2014 MLB Season Thread

RUSHHEAD666

Chris Davis suspended 25 games (including the only ones that will matter, the first 8 of the playoffs).

I think it was Amphetamines.

Adderall. This was a failure (according to what I read) to reapply for a previously granted exemption.

• Like 1

Brewer pitcher Mike Fiers accidentally nails Giancarlo Stanton in the face.......but Stanton was ruled to have swung at the pitch for strike TWO.

Stanton is taken off on a stretcher with face lacerations and dental fractures. :o

His replacement, Reed Johnson, is then hit on the hand, but he is also ruled to have swung at the pitch. Strike THREE. End of the Marlins' rally. No runs scored.

The Marlins go crazy mad. Both benches clear, but no punches are thrown. The Marlins' manager and 3rd baseman Casey McGehee (who was on deck) are ejected.

Brewers win 4-2. A crazy, crazy game....... the Marlins were definitely more angry at the umps than at the Brewers.

http://m.mlb.com/vid...e-benches-clear

Wow,

That was really bad. He did swing but what an aweful thing to see. I thought the pitcher should have left the game on his own after that. The second batter was hit on the hand and should haave been awarded first base.

Or at least a foul ball? But strike three?
  • Like 1

Brewer pitcher Mike Fiers accidentally nails Giancarlo Stanton in the face.......but Stanton was ruled to have swung at the pitch for strike TWO.

Stanton is taken off on a stretcher with face lacerations and dental fractures. :o

His replacement, Reed Johnson, is then hit on the hand, but he is also ruled to have swung at the pitch. Strike THREE. End of the Marlins' rally. No runs scored.

The Marlins go crazy mad. Both benches clear, but no punches are thrown. The Marlins' manager and 3rd baseman Casey McGehee (who was on deck) are ejected.

Brewers win 4-2. A crazy, crazy game....... the Marlins were definitely more angry at the umps than at the Brewers.

Wow,

That was really bad. He did swing but what an aweful thing to see. I thought the pitcher should have left the game on his own after that. The second batter was hit on the hand and should haave been awarded first base.

The rule is that swinging supersedes the HBP and if you don't hit the ball at all it's a swinging strike.

• Like 2

Wow,

The rule is that swinging supersedes the HBP and if you don't hit the ball at all it's a swinging strike.

Seems like a grey area: http://www.qcbaseball.com/baseball_rules/hit_by_pitch1.aspx

• If the ball touches the batter as the batter swings at the ball. This basically means that if the batter is swinging at the ball and the act of swinging has caused the ball to hit the batter, then the ball is a strike. Example: Batter swings and the ball hits him on the forearm as he's swinging. The ball is dead and it is a strike. If the hitter has two strikes, it is strike 3 not a foul ball. This isn't called often as most of the time the player will stop the swing and be hit by the ball. In that case most umpires will determine that the player is attempting to get out of the way by not continuing the swing. So, even though the act of swinging has caused the ball to hit the batter, the umpire may determine that player attempted to get out of the way and award the batter first base.

A's now 7 back of the Angels...only 2 up on the Mariners. Losing to the likes of the hapless Astros.

How's that Cespedes trade looking now? :facepalm:

It would be easy to blame the A's collapse on the YoCes trade, but there are many other factors that have contributed to it.

*Coco's nagging injuries that keep him out of the lineup. Hell, he was in a hitting slump for weeks before the injuries started to hit.

*Moss forgetting how to hit.

*Lowrie on the DL.

*Doolittle on the DL.

*Gentry on the DL.

*Abad's sudden and inexplicable inability to find the strike zone.

*If Lester wasn't in the rotation, Chavez likely still would be, and we would have lost a few more games during his shaky starts.

There are lots of reasons the A's are losing, and I think the tailspin would still be happening if La Potencia was still patrolling left field.

I saw the highlights of yesterday's game. Those ninth inning walks are always killer.

They were winning on chemistry...

For me, the bottom line is that if they're truly worthy of the playoffs, they'll withstand the loss of one player. That's what championship teams do.

Nah. One guy, a guy like Cespedes, can make everyone play better. Oakland was playing better than they should have been because they believed in the team. A cynical move like trading Cespedes shook everything up, and now they're a team they can blow a one-run lead in the bottom of the eighth via back-to-back throwing errors, like they did tonight.

T-cursed.

On top of that, you got Adam "I only strike out and hit homers" Dunn. Anyone with self respect would take Cepedes over Dunn in a heartbeat. Going for veterans instated of youth is the kind of crap that kills teams like the Yanks and even screwed up my Angels.

I'm looking at you, Vernon Wells!

• Like 1

A's now 7 back of the Angels...only 2 up on the Mariners. Losing to the likes of the hapless Astros.

It would be easy to blame the A's collapse on the YoCes trade, but there are many other factors that have contributed to it.

*Coco's nagging injuries that keep him out of the lineup. Hell, he was in a hitting slump for weeks before the injuries started to hit.

*Lowrie on the DL.

*Doolittle on the DL.

*Gentry on the DL.

*If Lester wasn't in the rotation, Chavez likely still would be, and we would have lost a few more games during his shaky starts.

There are lots of reasons the A's are losing, and I think the tailspin would still be happening if La Potencia was still patrolling left field.

I saw the highlights of yesterday's game. Those ninth inning walks are always killer.

For me, the bottom line is that if they're truly worthy of the playoffs, they'll withstand the loss of one player. That's what championship teams do.

Nah. One guy, a guy like Cespedes, can make everyone play better. Oakland was playing better than they should have been because they believed in the team. A cynical move like trading Cespedes shook everything up, and now they're a team they can blow a one-run lead in the bottom of the eighth via back-to-back throwing errors, like they did tonight.

T-cursed.

On top of that, you got Adam "I only strike out and hit homers" Dunn. Anyone with self respect would take Cepedes over Dunn in a heartbeat.

in 51 percent of his 8,280 trips to the plate, the ball never landed on the field. No kidding. Do the math:
  • 2,362 strikeouts
  • 1,313 walks
  • 462 home runs
  • 84 hit by pitch
  • 4,221 journeys to home plate where no fielders were needed

http://espn.go.com/b...f-a-kind-career

And I'm not sure how a 14-year vet who's never been to the playoffs helps you. Dunn...as in done.

Edited by goose

Oh...the A's are now 11 games back, havng gone 3-7 in the last ten.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d8/Tourniquet_%28PSF%29.png/220px-Tourniquet_%28PSF%29.png

Edited by goose

*Lowrie on the DL.

*Doolittle on the DL.

*Gentry on the DL.

T-cursed.

On top of that, you got Adam "I only strike out and hit homers" Dunn. Anyone with self respect would take Cepedes over Dunn in a heartbeat.

in 51 percent of his 8,280 trips to the plate, the ball never landed on the field. No kidding. Do the math:
  • 2,362 strikeouts
  • 1,313 walks
  • 462 home runs
  • 84 hit by pitch

And I'm not sure how a 14-year vet who's never been to the playoffs helps you. Dunn...as in done.

Would it surprise you to know that Adam Dunn has a higher on base percentage than Ichiro?

*Lowrie on the DL.

*Doolittle on the DL.

*Gentry on the DL.

T-cursed.

• 2,362 strikeouts
  • 1,313 walks
  • 462 home runs
  • 84 hit by pitch

Would it surprise you to know that Adam Dunn has a higher on base percentage than Ichiro?

Lots of walks.

*Lowrie on the DL.

*Doolittle on the DL.

*Gentry on the DL.

T-cursed.

• 2,362 strikeouts
  • 1,313 walks
  • 462 home runs
  • 84 hit by pitch

Lots of walks.

No defense against that.

Wow,

I figured as much,

Just wasn't sure with some of the rules these days.

http://wkintergroup.org/Images/manSweepingFloorAnimated.gif

Down go the Redsox

Cant decide whether I should root for Milwaukee or St. Louis tonight? Up 3 on Milwaukee for the wild card and down 2 on St Louis for the division. Boy I would love to avoid that one game playoff

http://wkintergroup.org/Images/manSweepingFloorAnimated.gif

Down go the Redsox

Cant decide whether I should root for Milwaukee or St. Louis tonight? Up 3 on Milwaukee for the wild card and down 2 on St Louis for the division. Boy I would love to avoid that one game playoff

Always root against those b@st@rds from St. Louis...

• Like 1

The Collapse

Even the line score looks jarring.

The Oakland Athletics, in the midst of a collapse not seen in their division for a full two decades, are finding deeper depths to plumb, and even more macabre ways to self-immolate.

Wednesday night, they nursed a 1-0 lead deep into the night, and an entire division cast its eyes on Oakland.

Four hundred miles to the south, ice-filled tubs of beer and champagne awaited in the Los Angeles Angels' clubhouse, and more than 5,000 fans stuck around Angel Stadium, hoping somehow the A's would blow the game to the Texas Rangers, and they'd have a division title to celebrate.

In the visitors' clubhouse in Anaheim, the Seattle Mariners – stewing in a 5-0 loss that put the Angels on the doorstep to a division title – hoped for a Rangers comeback that would jolt some life into their own, fading wild card hopes.

And across the diamond from the A's were the Texas Rangers, surprisingly baseball's worst team, and putting out a glorified Triple-A lineup due to injuries. They had virtually nothing at stake, but hey, adding to a division rival's misery certainly enlivens an otherwise miserable September, right?

And the A's complied.

First came the harbinger – a bases-loaded, no-out situation in the bottom of the eighth inning. A shallow fly ball, a pop fly and a lineout, and all three runners were stranded – the sort of missed opportunity that portends a disaster.

All-Star closer Sean Doolittle was summoned to protect the 1-0 lead, and retired the inning's first batter, but no more.

It came quickly – single-double-intentional walk-three run homer.

yoenis-cespedes-tshirt.png

Oakland's Billy Goat?

since the A's dealt Cuban slugger Yoenis Cespedes to the Boston Red Sox for Lester at the deadline, they have gone a paltry 17-28

It's the ex Cub factor. Never should have traded for Samardzija and Hammel.

:)

• Like 1

since the A's dealt Cuban slugger Yoenis Cespedes to the Boston Red Sox for Lester at the deadline, they have gone a paltry 17-28

It's the ex Cub factor. Never should have traded for Samardzija and Hammel.

:)

No kidding! Your most exciting player for two Cubs and a vet who's never made the playoffs. How did that chemistry not work out?