This may not seem RUSH related

Presto-a RUSH fan!

*****This isn't directly RUSH related and I know there is mention of it in SOCN but not everyone can access it or goes there. I figured to reach the most people on TRF I would have to post it here. If the mods want to move it that is ok...obviously. I understand that I am skirting the rules by saying this is RUSH related but I'd hate to see a day where they start limiting forums like TRF using laws that were never meant to do so. ****

Anyone who uses Google has seen the black box over the word Google lately. You may have thought the pic didn't load or it was some movement you didn't know about. Or if you put your cursor over it and clicked it you saw that it is to stop 2 bills that will end up censoring the Internet. They may not effect us directly at first, but these laws always start out with good intentions (well maybe not) and they end up using them to limit our freedom.

I don't know about you, but I feel I am smart enough to pick out the bad stuff on the Internet instead of having the government do it for me.

Here is the link that you would follow if you click the black box covering the Google logo https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Or just go to Wikipedia and try to load it, you will get this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

At the very least read what the laws would do and if you don't agree don't sign the petition. Both links will give you the ability to sign. And if you are so worried about putting your email address and name out their...Trust me, it already is, at least this will help stop the government from treating us like we live in China.

Three wise men said:

"If you choose not to decide

You still have made a choice"

And feel free to point out that Google and Wikipedia are just protecting their own interests, but in this case, those interests would effect US!

I saw this this morning on Wikipedia and actually created a thread but trashed as I thought it would get sent to SOCN.

I've already emailed by Reps and Senators DO THE SAME!!!!

The only way your voice will be heard is if you go to them!!!

Let 'em know what you feel and want!!!

If you are fed up with gov't this is a chance to be heard!!!!!

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Jan 18 2012, 07:47 PM)
I saw this this morning on Wikipedia and actually created a thread but trashed as I thought it would get sent to SOCN.

Check this out!!!

It works I emailed this guy this morning!!!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/18/m...26pLid%3D128565

It's pretty much dead in the water right now, but you can bet it'll be back.

I hope that this doesn't get moved to SOCN. It's not political, it's the survival of the internet, and yes, TRF would get shut down if it passes. There is a *ton* of copyright infringing material here, from posted lyrics to images to links to bootlegs & other things. All it would take is one person to file against TRF and it would be gone in less than a week - without notifying the owners.

That's SOPA. Call your congressperson.

Incidentally, before anyone gets defensive... the That's It thread alone contains hundreds of images that are posted without the consent of the copyright holders.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I happen to think that copyright law needs a MAJOR overhaul. But under the current law, anytime someone posts an image that they don't own the rights to and without permission, the law is being broken.

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Jan 18 2012, 08:04 PM)
QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Jan 18 2012, 07:47 PM)

Check this out!!!

It works I emailed this guy this morning!!!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/18/m...26pLid%3D128565

notworthy.gif

So you are not so Invisible are you!

Thanks for stopping this madness!

trink39.gif

danielmclark Posted on Jan 18 2012, 08:38 PM

I hope that this doesn't get moved to SOCN. It's not political, it's the survival of the internet, and yes, TRF would get shut down if it passes. There is a *ton* of copyright infringing material here, from posted lyrics to images to links to bootlegs & other things. All it would take is one person to file against TRF and it would be gone in less than a week - without notifying the owners.

Amen Brother! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jan 18 2012, 07:34 PM)
Why's this in the main Rush Forum?
It's not Rush-related, discussion of this site is not Rush-related!

Fair enough.

I would urge again though, please don't move it to SOCN. Stick it in Random Samples, that would work.

http://ecolerugbysor.unblog.fr/files/2010/02/397e5c99f6c78e2ea119.gif

I've sent emails to my Congress Critters. This is not a partisan issue - it will affect ALL of us. We need to be vigilant and LOUD!

Several Senators from both sides of the aisle have pulled their support for the bill and done so publicly. I saw Senator Sherrod Brown just now and he said that the Senate will be voting on PIPA next week. So they are still at it. That means WE have to keep at THEM!

Thank you, Mods for leaving this thread where it will be seen by all.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jan 18 2012, 07:42 PM)
I would be surprised if this thread is the first anyone has heard of this.

People in my industry have been fighting it since it was introduced. Average Americans, no, they haven't - until today. With Wikipedia and a bunch of other sites going offline as a form of protest, word is getting around.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 18 2012, 08:40 PM)
the That's It thread alone contains hundreds of images that are posted without the consent of the copyright holders.
anytime someone posts an image that they don't own the rights to and without permission, the law is being broken.

For the love of God write your congressman.

SOPA is a terrible thing. I understand where companies are coming from, but infringing people's basic human rights is a terrible thing. The USA is a part of the UN, and from what I remember in order to be a part of the UN your country needs to adhere to certain regulations. If memory serves, censoring the media breaks one of them.

QUOTE (Chicken hawk @ Jan 18 2012, 08:29 PM)
I emailed my state Senator . .
Not sure what the whole thing is about or why it even started.

It started because the RIAA and MPAA member corporations aren't content to make billions of dollars, they have to make trillions - and they think that copyright infringement online is keeping them from making trillions of dollars.

I'm only being halfway facetious.

They are publicly saying that the bill is targeting foreign websites that host copyrighted content, but the reality is that they wrote the bill intentionally vaguely enough that it can be used against US-based websites as well.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jan 18 2012, 09:34 PM)
Why's this in the main Rush Forum?
It's not Rush-related, discussion of this site is not Rush-related!

That is why I quoted Freewill in my OP! So blah it is RUSH related!

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jan 18 2012, 09:42 PM)
I would be surprised if this thread is the first anyone has heard of this.

Sadly I first heard of it only a few days ago. Then was reminded of it when I saw the black banner over the Google logo. I think that regardless if people have heard about it, it is so important, especially to us as we post on the TRF. Since we are already online now, we can simply go to Google or Wikipedia as we read this and sign the petition which takes less than 30 seconds. Where as seeing it on TV, hearing it on the radio or talking with a friend about it, you aren't necessarily a click away from signing the petition and hopefully making a difference. IMO.

I heard an interesting interview with a song writer this afternoon. He said that he only gets a fraction of a penny for each digital download of a song he has written. One song of his had over 10,000 downloads so he inquired about royalties and received a check for a little less than $2 (US). Downloads don't affect him and he said that the true problems with piracy happen more in China and other Asian countries more than anything in Europe or the USA.

This is Rush related because if effects all music sold or otherwise in this country. I doubt TRF would be targeted anytime soon because no official releases are allowed to be posted here, but the very fact that copy-written images show up here all the time means that eventually the axe will fall.

Public awareness is causing several Congress-ites to change their positions. If you oppose SOPA and PIPA then take a moment to google search your Congressman's and Senator's email address and tell them that you oppose it. They do pay attention if enough emails come in.

Both the left and right side of the political isle oppose this action. Yes copyrights should be protected, but censorship is is another matter and I seriously doubt that anyone is making tremendous profits from grabbing images from this website. God grant common sense to the people of this nation. Please.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Jan 18 2012, 07:25 PM)
SOPA is a terrible thing. I understand where companies are coming from, but infringing people's basic human rights is a terrible thing. The USA is a part of the UN, and from what I remember in order to be a part of the UN your country needs to adhere to certain regulations. If memory serves, censoring the media breaks one of them.

You are correct, Sir. yes.gif

Now, I don't want anyone to think that we who oppose SOPA are against artists being fairly compensated for their work. Not at all. It's just that the SOPA and PIPA go way too far. Someone I read last night had this analogy:

Imagine back in the day of rotary phones, that the phone company was required to listen-in to the content of every conversation and judge it and decide if it was threatening, or criminal or anything else undesireable. Speaking strictly of copy-right issues, would that have meant an extra phone-royalty charge for anyone who called up grandma and sang Happy Birthday?

IOW, it's overkill. Like treating a roach infestation with an atom bomb. We can prevent piracy and still keep the Internet free of censorship and arbitrary shut-downs.

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 19 2012, 03:11 AM)
We can prevent piracy...

I was with you up until this bit wink.gif

If history has proved anything, it's that we can't prevent piracy. It existed long before the internet, and when it comes to pirates vs. governments, the governments are always a step or two behind (and always will be - it's the nature of piracy for the pirates to innovate in ways the governments aren't prepared for).

It's like the online poker debate. A few months ago, the US government illegally (IMO) seized the domains of Full Tilt Poker, Doyle's Room, Poker Stars and a bunch of others because they decided to pass a bullsht law about online gaming. US players were supposedly cut off from playing real money games online.

Except that I play for real money at Carbon Poker now.

The pirates - and poker enthusiasts - are always one step ahead of the governments.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 18 2012, 09:34 PM)
QUOTE (Chicken hawk @ Jan 18 2012, 08:29 PM)
I emailed my state Senator .  .
Not sure what the whole thing is about or why it even started.

It started because the RIAA and MPAA member corporations aren't content to make billions of dollars, they have to make trillions - and they think that copyright infringement online is keeping them from making trillions of dollars.

I'm only being halfway facetious.

They are publicly saying that the bill is targeting foreign websites that host copyrighted content, but the reality is that they wrote the bill intentionally vaguely enough that it can be used against US-based websites as well.

Thankyou for that Explaination. Money is everything to some.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 18 2012, 07:38 PM)

TRF is my internet home...they can't take it away.

I hate it when the government has total control on every aspect on our damn lives.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 19 2012, 11:39 AM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 19 2012, 03:11 AM)
We can prevent piracy...

I was with you up until this bit wink.gif

If history has proved anything, it's that we can't prevent piracy. It existed long before the internet, and when it comes to pirates vs. governments, the governments are always a step or two behind (and always will be - it's the nature of piracy for the pirates to innovate in ways the governments aren't prepared for).

It's like the online poker debate. A few months ago, the US government illegally (IMO) seized the domains of Full Tilt Poker, Doyle's Room, Poker Stars and a bunch of others because they decided to pass a bullsht law about online gaming. US players were supposedly cut off from playing real money games online.

Except that I play for real money at Carbon Poker now.

The pirates - and poker enthusiasts - are always one step ahead of the governments.

daniel is correct.

We used to trade tapes to learn about new music. we used to record movies on vhs tapes.

We used to record music off of the radio. All of that was "piracy" but no one cared. The best solution they can offer is a way to only buy the same product once.