Sneak peek inside Neil's new book

blueschica

RushIsABand posted a link to a preview of Neil's new book that is being released next week- Far and Wide: Bring That Horizon To Me!

There are quite a few pages included in the preview, as well as some childhood photos I don't remember seeing before. Let the Neil comments begin! :D

https://books.google...epage&q&f=false

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

I am not a fan of Neils' books. But I also try to refrain from bashing him beyond making that simple observation, but one phrase I see crop up in his writing from time to time that sticks in my crawl is "praise of the praiseworthy" ... It is like he is saying unless you are a fellow musician, your praise of his skills are nothing more than fanboi malarky. But if it comes from Stewart Copeland, it is "sweet" praise. :eh: Okay ... I am done. :7up: Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 4

RushIsABand posted a link to a preview of Neil's new book that is being released next week- Far and Wide: Bring That Horizon To Me!

There are quite a few pages included in the preview, as well as some childhood photos I don't remember seeing before. Let the Neil comments begin! :D

https://books.google...epage&q&f=false

I've gotten used to when he goes off on tangents during a story. "I remember when...." then I just skip ahead a few paragraphs to find out the story ending.
  • Like 1

A farewell by Neil to the band, to the fans, to the performing life. It's eloquent, bittersweet, and definitely worth picking up.

Yes, he's actually talking about the band here, not just a travelogue.

• Like 2

I am not a fan of Neils' books. But I also try to refrain from bashing him beyond making that simple observation, but one phrase I see crop up in his writing from time to time that sticks in my crawl is "praise of the praiseworthy" ... It is like he is saying unless you are a fellow musician, your praise of his skills are nothing more than fanboi malarky. But if it comes from Stewart Copeland, it is "sweet" praise. :eh: Okay ... I am done. :7up:

Well, let's be honest about it. If you're highly-respected and world-reknowned for what you do, then you receive two levels of praise: The praise from your peers and the praise from everyone else.

Whether you're an artist, musician, pro athlete, surgeon, architect, ..... Praise from your peers IS superior to praise from everyone else.

• Like 4

I am not a fan of Neils' books. But I also try to refrain from bashing him beyond making that simple observation, but one phrase I see crop up in his writing from time to time that sticks in my crawl is "praise of the praiseworthy" ... It is like he is saying unless you are a fellow musician, your praise of his skills are nothing more than fanboi malarky. But if it comes from Stewart Copeland, it is "sweet" praise. :eh: Okay ... I am done. :7up:

Well, let's be honest about it. If you're highly-respected and world-reknowned for what you do, then you receive two levels of praise: The praise from your peers and the praise from everyone else.

Whether you're an artist, musician, pro athlete, surgeon, architect, ..... Praise from your peers IS superior to praise from everyone else.

Exactly. Because they know more about what goes into getting to that level of skill and can appreciate it on more than a surface level.

• Like 1

A farewell by Neil to the band, to the fans, to the performing life. It's eloquent, bittersweet, and definitely worth picking up.

Yes, he's actually talking about the band here, not just a travelogue.

I have to say from the snippets I read, it is by far the best of his writing I have seen. Seems he may have finally mastered that to a degree as well.

• Like 1

Maybe so, I can see that, but coming from him it comes across as a little pretentious when he says it that way. Especially knowing how he feels about adulation from fans.

• Like 1

Maybe so, I can see that, but coming from him it comes across as a little pretentious when he says it that way. Especially knowing how he feels about adulation from fans.

Perhaps his comment was a little snooty, but as we all know, Neil loves to use artistic license when he writes. A bit of poetry here, a dab of borrowing some famous quote there..... I bet he borrowed that line from somewhere! :LOL:

• Like 2