Must You Give A Foul Ball To A Child?

Principled Man

If you catch a foul ball, are you "morally bound" to give it to the nearest kid?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. If you catch a foul ball, are you "morally bound" to give it to the nearest kid?

• Of course! It would make the kid's year!
    • Well....if the kid shows some politeness and manners....maybe....
    • Only if the kid's mother/father is a major hottie.
    • Only if it will impress my date.
    • Only if the kid is mine....and if he/she begs for it.
    • Hell no! What's mine is MINE!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tick, I'm with you on this.

No offense Phil, but I've seen RUSH 25 times, I've only ever been close enough to the stage to even THINK about getting a stick or pick ONCE. So yes, I would treasure anything that came from one of the members of RUSH. It would be a rare treasure indeed. Only valuable because of my nearly lifelong adoration for these particular musicians.

Same EXACT thing goes for The NY Yankees. I'm a fan of theirs even LONGER than I am a fan of RUSH. I've only been to a game probably half as many times as I've seen RUSH. If I was lucky enough to catch a foul ball by a New York Yankee, I would treasure anything that got hit my way. Only valuable because of my nearly lifelong adoration for these particular athletes.

Why, because I am an adult, am I not allowed the same excitement as a child? The thought of such a once in a lifetime catch thrills me just thinking about it...how. freaking. cool. that would be! I reject the notion that I should not be elated by my prize, simply because I'm a grown up.

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Jul 21 2011, 10:03 AM)
Yes because that ball should mean absolutely nothing to a grown adult....

I cannot disagree more. ohmy.gif

Q: Why do millions of people (mostly males - boys and men) go to Major League Baseball games?

A: Because they LOVE the sport. The adults played it when they were kids. They may even still play it. They respect and appreciate the high-level skill of the professional players. They LOVE seeing the sport played at the highest level. They LOVE seeing the pros do what they have only dreamed of doing.....smashing a home run in the 9th inning, striking out the other team's slugger, and so on.....

In other words, all those men attending all those ball games are still little boys on the playground....in their minds and memories. They would do anything to be on that field, hitting a home run and reaping all the glory and applause. That's the #1 reason we play baseball when we're little - to pretend we're like the pros.

That foul ball means more to a 40-year old diehard fan than it could ever mean to some little kid who barely knows the game and its history.....

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Jul 21 2011, 04:35 PM)
Tick, I'm with you on this.

No offense Phil, but I've seen RUSH 25 times, I've only ever been close enough to the stage to even THINK about getting a stick or pick ONCE. So yes, I would treasure anything that came from one of the members of RUSH. It would be a rare treasure indeed. Only valuable because of my nearly lifelong adoration for these particular musicians.

Same EXACT thing goes for The NY Yankees. I'm a fan of theirs even LONGER than I am a fan of RUSH. I've only been to a game probably half as many times as I've seen RUSH. If I was lucky enough to catch a foul ball by a New York Yankee, I would treasure anything that got hit my way. Only valuable because of my nearly lifelong adoration for these particular athletes.

Why, because I am an adult, am I not allowed the same excitement as a child? The thought of such a once in a lifetime catch thrills me just thinking about it...how. freaking. cool. that would be! I reject the notion that I should not be elated by my prize, simply because I'm a grown up.

See, in cases like these I'd wager that the ball would mean MORE to you than it would to some five-year-old child who has just learned that his hometown actually has a professional ball club.

"Childlike excitement" is not the exclusive domain of children.

(And I don't care that your six-year-old has been listening to Rush since he was in the womb, knows all the lyrics and Rush trivia there is to know, and can air-drum "Red Barchetta" perfectly. If I get sticks at a show, they are MINE).

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 21 2011, 04:48 PM)
QUOTE (Khan @ Jul 21 2011, 03:21 PM)
alrighty then...

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/3867/khanvsjudahposter.jpg

1287.gif

[Drago voice]You will lose.[/Drago voice]

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jul 21 2011, 05:53 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 21 2011, 04:37 PM)
Let the kids work it out!

Damnit, you scooped me!! angry.gif angry.gif laugh.gif

cool story. that kid was disappointed but did not act like a baby. you can see an usher point out the smaller kid and say something to the boy (Ian) that gives up the foul but he does not give her any lip and goes down to return it so a nice little story.

Workaholic Man and Mara ...great minds think alike. smile.gif You both got the gist of what I was saying. I would treasure much more than some little kid, who may indeed forget the game entirely as he gets older.

(for anyone who is interested, I took this discussion to FB...most are of the "you dont have to but I would" mind, so far.)

Best comment I found:

What a rude and spiteful child. He waited until the young man who caught the ball looked at him and he gave him the nasty look, right to his face! He crossed his arms *twice* to make sure the young man saw his anger and ugliness (as my momma used to call it). The child should not have had his poor behavior rewarded; it's a recurring trend I'm seeing with parents these days, and it's concerning, if not down-right annoying. In fact, I would have only given a ball to the child next to him, because he showed good sportsmanship and set an example. And to everyone saying that this brat is "too young to understand": the child next to him is roughly the same age and seems to understand just fine. There's no reason to find this unpleasant child "cute", nor is there an excuse to reward his behavior. He should be grateful daddy paid a small fortune in this economy to get them seats at the game.

You can't always get what you want... But if you try sometimes.. You just might find... You get what you need!

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 22 2011, 01:56 AM)
Best comment I found:

What a rude and spiteful child. He waited until the young man who caught the ball looked at him and he gave him the nasty look, right to his face! He crossed his arms *twice* to make sure the young man saw his anger and ugliness (as my momma used to call it). The child should not have had his poor behavior rewarded; it's a recurring trend I'm seeing with parents these days, and it's concerning, if not down-right annoying. In fact, I would have only given a ball to the child next to him, because he showed good sportsmanship and set an example. And to everyone saying that this brat is "too young to understand": the child next to him is roughly the same age and seems to understand just fine. There's no reason to find this unpleasant child "cute", nor is there an excuse to reward his behavior. He should be grateful daddy paid a small fortune in this economy to get them seats at the game.

You can't always get what you want... But if you try sometimes.. You just might find... You get what you need!

laugh.gif

My wife and I sing that song to our kids every time they put on that "I never get anything" routine.

QUOTE (Pags @ Jul 22 2011, 07:44 AM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 22 2011, 01:56 AM)
Best comment I found:

laugh.gif

My wife and I sing that song to our kids every time they put on that "I never get anything" routine.

This is why we can;t have nice things! is my fave.