Do you have sleep apnea?

18 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever been diagnosed with sleep apnea?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If so, do you wear a CPAP/BiPAP?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes
  3. 3. Do you snore?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Only when I sleep with someone else who isn't a deep sleeper.

To those of you who use a CPAP:

Did it take long for you to get used to using it?

Back when I had my first sleep test, yeah, it was kinda hard to find a mask that would fit my face, now I use a nose mask and they have LOTS of different kinds, too! and the machine BiPAP was TWO big machines, one to push the air, and another to humidify the air so your nos and throat didn't get dry. Now both things are done by ONE machine smaller than BOTH of the old type I first had back in 2002.

XjXRYzX.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 1

Another question for you guys:

When you first got your machines did you get bloated tummies? It's affecting Brett. We've been told his b8dy will adjust.

Did this happen with You? How long did it take for you to settle?

When you first got your machines did you get bloated tummies? It's affecting Brett. We've been told his b8dy will adjust.

I don't remember ever getting a bloated stomach from either of my machines, the old one or the new one. In fact, your question kinda surprised me!

AiDQYcq.gif

• Like 1

I don't remember ever getting a bloated stomach from either of my machines, the old one or the new one. In fact, your question kinda surprised me!

AiDQYcq.gif

Hmmm... Interesting. Apparently its quite common.

• Like 1

AiDQYcq.gif

Hmmm... Interesting. Apparently its quite common.

Never happened to me....

f2B1C3O.gif

• Like 1

I have it, yes, and high blood pressure as well.

Provided that one of those things won’t lead to my death, I am otherwise pretty healthy.

I have it, yes, and high blood pressure as well.

Provided that one of those things won’t lead to my death, I am otherwise pretty healthy.

They tend to go together. Apparently with acid reflux. I used to wake up at least 3 times a week in the middle of the night coughing because it felt like I drank molten pennies. I would have to sit up for about an hour until an antacid calmed it down. I had an endoscopy done right after I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, and the doctor told me he could have told me I had sleep apnea before I had the test done. Since getting the oral device two years ago, I haven't taken an antacid and haven't woken up with that sensation (knocks wood) once.

Sleep apnea is really serious. I hope you're using something for it.

• Like 1

My wife has it but I haven't been diagnosed with it. Mostly because I've never been tested since insurance won't approve it and I'm not willing to spend my own money on testing.

So I finally went for my own initial referral.

The doctor was really nice. Great bedside manner.

Was asked to describe my issues. We went through one of those sleepiness tests together and I scored 13, which is mild.

The Dr put a camera up my nose as he thought I might have a deviated septum. He took pictures but never said what they showed.

My height and weight were measured.

He is going to refer me for a sleep study. Just got to wait for the appointment letter now.

• Like 3

I worry that I might have it. I did go for a sleep test, but I couldn't fall asleep - at least my perception is that I didn't fall asleep. They didn't get enough data to say anything for sure. I tried three different mask designs, but I couldn't fall asleep with any of them on. I'm too restless in the initial stages, and I hated anything touching my face. But unfortunately, I rarely feel rested no matter how many hours of sleep I get.

I worry that I might have it. I did go for a sleep test, but I couldn't fall asleep - at least my perception is that I didn't fall asleep. They didn't get enough data to say anything for sure. I tried three different mask designs, but I couldn't fall asleep with any of them on. I'm too restless in the initial stages, and I hated anything touching my face. But unfortunately, I rarely feel rested no matter how many hours of sleep I get.

:( :hug2:

• Like 1

That's how I felt until the test I had in 2002. After I got my mask and machines [air and humidifier] I had trouble at first, but when I had a new machine diagnosed in 2008, I got a better mask and a macine which had the air and humidifier in the same unit and it worked EXCELLENTLY! Then I got a new supplier this year, and all my problems ended. The last supplier porked me BADLY.

AkY7fdf.jpg

• Like 2

Was asked to describe my issues. We went through one of those sleepiness tests together and I scored 13, which is mild.

The Dr put a camera up my nose as he thought I might have a deviated septum. He took pictures but never said what they showed.

He is going to refer me for a sleep study. Just got to wait for the appointment letter now.

That's great news that he's referring for treatment. Personally, I've always used the full face mask (nose and mouth) with my BiPap machine. Never could adapt to just the nose mask. If you do get the equipment, it will take some getting used to...probably a month for me. But you'll definately notice the difference once it starts working for you.
  • Like 2

That's how I felt until the test I had in 2002. After I got my mask and machines [air and humidifier] I had trouble at first, but when I had a new machine diagnosed in 2008, I got a better mask and a macine which had the air and humidifier in the same unit and it worked EXCELLENTLY! Then I got a new supplier this year, and all my problems ended. The last supplier porked me BADLY.

AkY7fdf.jpg

Who's your supplier Orfie? I use Lincare and they're ok, but a pain in the ass alot of times.
  • Like 1

AkY7fdf.jpg

Who's your supplier Orfie? I use Lincare and they're ok, but a pain in the ass alot of times.

I used to use MedEquip, the home medical equipment side of the University of Michigan Hospital, but they kept running out of stuff and finally gave up on Diabetic Supplies once and for all. Now I get my Diabetic equipment from J&B medical, and my BiPap stuff from Healthcare DME here in the Ann Arbor / Ypsi / Saline area, I've found that for what I'd have to get from Blue Care Network for a Chin strap can buy one cheaper from Cpap U.S.A. online where I'd have to pay TWICE as much to get the same chin strap from BCN. Plus I get a NEW home machine every three years, that's something MedEquip never told me. Healthcare DME DID tell me right from the get-go.

zcTgCHw.jpg

• Like 1

That's great news that he's referring for treatment. Personally, I've always used the full face mask (nose and mouth) with my BiPap machine. Never could adapt to just the nose mask. If you do get the equipment, it will take some getting used to...probably a month for me. But you'll definately notice the difference once it starts working for you.

Thanks Hemibeers!!!

Just recieved a new water reservoir for my humidifier portion of my machine! New mask and hose, as well as filters for the mask! Sleeping WELL tonight!

rMDzeD6.gif

• Like 1

I do. I was diagnosed a couple of years ago. I had a dental appliance made. My wife says it’s a game changer. I definitely feel better, more rested.

I’m between 170 and 175 lbs, and about 5’ 10”. But the snoring was getting worse every year.

What kind of appliance do you have if I may ask?

It’s made by a company called Panthera. It’s made of, I think, nylon.

I'll have to look into one of those. I use a football mouth guard on the rare times when the power goes out or I'm unable to use my bipap...but it doesn't really work well. I think apnea stems from having your lower jaw collapse back while you sleep and the mouthpiece prevents that(?)

The mouth guard won’t work. The appliance is made for both upper and lower jaw, and elastics keep my mouth from opening all the way. There’re other “rods” connecting the two pieces that keep my lower jaw jutting out, so my tongue, which is attached to the lower jaw, can’t cover my airway. The rods that connect the two jaws were slowly increased in size so I could get used to it. I’ve never had a problem sleeping with the appliance though. I wouldn’t have worn the CPAP; the sleep test kit was bad enough.

:goodone:

I need to check into these threads more often.

Dental sleep apnea appliances work by positioning the lower jaw forward. Like RNB said, the only way to accomplish this is for the appliance to hold both the upper and lower jaws.

The base of the tongue is connected to the mandible. At the back of the tongue are the lingual tonsils. It's a part of the airway called the orohpharynx and that's where most people have a problem with obstructive sleep apnea.

04a_throat_overview-CROP.jpg

As you lay down, gravity pulls the tongue back and it occludes the oropharynx which blocks the airway.

378748.jpg

If the mandible is held forward, it will in turn pull the tongue forward and open the oropharynx. It works really well on most people with OSA (obstructive sleep apnea).

oral-appliance-therapy.jpg

It is important to have the cause of the sleep apnea properly diagnosed because it could be caused from something else or be central sleep apnea which occurs in the brain.

Anyway, I started this thread because I've been making mandibular re-positioning appliances and was wondering how many people have sleep apnea and if they've tried using the appliances over a CPAP/BIPAP machine.

Edited by workingcinderellaman

I do. I was diagnosed a couple of years ago. I had a dental appliance made. My wife says it’s a game changer. I definitely feel better, more rested.

I’m between 170 and 175 lbs, and about 5’ 10”. But the snoring was getting worse every year.

I'll have to look into one of those. I use a football mouth guard on the rare times when the power goes out or I'm unable to use my bipap...but it doesn't really work well. I think apnea stems from having your lower jaw collapse back while you sleep and the mouthpiece prevents that(?)

The mouth guard won’t work. The appliance is made for both upper and lower jaw, and elastics keep my mouth from opening all the way. There’re other “rods” connecting the two pieces that keep my lower jaw jutting out, so my tongue, which is attached to the lower jaw, can’t cover my airway. The rods that connect the two jaws were slowly increased in size so I could get used to it. I’ve never had a problem sleeping with the appliance though. I wouldn’t have worn the CPAP; the sleep test kit was bad enough.

Dental sleep apnea appliances work by positioning the lower jaw forward. Like RNB said, the only way to accomplish this is for the appliance to hold both the upper and lower jaws.

The base of the tongue is connected to the mandible. At the back of the tongue are the lingual tonsils. It's a part of the airway called the orohpharynx and that's where most people have a problem with obstructive sleep apnea.

As you lay down, gravity pulls the tongue back and it occludes the oropharynx which blocks the airway.

378748.jpg

If the mandible is held forward, it will in turn pull the tongue forward and open the oropharynx. It works really well on most people with OSA (obstructive sleep apnea).

R

It is important to have the cause of the sleep apnea properly diagnosed because it could be caused from something else or be central sleep apnea which occurs in the brain.

Anyway, I started this thread because I've been making mandibular re-positioning appliances and was wondering how many people have sleep apnea and if they've tried using the appliances over a CPAP/BIPAP machine.

Thats a lot of information. It’s like you’re sort of a doctor or something. ;)

378748.jpg

R

Thats a lot of information. It’s like you’re sort of a doctor or something. ;)

since when doesn't this go in a SPAM thread? lol

zYT9Yz9.gif

So I got a letter from the Ear, Nose and Throat dept updating my Dr on what he found regarding my snoring.

He has referred me for sleep studies. Just waiting for the appointment.

It also turns out that I DO have a deviated septum and something called "hypertrophic turbinates" - according to ye olde Google that means I have enlarged tubes in my nose, or as Gilby put it: Fat Nostrils.

I called it Tardis Nose as it's bigger on the inside!

Edited by LyndseyG
  • Like 4

So I got a letter from the Ear, Nose and Throat dept updating my Dr on what he found regarding my snoring.

He has referred me for sleep studies. Just waiting for the appointment.

It also turns out that I DO have a deviated septum and something called "hypertrophic turbinates" - according to ye olde Google that means I have enlarged tubes in my nose, or as Gilby put it: Fat Nostrils.

I called it Tardis Nose as it's bigger on the inside!

:LOL: Love the Tardis joke! (as long as your nose doesn't have to be blue on the outside!). I hope you don't have to wait too long for the follow up. :hug2:

• Like 2