This could be the greatest tour ever

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Apr 9 2010, 09:37 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 9 2010, 05:53 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 9 2010, 08:50 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 9 2010, 07:44 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 9 2010, 08:39 AM)
At their age there is no way this will be their greatest tour ever, especially with the quality of geddy's voice which is pretty damn awful. Ive been to every tour since Permanent Waves and none of the tours over the last 10-15 years compare to those early 80s shows. Not even really close at all.

So if Geddy's voice is "pretty damn awful", are you going to bother to go?

What are you nuts? Of course! I dont think the guy sounds great live but who the hell cares about that when you're there having a good time?

Im just saying quality wise, how can these guys be as good at nearly 60 as they were in their mid 20s? Geddy only plays the bass with 1 finger now, he used to play with 3 but he has tendon problems in his plucking hand.

Rarely is anyone as good at 60 as they were at 20, true. Sad fact of aging. Hell, I'm 42 and I can relate.

For this reason, sad as it is, I kind of hope this is the last hurrah for them (after 2011 tour), by their choice. I don't want to see them become a sad parody of themselves like some acts who don't know when to quit (ahemDavidLeeRothahem).

I do agree with you Mara. I think 2010/2011 is all we will get. Just watch how many venues they are hitting that they haven't in a while. I do want them to go out on top and I believe they are trying to do just that. IMHO

IMHO- don't jump my shit people! ph34r.gif

That's exactly what I was trying to say - I want them to go out on their terms, at the top of their game. Not because someone "can't" physically handle the rigors of performing live.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Apr 9 2010, 01:44 AM)
Certainly not. I saw the Moving Pictures tour back in 1981. They did everything but Witch Hunt which I later saw them do. I don't get this. I really don't.

Don't forget that not everyone is an old fart like us. Some members have never even seen Rush and the prospect of MP in its entirety is an amazing thought. But being someone who has seen Rush over 30 times, I can relate to your sentiment.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 9 2010, 07:51 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 9 2010, 07:39 AM)
At their age there is no way this will be their greatest tour ever, especially with the quality of geddy's voice which is pretty damn awful. Ive been to every tour since Permanent Waves and none of the tours over the last 10-15 years compare to those early 80s shows. Not even really close at all.

I don't buy it...the guys have been playing at the top of their game IMO. Sure, it's one thing to say that their recent studio records don't "meet the calibre" of their earlier albums, but LIVE, I think these guys are still performing at the top of their game. Ged's voice sounds great to me.

Also, it's funny you say that. My two uncles have been going to every Rush tour since 1982, and they have mentioned countless times how the guys have never been better live than they are these days! Go figure.

You seriously think they sound as good as they did in the early 80s? I cant relate to you at all.

QUOTE (msrushfreak @ Apr 9 2010, 09:17 AM)
This will be a perfect opportunity to play all of the parts to "Fear"
Maybe there will even be a new one!

That would require them to play Freeze from vapor trails, which im not sure they would do since it has some very odd timing in the verses. I remember neil saying it took him 3 weeks to learn how to play that, which I dont get but I guess its harder at his age.

When you listen to the intro to far cry, there is a very off beat note in there, and when they play that song live they actually simplified it to avoid screwing it up. I can provide examples if you need, but its been discussed here heavily. That was just one off beat note they didnt want to do live. And those verses in freeze are a bit more complex. Cant see them doing it live.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (msrushfreak @ Apr 9 2010, 09:17 AM)
This will be a perfect opportunity to play all of the parts to "Fear"
Maybe there will even be a new one!

I don't see this happening at all

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 9 2010, 10:08 AM)
Certainly not. I saw the Moving Pictures tour back in 1981. They did everything but Witch Hunt which I later saw them do. I don't get this. I really don't.

Don't forget that not everyone is an old fart like us. Some members have never even seen Rush and the prospect of MP in its entirety is an amazing thought. But being someone who has seen Rush over 30 times, I can relate to your sentiment.

Right. My husband's first Rush show was S&A 2008. He still says it's hands-down the best live show he's ever seen, period. And he's quite the classic metalhead as well as being 53 years old, so he's seen quite a few acts well-known for the quality of their live performances.

QUOTE (peoplecanteatmachinefood @ Apr 9 2010, 10:45 AM)
I don't understand why they're playing MP instead of PW on the tour. It is the 30th anniversary of PW after all. If anything, I think it would make more sense for them to play PW on this leg and MP on the 2011 leg.

Just my $.02

Because Moving Pictures is considered the classic penultimate Rush album. And it's also Rush's biggest commercial success. As far as marketing goes, it will get more casual fans to commit to attending a concert.

Everyone is focusing on the ENTIRE MP...that's 7 songs. Let's go on the theory this is truly Time Machine worthy...can you IMAGINE what they are gonna pull from the archives? In this vein, it could very well be the GREATEST tour ever.

It's what I wished for...a tour of fan faves...I'm SO excited at the possiblity!

It's not the last hurrah...they're putting out another album no? I doubt they'd leave Europe out of their swan song. We get one more tour after this, and that's it.

I am more psyched to hear the new songs than anything they will play off of MP. Then I hope for some real vintage material prior to MP.

For a newbie or kid seeing them the first time it will be a great show.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 9 2010, 09:50 AM)
As far as marketing goes, it will get more casual fans to commit to attending a concert.

I agree with this and think the tour will be very successful. It puzzles me that they seem to be playing smaller venues than in the past in some areas?

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 9 2010, 02:38 PM)

Right. My husband's first Rush show was S&A 2008. He still says it's hands-down the best live show he's ever seen, period. And he's quite the classic metalhead as well as being 53 years old, so he's seen quite a few acts well-known for the quality of their live performances.

If his first Rush show was 2008 how can he possibly comment on those in the 70's - 80's - 90's etc. I don't care how old he is, if he wasn't there, he can't really offer an opinion.

wtf.gif

But thanks ..

The reason you play S &A and R30 more is becasu eof the production quality.

A great friend of mine for over 30 years called me yesterday and asked me if this was true and what shows i was going to get tix for. He has not seen Rush since the Exit Stage Left tour in dec of 1981 . After all these years he now wants to go agian laugh.gif . I bet tickets for this go Fast because everyone and their mother wants a ticket . Smart move by the band because seats were a plenty for most of the S&A tour

QUOTE (StuartBruce @ Apr 9 2010, 10:59 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 9 2010, 02:38 PM)

If his first Rush show was 2008 how can he possibly comment on those in the 70's - 80's - 90's etc. I don't care how old he is, if he wasn't there, he can't really offer an opinion.

wtf.gif

But thanks ..

The reason you play S &A and R30 more is becasu eof the production quality.

I'm talking in more general terms (or more specific to the individual, if you prefer). "Greatest tour ever" has a lot of interpretations and is a relative definition, anyway. It's a matter of perspective.

To younger fans and/or people with little live Rush experience, this could well hold true.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 9 2010, 03:02 PM)
A great friend of mine for over 30 years called me yesterday and asked me if this was true and what shows i was going to get tix for. He has not seen Rush since the Exit Stage Left tour in dec of 1981 . After all these years he now wants to go agian laugh.gif . I bet tickets for this go Fast because everyone and their mother wants a ticket . Smart move by the band because seats were a plenty for most of the S&A tour

Not in the UK Metaldad - two nights at Birmingham (the real Birmingham) sold out back to back approx 26,000 in total (13,000) per night.

Surprised they didn't throw a mini-visit to the UK

[Crosses fingers that they may do in late-October]

QUOTE (StuartBruce @ Apr 9 2010, 10:04 AM)
A great friend of mine for over 30 years called me yesterday and asked me if this was true and what shows i was going to get tix for. He has not seen Rush since the Exit Stage Left tour in dec of 1981 . After all these years he now wants to go  agian laugh.gif . I bet tickets for this go Fast because everyone and their mother wants a ticket . Smart move by the band because seats were a plenty for most of the S&A tour

Not in the UK Metaldad - two nights at Birmingham (the real Birmingham) sold out back to back approx 26,000 in total (13,000) per night.

Thats good to hear. It was pretty sad at someof the shows here

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 9 2010, 10:06 AM)
A great friend of mine for over 30 years called me yesterday and asked me if this was true and what shows i was going to get tix for. He has not seen Rush since the Exit Stage Left tour in dec of 1981 . After all these years he now wants to go  agian laugh.gif . I bet tickets for this go Fast because everyone and their mother wants a ticket . Smart move by the band because seats were a plenty for most of the S&A tour

yeah but it seems that if they only play a few shows in the UK than they would be well attended.

i am pretty sure that they sold more than 13,000 tickets at lots of venues here in the states last tour too.

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 9 2010, 09:38 AM)

There's no way that I could duplicate the experiences I had at early eighties Rush shows. Even if someone had a time machine and brought back 1980 Geddy, Alex, and Neil and had them perform. I was young and it was a new experience that helped define my youth. One of the things I really love about Rush is that they have adapted and reinvented themselves over the years. That's a very unique talent. I still love it when they play the old stuff, but I also like the new stuff as well.

If S&A was the first Rush experience for me, it would be etched in my memory as the best concert ever. That distinction though goes to the GUP show.

The fact that it is now, you are alive now, get a chance to be excited now about a tour this year makes it ultimtely the best by default to me. We have one the greatest storys in rock history playing out in front of our eyes and in our hearts. Sharing memories with our friends, family and children as well as reliving our own storys with this band through the years. Time Machine indeed. Step in and enjoy the ride my friends!

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Apr 9 2010, 03:11 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 9 2010, 09:38 AM)

There's no way that I could duplicate the experiences I had at early eighties Rush shows. Even if someone had a time machine and brought back 1980 Geddy, Alex, and Neil and had them perform. I was young and it was a new experience that helped define my youth. One of the things I really love about Rush is that they have adapted and reinvented themselves over the years. That's a very unique talent. I still love it when they play the old stuff, but I also like the new stuff as well.

If S&A was the first Rush experience for me, it would be etched in my memory as the best concert ever. That distinction though goes to the GUP show.

goodpost.gif

But I also agree that we have what we have now - if they suddenly annouce a UK Leg I would be there shaking my cape.

Many of us are lucky enough to have grow up and grown old with them and enjoyed almost every single thing they have done. The have honesty, integrity and ability beyond belief.

I for one, salute them for it trink38.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 9 2010, 10:09 AM)

yeah but it seems that if they only play a few shows in the UK than they would be well attended.

i am pretty sure that they sold more than 13,000 tickets at lots of venues here in the states last tour too.

Yes they did but sold 12 or 13,000 seats in a place that holds 20,000. Never saw that many empty seats at a Rush show. Jones Beach was half empty . Mohegan Sun was the only show i was at [out of the 5 or 6 S&A shows] That was sold out. About 10,000 seats . I don't think this will be the case this time

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 9 2010, 10:38 AM)

Yes they did but sold 12 or 13,000 seats in a place that holds 20,000. Never saw that many empty seats at a Rush show. Jones Beach was half empty . Mohegan Sun was the only show i was at [out of the 5 or 6 S&A shows] That was sold out. About 10,000 seats . I don't think this will be the case this time

too many shows in the northeast. I also think it wishful thinking on their part that leg 2 of S&A would do as well as the first time around.

QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 9 2010, 10:43 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 9 2010, 10:38 AM)

too many shows in the northeast. I also think it wishful thinking on their part that leg 2 of S&A would do as well as the first time around.

Oh god yes