Geddy radio interview talking about AFTK

JARG

Yeah Terry's gonna get a computer when he gets back to Toronto :LOL:

I'd love to know what kind of computer setup they were referring to. Anyone know? Apparently whatever it was made listening through the individual tracks easier.

Interesting too how they both pronounce 'Madrigal' oddly when they start talking about it, then later they both pronounce it the 'normal' way. I would have loved to hear more about that song's origins and production .. one of my favorite songs off AFTK. I wondered forever how they made the string quartet sound in the background until the 40th anniversary set came out (and it described Alex doing all that on a guitar in the echo chamber).

I wondered forever how they made the string quartet sound in the background until the 40th anniversary set came out (and it described Alex doing all that on a guitar in the echo chamber).

That is interesting, didn't realise that. I'd always assumed it was a synth or mellotron.

I think it's a very underrated song too, an integral part of a classic album.

Thanks for posting this though JARG, it's a brilliant insight into the mindset of the band in the mid 70s. Hard to believe Geddy had just turned 24 at that point. Incredibly driven young men so they were.

Also interesting that, unless I missed it, the only track not mentioned in the preview was Closer To The Heart, which would become the most famous song on the LP!

Edited by Lurkst

I wondered forever how they made the string quartet sound in the background until the 40th anniversary set came out (and it described Alex doing all that on a guitar in the echo chamber).

That is interesting, didn't realise that. I'd always assumed it was a synth or mellotron.

I think it's a very underrated song too, an integral part of a classic album.

Thanks for posting this though JARG, it's a brilliant insight into the mindset of the band in the mid 70s. Hard to believe Geddy had just turned 24 at that point. Incredibly driven young men so they were.

Also interesting that, unless I missed it, the only track not mentioned in the preview was Closer To The Heart, which would become the most famous song on the LP!

Hmmm...I thought it was mentioned at about the same time Madrigal was.

Edit, nm, it was Cinderella Man that was mentioned along with Madrigal.

Edited by JARG

That sound drove me crazy forever. It sounded kind of like strings, but not quite. The Minimoog is floating around in the high top part. I wasn't aware of them using a Mellotron again on this album. As soon as my buddy loaned me the 40th anniversary set, I turned and found this in the booklet:

"They had built a brand new reverb echo chamber," recalled Alex, "Which was basically a big room which was all tiled with mics set up at different distances to capture different reverb times. I recorded some guitar stuff in there trying to create a sort of a string ensemble for 'Madrigal'. There was no light in it so we brought in one bare light bulb. It was very odd. You couldn't speak loudly in there because it was so reverberant it would drive you mental. I had my amp set up there and my volume pedal and my effects and did it right there in that room. We had most of the song done and then we added that as we would if we had brought in a string quartet or something."

• Like 1