Must You Give A Foul Ball To A Child?

Principled Man

If you catch a foul ball, are you "morally bound" to give it to the nearest kid?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. If you catch a foul ball, are you "morally bound" to give it to the nearest kid?

• Of course! It would make the kid's year!
    • Well....if the kid shows some politeness and manners....maybe....
    • Only if the kid's mother/father is a major hottie.
    • Only if it will impress my date.
    • Only if the kid is mine....and if he/she begs for it.
    • Hell no! What's mine is MINE!

This kid at a Giants game pouted to the max because he didn't get a foul ball - the guy right in front of him caught it.

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/editorial_image/ba/bad69729ff1134a11e6ae3a995e854d0/u_mad_bro_young_giants_fan_pouts_big_time_over_foul_ball.jpg

Some argue that an adult SHOULD give a foul ball to the nearest child, even if the child is a total stranger. Do you agree or disagree?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_leagu...urn=mlb-wp13298

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pouting and whining like that is one way to guarantee that a child sitting near me (should I ever be so lucky as to catch a foul ball)will definitely not get his hands on it. In fact, I might be moved to taunt him with it. (Kidding, before everyone thinks I'm horrible).

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 20 2011, 02:59 PM)
In fact, I might be moved to taunt him with it.  (Kidding, before everyone thinks I'm horrible).

My gawd, I can see that scene play out....

"HAHAHAHA....ya little brat! See this ball? You can't have it! MU-HAHAHAHAHA!!!!"

[laughs like Renfield in Dracula]

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

for this very reason, I always carry a slightly used-looking ROMLB (Rawlings Official Major League Baseball) w/me

they cost under $5 at used sporting goods stores

you still make the kid's day, and you get to keep the game souvenir

WIN/WIN!

or take it away form a little girl then high five your friends

or be a douchebag and not let a kid have it

hey, works in football too

soccer...

You get the point. Dont be a douche, let the kids have the ball. Morons.

No. It's all about me. laugh.gif

Anyway, what about your son/daughter, your sister or brother's kid, neighbor kid, etc if they aren't there?

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 20 2011, 04:47 PM)
Um, you give the kid the ball. Its juts a f-cking baseball.

I'll clarify - I'd be down with giving the kid the ball UNLESS he threw a whine fit about it like the child currently getting attention for his antics last night. I voted thusly. (Really, I'd have probably scouted the area for a better-behaved child to give that ball to).

You're right - the ball will be kind of a cool conversation piece for maybe a day, and then it gets tossed in a closet and forgotten. Send it home with a kid who might actually play with it some. But me, I'd just prefer to give it to someone who is NOT on the verge of a tantrum.

We were in prime foul territory at the last game I went to. About midway through I remarked to my husband that IF we caught a foul we should give it to the kid (guessing he was six or seven) behind us. He was one of those kids who was just extremely pleasant to be around.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 20 2011, 05:03 PM)
QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Jul 20 2011, 04:54 PM)
Its a f*cking ball.  Any adult who wouldn't give it over to a kid is a complete ass.

This.

I agree too, but that kid is pouting like he's entitled to the ball. If I caught a ball and turned around to look for a kid to give it to, I might not pick him.

Hey, I just rewatched the MLB's video. Can someone Zapruder that for me - did the kid's dad swear at him about midway through? It looked like the words "f***ing bullshit" at one point. . .

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Jul 20 2011, 05:11 PM)
Not if it's Jeter's 3000th or equivalent, I have my own kid.

I almost posted my reply without quoting this. I scrolled up and saw it just in time.

EXACTLY!

Sorry guys. But I have four kids at home. If I'm at a game without my kids and I catch a ball, THEY are getting it when I get home. Not the little shit sitting behind me who looks like he's about to cry. Sorry pal, your loser dad should have caught the ball instead of me.

Just think, though - this is the kind of thing Pouty's brother will be able to hold over his head for a long time. Like when Pouty has a girl he's interested in and Brother wants the last three Oreos?

"Let me have them, or I'm gonna e-mail Suzie the video of you about to cry at the Giants game. . ."

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 20 2011, 03:51 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6locBvdMJtw

or take it away form a little girl then high five your friends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW7jg_Fm__I&NR=1

or be a douchebag and not let a kid have it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iETWX5H1Y1M&feature=related

hey, works in football too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iETWX5H1Y1M&feature=related

soccer...

You get the point.  Dont be a douche, let the kids have the ball.  Morons.

Those videos you posted showed some major assholes, but I'm talking about getting a foul ball uncontested. It's all yours, it's rightfully yours. No fighting or arguing over who should have it.

I don't understand why any kid should expect some stranger to give him/her a foul ball. Yes, it's just a $5.00 ball, but that goes both ways - for the adult and for the kid.

Diehard fans go to baseball games, and if they catch a foul ball for the first time ever, they should keep it! More power to them! One could argue that the foul ball means more to the lifelong fan, who's supported the team for 40 years, than it means to some 5-year old kid who barely knows what's going on.

If I ever catch a foul ball off the bat of Prince Fielder or Ryan Braun, or any of the Brewers, I'm KEEPING IT. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I've been to hundreds of baseball games. I never caught a foul ball. I came close only once. If I do catch a foul ball, I'm giving it to my son. If I catch a second foul ball, it's mine. All uncontested, of course.

QUOTE (Pags @ Jul 20 2011, 05:23 PM)

I almost posted my reply without quoting this. I scrolled up and saw it just in time.

EXACTLY!

Sorry guys. But I have four kids at home. If I'm at a game without my kids and I catch a ball, THEY are getting it when I get home. Not the little shit sitting behind me who looks like he's about to cry. Sorry pal, your loser dad should have caught the ball instead of me.

A foul ball will never be worth that kind of money

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Jul 20 2011, 05:32 PM)

EXACTLY!

Yep. Home Runs are a different story!

EXACTLY!

We're latching onto different parts of Queen's post. You're focused on Jeter's 3000th, and I'm focused on that I have a kid too. I'm not worried about the kind of hit it is. If I catch a ball at a park, I'm taking it home for my own children, not handing it off to someone else.

However, I'm also not going to wrestle it out of child's hands or push one out of the way so I can catch it instead of them. I'd rather see someone's kid catch a ball before me. But if I catch it, it's going into my pocket and coming home. I don't care what people around me say, or what comments the announcers might make, or what video pops up on YouTube with 500 nasty posts about what a dickhead I am. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Jul 20 2011, 06:02 PM)

EXACTLY!

We're latching onto different parts of Queen's post. You're focused on Jeter's 3000th, and I'm focused on that I have a kid too. I'm not worried about the kind of hit it is. If I catch a ball at a park, I'm taking it home for my own children, not handing it off to someone else.

However, I'm also not going to wrestle it out of child's hands or push one out of the way so I can catch it instead of them. I'd rather see someone's kid catch a ball before me. But if I catch it, it's going into my pocket and coming home. I don't care what people around me say, or what comments the announcers might make, or what video pops up on YouTube with 500 nasty posts about what a dickhead I am. laugh.gif

Just bring your kids to the game and then you won't have to deal with that confused13.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Jul 20 2011, 06:27 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Jul 20 2011, 06:02 PM)

EXACTLY!

Just bring your kids to the game and then you won't have to deal with that confused13.gif laugh.gif

I don't bring my kids anywhere.