain turning to snow and back to rain.

Yea, Carlisle gets lucky. I think we are getting a cold blast from the north that's going east of the Laurel Mtns so you guys just get mostly rain. I hope it's one of those things that plays out wimpier than the forecast!

• Like 1

Sounds excellent! So many people I know (and work with) are taking time off to watch the tournament. What I'm wondering is, can I trade jobs with them, so I can get away with that?? :huh:

I had no idea there was going to be that much snow, so (relatively) close to where I am. Crazy. We're getting some rain overnight. But then sunny again by about noon tomorrow.

• Like 1

Yea, Carlisle gets lucky. I think we are getting a cold blast from the north that's going east of the Laurel Mtns so you guys just get mostly rain. I hope it's one of those things that plays out wimpier than the forecast!

Here's hoping! :)

Thanks! Don't have to drive anywhere so just will cocoon in for the fifty thousandth time! My daughter wants me to look and see if I have any photos to submit for the R40 photo thing- don't think I do. I collect pins from where I have traveled but just started collecting Rush pins last summer so that part is not impressive (yet, haha!)

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

Thanks! Don't have to drive anywhere so just will cocoon in for the fifty thousandth time! My daughter wants me to look and see if I have any photos to submit for the R40 photo thing- don't think I do. I collect pins from where I have traveled but just started collecting Rush pins last summer so that part is not impressive (yet, haha!)

I've been looking for stuff too but I can only think of one picture I have that might work.

No snow over here. Just the pre-bloom hues of grey and pale brown hanging on.

Today is the vernal equinox...spring begins in about six hours, officially.

Spring doesn't come early enough to suit me here, in these foothills of the Appalachians, so am planning to take a trip with the kids during their spring break (the week which consumes the last couple of days of March with the first days of April) further south and east to the coast in SC, Georgia, or Florida, where Spring should be further developed and happening along nicely. Perhaps as far south as Florida. I am thinking as one option of a dual purpose trip to show the kids both St. Augustine, Fl, which claims to be the oldest city in the US (disputed with Pensacola, Fl. on the Gulf coast) and Cumberland Island, Georgia, right above the Fl. state line, which I have never been to (as opposed to St. Augustine, which I have been to once before), but which is by all accounts a wonderful coastal island wilderness paridise, for those who are into that sort of thing. We will be packing camping supplies for the latter.

Anyway, maybe we will go to those places, maybe somewhere else. The main thing is that I want to take a vacation break somewhere where I can see and feel Spring already, and then return to my home, content in the knowledge that soon enough that same Spring glory will come to my place.

Myrtle Beach? Spring has for the most part sprung here... :)

Temps down in South Georgia, North Florida forecast to be warmer than those for Myrtle Beach by at least 5 degrees on average next week. At this point, I am going for the Warmer.

Edited by Closer to the Heart

Have been keeping tabs on the weather in North America via the BBC Interactive Service for quite a while now - boy do i feel for you lot in minnesota and certain parts of Canada. The temp' in Texas alters rapidly with the seasons as well, whereas it gets brutally cold in the north it gets devilishly hot in Texas. Over here we get sluggish if the mercury pushes 30°.. i just can't imagine 40+ .

Have been keeping tabs on the weather in North America via the BBC Interactive Service for quite a while now - boy do i feel for you lot in minnesota and certain parts of Canada.

The Canadian Maritimes (New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland) have endured one of the most miserable winters in a long time, if ever, and it may not be over yet. My heart goes out to those people, I could not stand living through that.

Myrtle Beach? Spring has for the most part sprung here... :)

Temps down in South Georgia, North Florida forecast to be warmer than those for Myrtle Beach by at least 5 degrees on average next week. At this point, I am going for the Warmer.

Probably the best way to go... :cheers:

Minus 5 degrees right now.

I'm done with temps below freezing - Greg - I'm very sorry, as much as I love you - I'll never visit you in Anchorage.

:LOL:

Its not always this cold. At this point I will take it over snow. This cold does take its toll on me at times as I get older. :codger:

That why old geezers like to move to Florida.

Its tempting,

But I would have to be here in the summer. :D