• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#41 KenJennings

KenJennings

Mr. Establishment

• Members *
  • 21367 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

I don't consider Five Guys, Chipotle, Lee Ann Chin, etc. fast food.

It's like quazi-fast food. I usually eat in with places like that. Fast food I think of McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, Taco Bell, etc. Drive Thrus.

Edited by KenJennings, 12 February 2014 - 06:25 PM.

Sponsored Post

#42 pjbear05

pjbear05

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2733 posts
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:54 PM

View PostKenJennings, on 12 February 2014 - 01:02 PM, said:

We have a local place with only a couple locations, that's similar to Five Guys in price and style, called BYOBurger (Build Your Own Burger). You walk in, and grab a clip board with a form on it that allows for thousands of burger/topping/bun combinations. Then you just hand it to the cashier and pay.

I really, really dig the place. Their burgers are great, and their onion rings are sensational!

Here's their order form:
Posted Image
My thoughts exactly Ken, and love that order list  For a comparable amount of jack you can go to a local yokel or regional place and get 10 times better food.  The sub situation down here ensures I will likely never set foot in another Subway-their own crappy food notwithstanding.

Lots of so called "Gourmet burger" places popping up down here.  BurgerFi was ok SmashBurger was so-so, and Don Shula's was crap.  Have a couple more to check out this weekend.

#43 thesweetscience

thesweetscience

Member titles are overrated!

• Members *
  • 18001 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:35 PM

View PostKenJennings, on 12 February 2014 - 11:41 AM, said:

View PostMr. IsNot, on 12 February 2014 - 04:00 AM, said:

FIVE GUYS is the absolute best fast food restaurant in terms of food quality. Go there if you haven't. Maybe the best burger I've tasted period.

I've found Five Guys to be very inconsistent. Their burgers are ok, but their fries leave a lot to be desired. I'd eat there again, but I wouldn't really go out of my way to do so- especially for the price.
You're kidding right?  

I forgot about 5 guys.  That's fast food that puts other fast food to shame.

I rescind my comment about fast food.  I do eat at five guys and their food is a wonderfully unhealthy delight.

#44 John V

John V

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • Interests:Music. Culinary Arts. Marijuana Advocate. Miami Dolphins Football. Beer.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

View PostKenJennings, on 12 February 2014 - 02:01 PM, said:

I buy a crate of Nathan's 1/4 lb Polish Dogs from the sams club snack bar every year. It's about a hundred bucks, but it's 30lbs of real top-notch, high quality hot dogs. Lasts me almost a whole year, including my annual Christmas chili dog party. I highly recommend the investment if you have the freezer space.

Why buy a 30lb crate when you can get a smaller package at most stores?  I know Costco sells like a 4 lb package and its not expensive at all.  Just way to many hot dogs for two people.

If I had to choose, I would choose Subway.  They are okay, not great, but you do get to see what they are doing with your food before you get it.

Usually we cook and eat our own food. We go to Costco once every few months and the grocery store for small stuff we can't get at Costco.
Its getting hard to eat out at all.  What we can make here is way better and less money.
We always have buyers remorse every time we go out to eat.

#45 pjbear05

pjbear05

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2733 posts
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:04 PM

View Postpjbear05, on 12 February 2014 - 09:54 PM, said:

We have a local place with only a couple locations, that's similar to Five Guys in price and style, called BYOBurger (Build Your Own Burger). You walk in, and grab a clip board with a form on it that allows for thousands of burger/topping/bun combinations. Then you just hand it to the cashier and pay.

I really, really dig the place. Their burgers are great, and their onion rings are sensational!

Here's their order form:
Posted Image
My thoughts exactly Ken, and love that order list  For a comparable amount of jack you can go to a local yokel or regional place and get 10 times better food.  The sub situation down here ensures I will likely never set foot in another Subway-their own crappy food notwithstanding.

Lots of so called "Gourmet burger" places popping up down here.  BurgerFi was ok SmashBurger was so-so, and Don Shula's was crap.  Have a couple more to check out this weekend.

Hit a couple more "gourmet burger" places of late:
Burger 21, fairly good burger,  hot dogs and hand made shakes looked ok, lots of add yourself condiments including a chipotle ketchup that was nice.  But those skinyy a--  toothpick french fries have to GO!

A local place called Knuckleheads, mix blend of meat in the burger, jucy and good.  I had the "rise and shine", 6 0z burger patty, bacon, and a fried egg.  Counter guy's eyes lit up when I said "medium rare", and it was done right.   Great onion rijngs too.  10 minutes from stand up counter order to sit down service, and during a packed Saturday afternoon.  Another guy was chompimg down on this fat foot long dog with all the trimmings, and when I asked he said it was one of best restaurant dogs he's had.  Defintiely returning.  It's not like a fat 1/2 burger you would get in a bar, but it was darn good.

#46 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21930 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:20 PM

View Posthobo73, on 11 February 2014 - 10:08 PM, said:

Oohhhh I love Wendy's chili :D

I used to like Wendy's chili until I heard one of the employees say they used several day old hamburgers that were left over in the chili. Haven't had it since.

#47 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27935 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:50 AM

View PostEagleMoon, on 10 March 2014 - 11:20 PM, said:

I used to like Wendy's chili until I heard one of the employees say they used several day old hamburgers that were left over in the chili. Haven't had it since.
:eh: Now ya tell me.....

#48 Digital Man

Digital Man

He's got a force field and a flexible plan...

• 8407 posts
  • Interests:My Beautiful Fiancee Sundog, all our kids, RUSH, cigars, beer, Tequila, RUSH, bbqing, snow skiing

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:39 AM

View Postpjbear05, on 10 March 2014 - 09:04 PM, said:

View Postpjbear05, on 12 February 2014 - 09:54 PM, said:

Here's their order form:
Posted Image

Hit a couple more "gourmet burger" places of late:
Burger 21, fairly good burger,  hot dogs and hand made shakes looked ok, lots of add yourself condiments including a chipotle ketchup that was nice.  But those skinyy a--  toothpick french fries have to GO!

A local place called Knuckleheads, mix blend of meat in the burger, jucy and good.  I had the "rise and shine", 6 0z burger patty, bacon, and a fried egg.  Counter guy's eyes lit up when I said "medium rare", and it was done right.   Great onion rijngs too.  10 minutes from stand up counter order to sit down service, and during a packed Saturday afternoon.  Another guy was chompimg down on this fat foot long dog with all the trimmings, and when I asked he said it was one of best restaurant dogs he's had.  Defintiely returning.  It's not like a fat 1/2 burger you would get in a bar, but it was darn good.

Fudrucker's

Big and fresh burgers.  They have the steaks on view as yo walk in.  They grind the meat daily and when you fget your birger it's a patty on a bun (and cheese if you went cheeseburger.  Then there is basically large "salad bar" with all the condiments you could want. They also have  "nacho cheese dispensers, regular and with jalapenos.  Their seasoned fries are awesome.  Mostly west coast I think, but I have found one in michigan.

#49 gangsterfurious

gangsterfurious

Dita Von Sneeze

• Members *
  • 5880 posts
  • Interests:Glitter, yoga, Hello Kitty, epsom salt baths, Tic-Tacs, sparkling mineral water, finding the cure for eczema, pajama pants, cupcakes, colored paper-clips, post-it notes, liquid Advil, etc...

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

Yeah I'd say all of them are "gross". As far as ones that have food I'll actually eat on a road trip. I'll stop at McDonald's for a snack wrap and a coke, or Burger King for a veggie burger and some onion rings. But here in California we are lucky and have places like In-N-Out and The Habit.

#50 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21930 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:32 PM

View PostNarpski, on 11 March 2014 - 07:50 AM, said:

Well now you know. Gross, huh?

#51 Narps

Narps

• Members
  • 27935 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:40 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 11 March 2014 - 12:32 PM, said:

How many days in a "several"?..... :D

#52 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21930 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

View PostNarpski, on 11 March 2014 - 12:40 PM, said:

I don't know about you, but anything more than one would be gross to me. And just the fact that they use old hamburgers is a big turnoff.

#53 Cygnus 2112

Cygnus 2112

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4733 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:39 PM

A&W has good burgers but the worst fries.  I love Wendy's chicken burgers and Burger King is all around bad.

#54 Cygnus 2112

Cygnus 2112

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4733 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:44 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 11 March 2014 - 03:12 PM, said:

I don't know about you, but anything more than one would be gross to me. And just the fact that they use old hamburgers is a big turnoff.
I have a friend that used to work at Wendy's and when they closed at 2:00 am they'd chop up the left over cooked burgers and in the chili pot they go.

#55 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 11087 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:40 AM

View Postbillybobjoe1881, on 11 March 2014 - 11:44 PM, said:

I have a friend that used to work at Wendy's and when they closed at 2:00 am they'd chop up the left over cooked burgers and in the chili pot they go.
true

#56 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 11087 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:42 AM

at this point the whole wendy-using-old-meat-for-chili thing has shown up on every "nasty fast food secret" discussion in internet history, I thought everyone knew! whether that's okay or not its gross. and every damn fast food place does this from what I know. have a friend who works at checkers (or rally's for half of you, I guess) and they do the same shit with their chili

#57 Digital Man

Digital Man

He's got a force field and a flexible plan...

• 8407 posts
  • Interests:My Beautiful Fiancee Sundog, all our kids, RUSH, cigars, beer, Tequila, RUSH, bbqing, snow skiing

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:08 PM

View Postbathory, on 12 March 2014 - 08:42 AM, said:

at this point the whole wendy-using-old-meat-for-chili thing has shown up on every "nasty fast food secret" discussion in internet history, I thought everyone knew! whether that's okay or not its gross. and every damn fast food place does this from what I know. have a friend who works at checkers (or rally's for half of you, I guess) and they do the same shit with their chili

I don't understand why this is gross.

The patties are from that day.  Nobody here eats leftovers at home?  It's not like they leave them on a shelf for three days.  If they make their chili the night before for the next day, that may be why it tastes so good.  Chili always tastes better after it has sat for a while.

#58 GeddysMullet

GeddysMullet

Non-Binary

• Members
  • 5330 posts
  • Interests:music, books, documentary films, parrots, long hair, big noses

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:38 PM

This is what they did when I worked at Wendy's in 1982.  Leftover burgers at the end of the day, and burgers that had been overcooked or had broken on the grill collected during the course of the day.  I don't see anything at all wrong with it.  I think it would be worse if they just threw away all that leftover meat.

#59 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 11087 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:08 PM

it's just one of those things that sounds way nastier than it is. the fact that every fast food place around does it shows that it's fine for human consumption. for me anyway. I don't eat fast food chili anyway though, so I don't give a shit

#60 Narps

Narps

• Members
  • 27935 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:14 PM

View PostGeddysMullet, on 12 March 2014 - 12:38 PM, said:

This is what they did when I worked at Wendy's in 1982.  Leftover burgers at the end of the day, and burgers that had been overcooked or had broken on the grill collected during the course of the day.  I don't see anything at all wrong with it.  I think it would be worse if they just threw away all that leftover meat.
My stomach and colon suddenly feel much better. Thanks for that GM..... Whew :sigh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users