New music from U2? Album apparently expected within this year! I'm shocked! The singles show promise too!

Entre_Perpetuo

Do you like   

8 members have voted

1. 1. The Little Things That Give You Away

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. Blackout

• yes
    • no
  3. 3. You're The Best Thing About Me

• yes
    • no

I'd like U2 if they were more of a kick ass heavy metal band with a guitarist who had some balls and a mercurial talent, instead of a lot of reverb and a tendency to play 3 chords over an over.

I think for five albums they were a great rock band. No need for them to be "metal".

But then they turned to shit and...weirdly...seemed to get more and more adoration.

Their 7th is their best, Achtung Baby.

• Like 1

I'd like U2 if they were more of a kick ass heavy metal band with a guitarist who had some balls and a mercurial talent, instead of a lot of reverb and a tendency to play 3 chords over an over.

I think for five albums they were a great rock band. No need for them to be "metal".

But then they turned to shit and...weirdly...seemed to get more and more adoration.

Their 7th is their best, Achtung Baby.

I hate it.

• Like 1

I simply find U2 very uninteresting. I think it's because they never seemed to grow as musicians. Each member is very limited with what they bring to the table. Add being unbearably earnest and you have a band that I think should have wore out its welcome by now, IMHO.

I simply find U2 very uninteresting. I think it's because they never seemed to grow as musicians. Each member is very limited with what they bring to the table. Add being unbearably earnest and you have a band that I think should have wore out its welcome by now, IMHO.

I thought your 4/10 was incredibly generous

Great songwriters will always be more valuable than great musicians.

The new album is not representative of great songwriting lol

Oh yay. i can spew some more negativity. i Never ever thought U2 was that special. and really truly feel i'm not missing a thing.

It's not that their music is bad really.....it's bland. which IMO is a far worse thing to be.

Mick

Oh yay. i can spew some more negativity. i Never ever thought U2 was that special. and really truly feel i'm not missing a thing.

It's not that their music is bad really.....it's bland. which IMO is a far worse thing to be.

Mick

I love the early stuff but in the grand scheme of things...they were no REM who arguably did similar things with a lot more flair.

• Like 1

Now I didn't say I was talking about the new album, lol.

I've listened to a bit of it though and, it seems a little less lifeless than a lot of what they've done since 2000, not surprisingly so, but still pleasant.

• Like 1

I've listened to a bit of it though and, it seems a little less lifeless than a lot of what they've done since 2000, not surprisingly so, but still pleasant.

I just can't get into any of the post-2000 stuff, the song Vertigo aside! I try

• Like 1

I just can't get into any of the post-2000 stuff, the song Vertigo aside! I try

I mean, I wouldn't mind if U2 had just stopped existing after Pop based on what they've put out since then. If you enjoy it that's great, but if you don't, you really aren't missing much.

They're focusing more and more on "the message" and trying to be the musical saviors of the world, because that's what Bono has tried to do for the last 20 years. Ducky's comment about him and Sean Penn isn't inaccurate :LOL:

Even if their post-Atomic Bomb music (and even post-Achtung depending on your tastes) is really boring and bland, they connect with a lot of people for non-musical reasons, channeled through their music. Twice they've gone too far and got (rightfully so) shit on for it, the first time with Rattle and Hum, the second time with forcing Songs of Innocence on everyone like it's god's gift to man, but apart from that, especially with the political craziness of the last two years, they've rallied people together.

Unrelated, my opinion of U2 is mostly negative, I'm just not a fan of their style of music. Vertigo and Where The Streets Have No Name are pretty decent songs, I just can't really get into these guys.

• Like 1

Yeah that's a pretty common reaction to their style, and many other more "song style" bands. I'm in agreement, Edge is just boring.

Rutherford and Banks were much the same way with Genesis especially after Hackett left, and Lindsay Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac is like that too.

I like a good rock song as much as anyone, but man, there's nothing wrong with showing off some musical muscle here and there. If done right, it actually improves the song. It doesn't always have to be about relatable lyrics or a good vocalist.

• Like 1

Yeah that's a pretty common reaction to their style, and many other more "song style" bands. I'm in agreement, Edge is just boring.

Rutherford and Banks were much the same way with Genesis especially after Hackett left, and Lindsay Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac is like that too.

I like a good rock song as much as anyone, but man, there's nothing wrong with showing off some musical muscle here and there. If done right, it actually improves the song. It doesn't always have to be about relatable lyrics or a good vocalist.

But Rutherford, Banks, and Buckingham are all virtuosos. The problem with The Edge is he's really just not a very technically skilled guitarist.

The problem with The Edge is he's really just not a very technically skilled guitarist.

That is only a problem if your expectations are unrealistic. The Edge is not a technical player or one who is flashy or feels the need to solo. No one listens to U2 expecting to be wowed by technical guitar playing or beastly soloing, but his playing is very innovative and quite unique. He developed a sound and style that is all his own, which is not easy to do with the electric guitar. Are there times where I wish he could cut loose a little and let it rip? Hell yeah, but I am fine with it when he doesn't because he does plenty of great stuff already. Remember, he is the man who wrote Where the Streets Have No Name. That alone makes him a legend.

Edited by The K Man
  • Like 1

The problem with The Edge is he's really just not a very technically skilled guitarist.

That is only a problem if your expectations are unrealistic. The Edge is not a technical player or one who is flashy or feels the need to solo. No one listens to U2 expecting to be wowed by technical guitar playing or beastly soloing, but his playing is very innovative and quite unique. He developed a sound and style that is all his own, which is not easy to do with the electric guitar. Are there times where I wish he could cut loose a little and let it rip? Hell yeah, but I am fine with it when he doesn't because he does plenty of great stuff already. Remember, he is the man who wrote Where the Streets Have No Name. That alone makes him a legend.

I'm not discrediting his talent as a musician, I was adding some clarification to a point someone made earlier putting The Edge in the same category as Lindsey Buckingham and some of the guys from Genesis. No, I don't need The Edge to be a flashy player, he's a wonderful songwriter and is usually very tasteful in his playing as well. I called it a problem probably just because he's a bit of a one trick pony at times and just gets old after a little while. Yeah, I know you have 13,000 other effects you haven't tried, but you've been playing the same three notes for the past 30 years! (that's hyperbole of course)

He had some influence on Alex in the area of creating a sonic palette of sound that the songs sit upon, or it sounds that way to me. He is U2's secret weapon.

Edited to add: found this 1984 quote from Al:

"I admire Andy Summers very much. I think he plays a really good role in that band. The guitar is just where it should be. He has a very good sensitive touch and a sensitive approach to his guitar parts. The Edge from U2, I like his style and I've liked Midge Ure of Ultravox for a very long time."

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/free-music-06.1984.php

Edited by Wil1972