Telephone Scams

Lorraine

I'm going to phone up Lorraine and pretend to be salesman.

Thanks for the pre-dawn laugh. :laughing guy:

How would you like a set of brushes?

[Click!]

:AlienSmiley:

If at first you don't succeed....

That can be construed as dirty! (suck seed)

• Like 1

We could call Lorraine and ask,"Would you be interested in public lice?" :LOL:

And like was suggested, next time they call, crank 2112. But fast forward to the beginning of "Temples of Syrinx". Or just play that Justin Timberlake song... "Bye Bye Bye!!"

• Like 3

We could call Lorraine and ask,"Would you be interested in public lice?" :LOL:

And like was suggested, next time they call, crank 2112. But fast forward to the beginning of "Temples of Syrinx". Or just play that Justin Timberlake song... "Bye Bye Bye!!"

Now that would make me laugh. :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

• Like 2

Someone just posted this on my area news page on FB. Am passing it along to you.

Hey everyone; have any of you been receiving the same scam calls I have from a 484-316-1838 or 484-316-1837 numbers? They state they are from the IRS and that a debt is owed and wanting my personal information, when I confronted the numerous people who have kept calling they hang up on me, then I call back and it literally rings for over a minute and someone who doesn't speak English well at all answers and try to give me the same story I then call them out again and they hang up. This has been going on now for 3 days and I have spoke to several family members and friends who are receiving the same calls etc. I have a voicemail even from a recording they have for me to call back immediately.

My mom, who's 87, gets these all the time. She's not technologically savvy but I finally have her convinced to call and tell me when she gets these. They pretty much all follow the same classic formula described above.

There's a special place in hell for these scumbags who scam the elderly.

• Like 4

My mom, who's 87, gets these all the time. She's not technologically savvy but I finally have her convinced to call and tell me when she gets these. They pretty much all follow the same classic formula described above.

There's a special place in hell for these scumbags who scam the elderly.

I filed a complaint with the FCC. :codger:

I'm sure they got right on it. :eh: :eyeroll:

This is all very common. Unfortunately a lot of older people fall for it. I have caller ID and answer my phone maybe one out of a hundred calls these days. Makes me wonder why I still have a land line.
  • Like 1

This is all very common. Unfortunately a lot of older people fall for it. I have caller ID and answer my phone maybe one out of a hundred calls these days. Makes me wonder why I still have a land line.

Because cell phones are unreliable?

• Like 1

Someone just posted this on my area news page on FB. Am passing it along to you.

Hey everyone; have any of you been receiving the same scam calls I have from a 484-316-1838 or 484-316-1837 numbers? They state they are from the IRS and that a debt is owed and wanting my personal information, when I confronted the numerous people who have kept calling they hang up on me, then I call back and it literally rings for over a minute and someone who doesn't speak English well at all answers and try to give me the same story I then call them out again and they hang up. This has been going on now for 3 days and I have spoke to several family members and friends who are receiving the same calls etc. I have a voicemail even from a recording they have for me to call back immediately.

What if everyone just gave them false information? It would create extra work for them and they wouldn't get anything in return. after a while, they would stop.

• Like 2

What if everyone just gave them false information? It would create extra work for them and they wouldn't get anything in return. after a while, they would stop.

They call me twice a week and sometimes on Saturday morning.

It's a real nuisance.

That would be the case years ago when cell phones weren't as common as they are now. Some rural areas may have questionable coverage still but for the most part today networks have pretty good coverage. I haven't had a landline in over a decade. Once I got a cell phone the only time my home phone would ring was when salesman or bill collectors called. Anyone I cared to speak with just called/texted my cell. There was zero reason to keep the landline.

If these scammers are still calling, you should get a caller ID. That way at least you know who it is and don't have to answer. My parents had one for years so they could avoid answering unwanted calls.

That would be the case years ago when cell phones weren't as common as they are now. Some rural areas may have questionable coverage still but for the most part today networks have pretty good coverage. I haven't had a landline in over a decade. Once I got a cell phone the only time my home phone would ring was when salesman or bill collectors called. Anyone I cared to speak with just called/texted my cell. There was zero reason to keep the landline.

If these scammers are still calling, you should get a caller ID. That way at least you know who it is and don't have to answer. My parents had one for years so they could avoid answering unwanted calls.

That's not what I meant about them being unreliable.

I was thinking about an extended power outage or a national emergency.

Just tell them to hold on. Then, prop the phone against your stereo speaker and play 2112 full blast in its entirety.

That's called making lemonade out of lemons.

Well, maybe not but at least you will have heard 2112 instead of their crap.

:blaze:

Here's a better song for these people

The only phones that will work in an extended power outage are the corded ones.

Cell phones would still work until their batteries died I would think.

Need cell towers to transfer the signals. If they have no power good luck with your cell phone.

• Like 2

The IRS would never call anyone. They do things the old fashion way, snail mail.

I still get calls and texts from places and all phone numbers here are on the Do not call registry.

Caller ID flashes name, number, location on the TV screen. I have to start writing them down.

Wouldn't be great to send THEM something through the phone, like a ________________ (fill in blank with method of revenge).

Good Times. :LOL: