What's in it for me? SOUNDGARDEN THREAD!

Soundgarden Chris Cornell Kim Thayil Matt Cameron Ben Sheppard Hiro Yamamoto

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Poll: what's your personal favorite (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Soundgarden album

1. Ultramega OK (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Louder Than Love (2 votes [9.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

3. Badmotorfinger (10 votes [47.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.62%

4. Superunknown (8 votes [38.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

5. Down On The Upside (1 votes [4.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

6. King Animal (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

between the biggest hits off of their two biggest albums

1. Rusty Cage (5 votes [17.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.24%

2. Outshined (4 votes [13.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.79%

3. Slaves And Bulldozers (1 votes [3.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

4. Jesus Christ Pose (6 votes [20.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.69%

5. Black Hole Sun (1 votes [3.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

6. Spoonman (3 votes [10.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

7. Fell On Black Days (6 votes [20.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.69%

8. The Day I Tried To Live (3 votes [10.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 59218 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:30 PM

The story of Badmotorfinger, song by song...

Sponsored Post

#22 ozzy85

ozzy85

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3462 posts
  • Interests:Metal. Beer. Powerbelching. \m/

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:36 PM

View Postgoose, on 25 March 2018 - 11:43 PM, said:

I adore Badmotorfinger.  Such a great album.  And I went with Rusty Cage, both for the original and the Johnny Cash cover.

Cool to hear that you're into their music.  Great musicianship and overall songwriting.

My bomus sleeper track:  With My Good Eye Closed

Indeed. Love the sleeper track. BMF packed such a wallop. I remember buying it and slapping the cassette in the tape deck of my Dart and just listening to it before I went to work. As good as Louder Than Love was, it really built on it and went forward. Seems like all their albums went forward and got better.

I almost consider Superunknown and Down On The Upside a part I and part II album. They both have a more varied approach on song styles. So much great music. The concert in '93 (with Reverend Horton Heat and Screaming Trees) was awesome. Saw them at Memorial Stadium (Seattle). Outdoor gig. Great.

Hard decision. I guess I went with the obvious on BMF. Almost feel like I should change it to Superunknown. They never made a bad album. We had so much killer music here in the first half of the '90's. Favorite band of the "Grunge" era... along with the Melvins.

#23 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 59218 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 12:45 AM

:haz:

#24 ozzy85

ozzy85

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3462 posts
  • Interests:Metal. Beer. Powerbelching. \m/

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:36 AM

I think I'm going into another big Soundgarden kick... the last one was oddly one week before Chris died.

Always loved Kim's guitar playing. I love the huge chunky sound and his odd timing. I remember reading an interview back then on how he wrote mostly in 5's and 7's. He had a harder time with straight 4/4. I get it. The last band I played in had a couple of real straight up and down 4/4 songs. I felt like I couldn't grab onto anything.

Ultramega OK... cool kinda warpy psychedelic album.

When I first saw the name Soundgarden in a local music paper, I really thought they were going to be some kind of hippie black turtleneck wearing kind of band. Wrong.

Random thoughts... more Soundgarden.

#25 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5206 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 27 March 2018 - 12:08 PM

Love all this Soundgarden love!

I was messing around with a weird tuning of my guitar last night, trying to come up with something like Soundgarden would write. Didn't really get anywhere, but it was fun.

#26 stoopid

stoopid

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 916 posts
  • Interests:Music, climbing

Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:34 PM

BMF was probably the most impactful on me as a fan and musician, but I've likely listened to Superunknown more times.  Recently I've rediscovered Down on the Upside.  It slots perfectly between Superunknown's heavier feel and King Animal's more song writing (mainstream/accessible) focused tracks. Down on the Upside might be their best album in terms of balance of song styles.

Thankfully the poll allows multiple choice.  :P

King Animal made a good impression on me, and I like a few of the tracks a lot.  But it's already not being played much, and I've already likely played their other material more in the few years since King Animal was released.

I never connected with their first two albums, just a bit too raw and Zeppelin-esque (derived) for my tastes.  I don't even own them anymore, and the one time I revisited them on youtube I was left feeling the same way.

There's plenty of love for this band and they'll likely be R&R HoF inductees within most of our lifetimes (the 30-40-something demographic rules everything right now).

Edited by stoopid, 27 March 2018 - 01:37 PM.

#27 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5206 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 12:08 AM

I passed up on finally getting Down On The Upside today, I'll be back for it by the end of the week when i get paid. In the meantime, I saw a Screaming Life / FOPP lp at the record store the other day and didn't feel like diving that deep so soon, but what do people think of those two EPs?

#28 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5206 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:54 PM

Got Down On The Upside finally the other day.

This isn't clicking with me immediately, but neither did Superunknown and half of Badmotorfinger. It's like they got simultaneously more nuanced/complex and more punky/diy in places. It's anything but boring, especially considering Applebite, but above all there are at least three or four songs on here I already love, so I think I'm set into my Soundgarden fandom at this point.

What do you all think of it?

#29 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5206 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:56 PM

View Poststoopid, on 27 March 2018 - 01:34 PM, said:

BMF was probably the most impactful on me as a fan and musician, but I've likely listened to Superunknown more times.  Recently I've rediscovered Down on the Upside.  It slots perfectly between Superunknown's heavier feel and King Animal's more song writing (mainstream/accessible) focused tracks. Down on the Upside might be their best album in terms of balance of song styles.

King Animal made a good impression on me, and I like a few of the tracks a lot.  But it's already not being played much, and I've already likely played their other material more in the few years since King Animal was released.

I never connected with their first two albums, just a bit too raw and Zeppelin-esque (derived) for my tastes.  I don't even own them anymore, and the one time I revisited them on youtube I was left feeling the same way.

There's plenty of love for this band and they'll likely be R&R HoF inductees within most of our lifetimes (the 30-40-something demographic rules everything right now).

I just remembered...and I can't believe I never realized this before, Chris won't be at their RRHOF induction. :(

#30 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 59218 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:41 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 09 April 2018 - 10:56 PM, said:

View Poststoopid, on 27 March 2018 - 01:34 PM, said:

I just remembered...and I can't believe I never realized this before, Chris won't be at their RRHOF induction. :(
That will be a sad moment...

#31 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Oracle

• Members
  • 10869 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:39 AM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 09 April 2018 - 10:54 PM, said:

This isn't clicking with me immediately, but neither did Superunknown and half of Badmotorfinger. It's like they got simultaneously more nuanced/complex and more punky/diy in places. It's anything but boring, especially considering Applebite, but above all there are at least three or four songs on here I already love, so I think I'm set into my Soundgarden fandom at this point.

I like the album more now than I did back when it came out. Back then I hated most of but now I can tolerate it. Still think the album is way too mellow considering the two monster albums that came before it. King Animal is much better.

#32 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5206 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:36 AM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 10 April 2018 - 09:39 AM, said:

I like the album more now than I did back when it came out. Back then I hated most of but now I can tolerate it. Still think the album is way too mellow considering the two monster albums that came before it. King Animal is much better.

Yeah, mellow is definitely a good descriptor for it. I haven't heard anyone ever say King Animal is better than any of their other work though, so that's neat that you feel that way!

#33 Leanne

Leanne

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1615 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 06:50 PM

I've always loved this band and I only own 2 of their albums, King Animal and Down on the Upside.  One of my favorite songs is Worse Dreams.  I'm a big Pearl Jam fan and this song sounds alot like a Pearl Jam song (to me anyway).

#34 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 4462 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:11 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 27 March 2018 - 12:08 PM, said:

I was messing around with a weird tuning of my guitar last night, trying to come up with something like Soundgarden would write. Didn't really get anywhere, but it was fun.
There's a youtube video of reviewing their gear with their techs on the King Animal tour. Kim has about 6 or 7 different tunings and the guitar tech has a whole chart with song, guitar and tuning. Trying to play that many tunings would make my head explode.

#35 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5206 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:14 PM

View PostHemiBeers, on 11 April 2018 - 11:11 PM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 27 March 2018 - 12:08 PM, said:

There's a youtube video of reviewing their gear with their techs on the King Animal tour. Kim has about 6 or 7 different tunings and the guitar tech has a whole chart with song, guitar and tuning. Trying to play that many tunings would make my head explode.

And yet they made an incredible song out of pretty much every tuning they tried. It's like nothing could stop them from making incredible music. Imagine if they'd just written in standard tuning and played in 4/4... they'd have been bigger than Nirvana, lol.

#36 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 4462 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:15 PM

It's a strong album, but you get a sense that it's kind of a 'hangover' album from Superunknown. SU was such a monster, it was nearly impossible to top it with the next album.

#37 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5206 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:25 PM

View PostHemiBeers, on 11 April 2018 - 11:15 PM, said:

It's a strong album, but you get a sense that it's kind of a 'hangover' album from Superunknown. SU was such a monster, it was nearly impossible to top it with the next album.

yeah, it sounds to me like they just didn't really know where to go next, and were pulling in too many directions at once. Not that it's bad, but it's very kind of convoluted in ways.

#38 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Oracle

• Members
  • 10869 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:53 AM

I think I'm going to run through their albums again. Haven't listened to them since right after Chris died. But this thread has put me in the mood.

#39 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5206 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 06:47 PM

So I just realized this.

Does anyone else think Seasons Of Whither by Aerosmith sounds an awful lot like Soundgarden? I mean, I can just hear Chris singing that melody rather than Steven, and the chord progression reminds me of something like Black Hole Sun, or even Say Hello 2 Heaven actually.

#40 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 4462 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:03 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 14 April 2018 - 06:47 PM, said:

So I just realized this.

Does anyone else think Seasons Of Whither by Aerosmith sounds an awful lot like Soundgarden? I mean, I can just hear Chris singing that melody rather than Steven, and the chord progression reminds me of something like Black Hole Sun, or even Say Hello 2 Heaven actually.
Good call. I does have the darkness that's in Soundgarden's material and the vocals are definitely in Chris' range.

Back when Rush was being inducted into the RRHOF, my wish was to have Chris do the vocals on 2112 with the Foos and NIck. He could have tore 'Temples' up!

Edited by HemiBeers, 14 April 2018 - 07:04 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Soundgarden, Chris Cornell, Kim Thayil, Matt Cameron, Ben Sheppard, Hiro Yamamoto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users