Clockwork Angels Tour recording :(

bri-tor

Hello one and all,

This is something I´ve wanted to get off my chest for a while, and now finally have the time to do it. I didn´t see another thread on this topic, but if there is one, please forgive the repetition.

I am very disappointed by the CAT audio. The main drawback to this reocrding is Geddy´s voice. In my opinion, these are arguably Geddy´s worst vocal performances on record. The first couple of songs go quite well (obviously chosen to warm up the voice), but starting with Force Ten, the intonation becomes very suspicious and downright terrible in many places. Add to that the fact that his diction on some of the songs renders the text incomprehensible, and I simply cannot listen to most of the songs.

Has anyone else noticed the massive change in sound during Far Cry? It´s as if a curtain is drawn between the band and the mikes, and everything is much more muffled and darker. Anyone know a reason for this?

I would be very interested to hear what others think!

I didn't get the Time Machine or Clockwork Angels DVD's because of this. One day I happened to catch just a little bit of Time Machine on TV, and the vocals were just horrible. I have no desire to watch those concerts and pretend the singing isn't as bad as it is.

The thing is, I saw both tours early on, and the vocals were much better, for obvious reasons. Maybe they should record the DVD's much earlier on in the tours from now on.

• Like 3

I have no problems with Geddy's voice on the recording. The problem I have with Clockwork Angels Tour CD is that damn mix, its just awful! Same problems as with Rush In Rio.

I can forgive them about Rush In Rio since they had problems with the weather and stuff, but with Clockwork Angels Tour.. thats just embarrassing for a band like Rush...

• Like 1

The vocals on the the Time Machine Tour are far worse than on the CA Tour. I recently got a bootleg of the TMT because I just couldn't ever listen to the live recording, but I wanted to hear the better version of Presto and the great live version of the Camera Eye. They need to start recording multiple nights and just choose the best performances...Geddy's vocals just aren't consistent enough to bank on just getting one night.
  • Like 4

I don't really understand the complaints about the rapid editing on the CA DVD. It's no where near as bad as the Rio editing and how come no one complains about the editing in A Show of Hands? Is it because it's older and therefore "better" because it's older?

I've just noticed how ridiculously overdone, distracting, overly kinetic and arbitrary the editing is in A Show of Hands. I haven't watched it in a while. Holy crap. The editor must've been on speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JMVGTmDn3Q

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 2

I disagree. I quite like the CA live album for what it is. Geddy's Voice is not perfect, but that should not be blamed on him at this point. My only complaint is that they stuck on the intro to 2112 at the end of the Tom Sawyer track when it clearly belongs at the start of the 2112 track.
  • Like 4

He Ain't gonna get better. Though IMO so far Time Machine was his lowest point. He was better on CA tour. TM was.........yeesh.

Mick

I used to think that until I went back and watched Time Machine again. Time Machine is pretty damn good compared to Clockwork Angels. It's really a shame because a couple of the dates that I saw them during that tour he sounded really good. The longer they were out playing the worse it got.

The vocals on the the Time Machine Tour are far worse than on the CA Tour. I recently got a bootleg of the TMT because I just couldn't ever listen to the live recording, but I wanted to hear the better version of Presto and the great live version of the Camera Eye. They need to start recording multiple nights and just choose the best performances...Geddy's vocals just aren't consistent enough to bank on just getting one night.

I agree completely with the last statement. They really do vary a lot from night to night.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

He Ain't gonna get better. Though IMO so far Time Machine was his lowest point. He was better on CA tour. TM was.........yeesh.

Mick

I used to think that until I went back and watched Time Machine again. Time Machine is pretty damn good compared to Clockwork Angels. It's really a shame because a couple of the dates that I saw them during that tour he sounded really good. The longer they were out playing the worse it got.

Did you mix up CAT and TMT in your post above? I'm having a hard time believing that anyone thinks Geddy's vocals were better on TMT than on anything else they've ever done.

• Like 1

I don't really understand the complaints about the rapid editing on the CA DVD. It's no where near as bad as the Rio editing and how come no one complains about the editing in A Show of Hands? Is it because it's older and therefore "better" because it's older?

For me, my only complaint of the editing on CA Tour is directed towards the fact that they used inexcusable shaky camera angles in the audience which in my opinion detracts more than it adds to the visual presentation. If I was the editor for CAT, I would've ruled out using those angles entirely. A Show of Hands had its share of f**k ups (i.e. close up on Alex's white guitar then cut to a stage shot and now his guitar is black) and while it is arbitrary, post-Brave New World Iron Maiden DVDs (sans Flight 666) have way worse editing than RiR or ASOH.

I used to think that the audio production was abysmal on Time Machine 2011 (mostly due to Geddy's vocals and Neil's tin-can sounding snare), but listening to it again a few days ago after hearing the abomination of CAT, TM 2011 sounds more polished a la ESL. Not only does the mix on CAT sound like a total mess, it also had the most sloppiest playing ever captured on recording. You can tell there was no overdubs done as I can hear bum notes (curtesy of Alex) throughout the set.

Edited by PolarizeMe

Oh also I agree with the enunciation problem. When i heard CA the album. Half the time i was like "um........WHAT?!!!! " lol. It was the production. too, but he does have marble mouth syndrome now.

Mick

There's a point in Carnies where it sounds like he is lisping or has too much salival in his mouth.

• Like 1

For me, my only complaint of the editing on CA Tour is directed towards the fact that they used inexcusable shaky camera angles in the audience which in my opinion detracts more than it adds to the visual presentation. If I was the editor for CAT, I would've ruled out using those angles entirely. A Show of Hands had its share of f**k ups (i.e. close up on Alex's white guitar then cut to a stage shot and now his guitar is black) and while it is arbitrary, post-Brave New World Iron Maiden DVDs (sans Flight 666) have way worse editing than RiR or ASOH.

I used to think that the audio production was abysmal on Time Machine 2011 (mostly due to Geddy's vocals and Neil's tin-can sounding snare), but listening to it again a few days ago after hearing the abomination of CAT, TM 2011 sounds more polished a la ESL. Not only does the mix on CAT sound like a total mess, it also had the most sloppiest playing ever captured on recording. You can tell there was no overdubs done as I can hear bum notes (curtesy of Alex) throughout the set.

The lack of overdubs I would say is a charm. Unless they made a train wreck I'd want them to sound like they did that night, bum notes and all. :)

Oh also I agree with the enunciation problem. When i heard CA the album. Half the time i was like "um........WHAT?!!!! " lol. It was the production. too, but he does have marble mouth syndrome now.

Mick

There's a point in Carnies where it sounds like he is lisping or has too much salival in his mouth.

is it that last "a wheel of fate a game of chance." Cause that's rough. Yea they used to be able to cover up his aging chords in the studio. Not so much on CA. Man he more like yodels high notes. it's a challenge for poor ged now a days.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

is it that last "a wheel of fate a game of chance." Cause that's rough. Yea they used to be able to cover up his aging chords in the studio. Not so much on CA. Man he more like yodels high notes. it's a challenge for poor ged now a days.

Mick

That's why I don't get why he tries to sing some songs higher than he needs too. The choruses of Time Stand Still and Force Ten for example. He tries to sing them higher than the album and it doesn't work. He pushes it too much. I think he does it with Red Barcetta in some parts too. He used to just almost speak the lines and now he tries to "sing" them too forcibly.

He's never sang the chorus of Time Stand Still the way it is on the album.

• Like 1

Mick

Did you mix up CAT and TMT in your post above? I'm having a hard time believing that anyone thinks Geddy's vocals were better on TMT than on anything else they've ever done.

I think over all even though he was a little hoarse on Time Machine he did a lot better without his voice breaking than he did on CA. His voice breaks all over the place on CA. Even on the low stuff.

Mick

Mick

I've been making myself listen to CA but try to change my mindset a bit. It's not quite as bad if you take it on its own merits and try not to compare it to anything they've ever done in the past.

I like the live recordings, warts and all, but I think that for the sake of their audience's treasured memories maybe they should stop doing tour recordings. Then everyone would remember these shows as the thrilling, joyous and satisfying LIVE performances they were, without all the second-guessing brought on months later by the fact that recordings reveal flaws that no one notices when they're at the show caught up in the excitement.

It would be especially satisfying if those who don't even go to the gigs had no recordings to give them the authority to go around squawking about how Rush should retire because a tour they didn't actually see sounded so terrible.

In my haste and emotion to get this topic out, I completely forgot to add one or two other things, which to me are as damaging to the recording as Geddy´s voice.

In my opinion, having the string ensemble was an absolute travesty. Not only are their parts complete fluff and filler (meaning poorly composed), adding nothing to the songs, but the balance is done so that they are incredibly present in each song, and the moods and atmospheres captured so well on the stuido album are simply gone. And don´t get me started on the older songs which have the string ensemble. To quote Abraham Simpson, FOR SHAME! I hope the band NEVER comes up with such an idea again.

One last gripe about the cds. The fact that they just throw a soundcheck recording of Limelight on, is quite disrespectful. Somehow they managed to record every other song from the tour, but not that one? Come on!! Even RiR had soundboard recordings which were brilliant in my opinion. They should have just put a Karaoke version on, and left Geddy´s mic turned off. Who wants to hear him singing half-assed because his voice isn´t warm? If Neil says the only thing he owes the audience is a good show, then this is a complete contradiction of that point, for the band as a whole.

Nice to read others commenting on the bum notes. I do agree that this, while perhaps being the most `freestyle´ RUSH recording, is also the sloppiest in terms of execution.