Jump to content


So Mike Portnoy doesn't like any Rush after Moving Pictures?


  • Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#81 Tick

Tick

    Mr: 26,000!!!

  • Members *
  • 26465 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:I'm not in this stove!
  • Interests:I like big butts and i cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny !....oh sorry, lost my mind for a minute.

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:20 AM

View Posttreeduck, on 02 January 2018 - 02:31 PM, said:

View PostTick, on 02 January 2018 - 02:26 PM, said:

I think he is essentially saying he is a 70's era Rush fan. Not a big fan of what came after. A lot of people were not. I don't care what he thinks and I'm a fan of him.

I'd tell Mike that his big super group Sons of Apollo is weak and should have been so much better. Cookie cutter, and formulaic.
Bumblefoot's guitar playing kicks ass though!
The musicians are great. No complaints. My complaint is it sounds rushed. Mike paints this album as his glorious return to prog metal. On that level it disapoints me. Its not horrible but its nothing special.

But that really has nothing to do with the silly topic were discussing. 1001 has said it quite well. Mike was on camera speaking as a fan not a fellow musician. He gave his thoughts on what Rush is to him, and that is the 70's era. Why that is being a hypocrite is what makes this topic so ridiculous.

Sponsored Post

#82 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 33281 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    Sonata Arctica
    Machine Head
    Mastodon
    Trivium
    Metallica
    Jimmy Eat World
    The Juliana Theory
    Bruce Springsteen

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:08 AM

View PostTick, on 03 January 2018 - 07:20 AM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 02 January 2018 - 02:31 PM, said:

View PostTick, on 02 January 2018 - 02:26 PM, said:

I think he is essentially saying he is a 70's era Rush fan. Not a big fan of what came after. A lot of people were not. I don't care what he thinks and I'm a fan of him.

I'd tell Mike that his big super group Sons of Apollo is weak and should have been so much better. Cookie cutter, and formulaic.
Bumblefoot's guitar playing kicks ass though!
The musicians are great. No complaints. My complaint is it sounds rushed. Mike paints this album as his glorious return to prog metal. On that level it disapoints me. Its not horrible but its nothing special.

But that really has nothing to do with the silly topic were discussing. 1001 has said it quite well. Mike was on camera speaking as a fan not a fellow musician. He gave his thoughts on what Rush is to him, and that is the 70's era. Why that is being a hypocrite is what makes this topic so ridiculous.

Agreeeeeed!

#83 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 16647 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:09 AM

View PostSegue Myles, on 03 January 2018 - 10:08 AM, said:

View PostTick, on 03 January 2018 - 07:20 AM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 02 January 2018 - 02:31 PM, said:

View PostTick, on 02 January 2018 - 02:26 PM, said:

I think he is essentially saying he is a 70's era Rush fan. Not a big fan of what came after. A lot of people were not. I don't care what he thinks and I'm a fan of him.

I'd tell Mike that his big super group Sons of Apollo is weak and should have been so much better. Cookie cutter, and formulaic.
Bumblefoot's guitar playing kicks ass though!
The musicians are great. No complaints. My complaint is it sounds rushed. Mike paints this album as his glorious return to prog metal. On that level it disapoints me. Its not horrible but its nothing special.

But that really has nothing to do with the silly topic were discussing. 1001 has said it quite well. Mike was on camera speaking as a fan not a fellow musician. He gave his thoughts on what Rush is to him, and that is the 70's era. Why that is being a hypocrite is what makes this topic so ridiculous.

Agreeeeeed!

Seconded

the guy's annoying.....not a hypocrite, lol

Mick

#84 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 86696 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:15 PM

View PostTick, on 03 January 2018 - 07:20 AM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 02 January 2018 - 02:31 PM, said:

View PostTick, on 02 January 2018 - 02:26 PM, said:

I think he is essentially saying he is a 70's era Rush fan. Not a big fan of what came after. A lot of people were not. I don't care what he thinks and I'm a fan of him.

I'd tell Mike that his big super group Sons of Apollo is weak and should have been so much better. Cookie cutter, and formulaic.
Bumblefoot's guitar playing kicks ass though!
The musicians are great. No complaints. My complaint is it sounds rushed. Mike paints this album as his glorious return to prog metal. On that level it disapoints me. Its not horrible but its nothing special.

But that really has nothing to do with the silly topic were discussing. 1001 has said it quite well. Mike was on camera speaking as a fan not a fellow musician. He gave his thoughts on what Rush is to him, and that is the 70's era. Why that is being a hypocrite is what makes this topic so ridiculous.
What Portnoy knows is what every RUSH fan should, RUSH ARE METAL! :haz: And when they're not they're dead! Go back to being metal too Tick and you'll rise up from the corpse you've become these last few years! :P :smoke:

#85 Tick

Tick

    Mr: 26,000!!!

  • Members *
  • 26465 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:I'm not in this stove!
  • Interests:I like big butts and i cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny !....oh sorry, lost my mind for a minute.

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:56 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 03 January 2018 - 12:15 PM, said:

View PostTick, on 03 January 2018 - 07:20 AM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 02 January 2018 - 02:31 PM, said:

View PostTick, on 02 January 2018 - 02:26 PM, said:

I think he is essentially saying he is a 70's era Rush fan. Not a big fan of what came after. A lot of people were not. I don't care what he thinks and I'm a fan of him.

I'd tell Mike that his big super group Sons of Apollo is weak and should have been so much better. Cookie cutter, and formulaic.
Bumblefoot's guitar playing kicks ass though!
The musicians are great. No complaints. My complaint is it sounds rushed. Mike paints this album as his glorious return to prog metal. On that level it disapoints me. Its not horrible but its nothing special.

But that really has nothing to do with the silly topic were discussing. 1001 has said it quite well. Mike was on camera speaking as a fan not a fellow musician. He gave his thoughts on what Rush is to him, and that is the 70's era. Why that is being a hypocrite is what makes this topic so ridiculous.
What Portnoy knows is what every RUSH fan should, RUSH ARE METAL! :haz: And when they're not they're dead! Go back to being metal too Tick and you'll rise up from the corpse you've become these last few years! :P :smoke:
The drummer who came into my band a little less than a year ago is a metal drummer. He has said many times our music is more complex and harder to play than the stuff he was playing. Just sayin...

Rush survived for over 40 years because they kept evolving. If they continued to stay with the 70's sound would they have endured as long? One could argue, no way.

#86 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 16647 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:00 PM

To be fair.  Mike calls EVERY SINGLE ALBUM he puts out his glorious return.

Mick

#87 Tick

Tick

    Mr: 26,000!!!

  • Members *
  • 26465 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:I'm not in this stove!
  • Interests:I like big butts and i cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny !....oh sorry, lost my mind for a minute.

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:03 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 03 January 2018 - 01:00 PM, said:

To be fair.  Mike calls EVERY SINGLE ALBUM he puts out his glorious return.

Mick
No doubt he over hypes everything but he really went over the top with Sons saying its his new permanent band and primary focus.The record sales say otherwise.

#88 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 16647 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:05 PM

View PostTick, on 03 January 2018 - 01:03 PM, said:

View Postbluefox4000, on 03 January 2018 - 01:00 PM, said:

To be fair.  Mike calls EVERY SINGLE ALBUM he puts out his glorious return.

Mick
No doubt he over hypes everything but he really went over the top with Sons saying its his new permanent band and primary focus.The record sales say otherwise.

oh come Mike we know you.   you'll leave this band in a few months tops.

think he has ADD, lol

Mick

#89 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 86696 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:10 PM

View PostTick, on 03 January 2018 - 12:56 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 03 January 2018 - 12:15 PM, said:

View PostTick, on 03 January 2018 - 07:20 AM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 02 January 2018 - 02:31 PM, said:

View PostTick, on 02 January 2018 - 02:26 PM, said:

I think he is essentially saying he is a 70's era Rush fan. Not a big fan of what came after. A lot of people were not. I don't care what he thinks and I'm a fan of him.

I'd tell Mike that his big super group Sons of Apollo is weak and should have been so much better. Cookie cutter, and formulaic.
Bumblefoot's guitar playing kicks ass though!
The musicians are great. No complaints. My complaint is it sounds rushed. Mike paints this album as his glorious return to prog metal. On that level it disapoints me. Its not horrible but its nothing special.

But that really has nothing to do with the silly topic were discussing. 1001 has said it quite well. Mike was on camera speaking as a fan not a fellow musician. He gave his thoughts on what Rush is to him, and that is the 70's era. Why that is being a hypocrite is what makes this topic so ridiculous.
What Portnoy knows is what every RUSH fan should, RUSH ARE METAL! :haz: And when they're not they're dead! Go back to being metal too Tick and you'll rise up from the corpse you've become these last few years! :P :smoke:
The drummer who came into my band a little less than a year ago is a metal drummer. He has said many times our music is more complex and harder to play than the stuff he was playing. Just sayin...

Rush survived for over 40 years because they kept evolving. If they continued to stay with the 70's sound would they have endured as long? One could argue, no way.
Me and Portnoy are the same, I think he's 6 weeks younger than me so we're basically the same age, we obviously see RUSH the same way. We got into RUSH in the late 70's/early 80's and when RUSH turned with the release of Signals it was a slap in the face. More of the reggae textures, dance beats, less or no heavy guitars, Geddy going from being a shrieker to being a crooner, a kind of new wave image, it's not what we wanted. That's not some kind of high end prog shift that you purport it to be, that's a shift to dad pop! You're a dad pop guy Tick! YOU caused RUSH to lose their balls! You turned into an 80's new wave poser a dad popper and so did RUSH! :16ton:

#90 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 86696 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:21 PM

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 02 January 2018 - 09:50 PM, said:

View PostNew_World_Man, on 02 January 2018 - 09:45 PM, said:

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 02 January 2018 - 09:36 PM, said:

View PostNew_World_Man, on 02 January 2018 - 09:34 PM, said:

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 02 January 2018 - 09:22 PM, said:

View PostNew_World_Man, on 02 January 2018 - 09:14 PM, said:

View PostTick, on 02 January 2018 - 02:26 PM, said:

I think he is essentially saying he is a 70's era Rush fan. Not a big fan of what came after. A lot of people were not. I don't care what he thinks and I'm a fan of him.

I'd tell Mike that his big super group Sons of Apollo is weak and should have been so much better. Cookie cutter, and formulaic.

Yes but what I'm trying to figure out is why is it ok when other bands play shorter songs but not Rush? WTF?

What is there to figure out? So, if I'm a musician, my band has to play nothing but 20-minute prog epics just because I'm also a huge fan of pre-1981 Rush? And I'm a hypocrite if my band plays short songs?
.

Ding, ding ding. We have a winner! :)

Wait, so that's what you actually believe? Really? Or are you just pulling our chains? I think you're just pulling our chains. :)

I do seem some hypocrisy in it yes. That's how I feel. Does that make me less than a Rush fan than Mike Portnoy? :P

A Rush fan is a Rush fan. Either you like their music or you don't. Doesn't matter if you like all of Rush's albums or just their old ones. Plenty of famous musicians love Rush, were heavily influenced by them while they were learning their instruments, yet they don't play in prog bands. Are they less of a Rush fan because of that? Are they hypocrites? No, of course not. Mike Portnoy is no different just because he USED to play in a prog band.
USED to play in a METAL band! :hail:

#91 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 86696 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 03 January 2018 - 02:59 PM

Now here's an album that is high end prog (and it has some heavy guitars). Me and my pal Portnoy like this one:



#92 Tick

Tick

    Mr: 26,000!!!

  • Members *
  • 26465 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:I'm not in this stove!
  • Interests:I like big butts and i cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny !....oh sorry, lost my mind for a minute.

Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:04 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 03 January 2018 - 02:59 PM, said:

Now here's an album that is high end prog (and it has some heavy guitars). Me and my pal Portnoy like this one:


Saw them last September. Amazing show!

#93 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 86696 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:09 PM

View PostTick, on 03 January 2018 - 03:04 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 03 January 2018 - 02:59 PM, said:

Now here's an album that is high end prog (and it has some heavy guitars). Me and my pal Portnoy like this one:


Saw them last September. Amazing show!
:haz: :haz: :haz: :givebeer:

#94 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

    Crushed in Rio

  • Members *
  • 9068 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:33 PM

He was expressing his opinion as a fan, but he'd still go out and see them live on every tour. He named Dream Theater Majesty after he and John Petrucci were lining up to buy tickets to see Rush on the Power Windows tour and said that "Rush sounds so majestic!".

He's also friends with all three Rush members, and wrote the liner notes of the Japanese edition of Vapor Trails.

#95 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

    Crushed in Rio

  • Members *
  • 9068 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:40 PM

http://www.2112.net/...elinernotes.htm

#96 Tony R

Tony R

    Prog Archivist

  • Members *
  • 17251 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Close To The Edge
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:22 AM

It’s the nature of genius to provide idiots with ideas 30 years later.


#97 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

    Crushed in Rio

  • Members *
  • 9068 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:05 AM

View PostTony R, on 05 January 2018 - 03:22 AM, said:

It’s the nature of genius to provide idiots with ideas 30 years later.

Yes, but when the meek inherit the Earth... what will they do about it???.

#98 rftag

rftag

    The Seeker

  • Members *
  • 307 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NYC
  • Interests:Scuba diving, travel, science, philosophy, wildlife, skepticism, belief systems, consciousness

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:49 PM

I suspect that Portnoy is simply representative of a large subset of Rush fans who lost interest in Rush after Moving Pictures because of their shift towards what many would describe as "synth pop".

Discussions about this can get very heated obviously. Many object to using the word "pop" in the context of Rush for example because they take it as an insinuation that Rush softened its sound and moved towards a synth driven rather than guitar driven sound primarily for commercial reasons.

That's not an argument that interests me. I find it hard to believe that a band that had the balls to do something as unconventional as 2112 when they were essentially issued an ultimatum to make a more publicly accessible album or else get out of town would change their sound in an attempt to reach the top of the charts.

But at the same time I don't summarily dismiss the possibility. They aren't morally perfect gods, they're human beings.

At that point in their lives (after MP), they were all married with children and approaching or past 30 (an age that seems REALLY OLD at that point in your life) and had experienced unprecedented commercial success. I don't think it's impossible that the idea of putting out something that could reach a wider audience than MP by changing their sound to something more radio friendly didn't figure in their decision to change sonic direction.

After all, the bands they cite as influencing them in their choice to change direction were The Police and U2, not some underground band they heard in some small club or some such.

They could reasonably be expected at that point in their lives to have recognized the unique opportunity they had to firmly establish sound and stable economic security for themselves and their families.

Consciously or subconsciously.

Nothing wrong with that.

I'm not saying I think they did that; I'm skeptical of the possibility frankly for many reasons.

But I don't think it should be so casually or angrily dismissed as it seems to so often be.

Yeah, I know I've stepped into the shit with this post and can anticipate some angry responses but - hey -  just saying.

I apologize in advance for pissing anyone off...

Edited by rftag, 11 January 2018 - 07:53 PM.


#99 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 4599 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:37 AM

View Postrftag, on 11 January 2018 - 07:49 PM, said:

I suspect that Portnoy is simply representative of a large subset of Rush fans who lost interest in Rush after Moving Pictures because of their shift towards what many would describe as "synth pop".

Discussions about this can get very heated obviously. Many object to using the word "pop" in the context of Rush for example because they take it as an insinuation that Rush softened its sound and moved towards a synth driven rather than guitar driven sound primarily for commercial reasons.

That's not an argument that interests me. I find it hard to believe that a band that had the balls to do something as unconventional as 2112 when they were essentially issued an ultimatum to make a more publicly accessible album or else get out of town would change their sound in an attempt to reach the top of the charts.

But at the same time I don't summarily dismiss the possibility. They aren't morally perfect gods, they're human beings.

At that point in their lives (after MP), they were all married with children and approaching or past 30 (an age that seems REALLY OLD at that point in your life) and had experienced unprecedented commercial success. I don't think it's impossible that the idea of putting out something that could reach a wider audience than MP by changing their sound to something more radio friendly didn't figure in their decision to change sonic direction.

After all, the bands they cite as influencing them in their choice to change direction were The Police and U2, not some underground band they heard in some small club or some such.

They could reasonably be expected at that point in their lives to have recognized the unique opportunity they had to firmly establish sound and stable economic security for themselves and their families.

Consciously or subconsciously.

Nothing wrong with that.

I'm not saying I think they did that; I'm skeptical of the possibility frankly for many reasons.

But I don't think it should be so casually or angrily dismissed as it seems to so often be.

Yeah, I know I've stepped into the shit with this post and can anticipate some angry responses but - hey -  just saying.

I apologize in advance for pissing anyone off...

Spoiler

Sorry for the ranty two cents there, I don't really disagree with you so much as I just wanted to put my opinion out there.

#100 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 31676 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:56 AM

View Postbluefox4000, on 31 December 2017 - 03:33 PM, said:

Portnoy's a dipstick.  Talented but a dipstick

Mick

This




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users