Snakes and Arrows vs Vapor Trails

pt2112

171 members have voted

1. 1. Snakes and Arrows vs Vapor Trails

• Snakes and Arrows
    • Vapor Trails

I haven't seen a poll like this on here, and just want to know what you think is better. I know a lot of people that love either Snakes or Vapor Trails outside this forum. So what do you guys think? Even though I've been listening to Snakes like crazy and love it, I still give the edge to Vapor Trails. Possibly because its been out longer and I've listened to it so much more.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you asked me which album has the best individual song, I'd have to say "Snakes and Arrows". But if you asked me which album, as a whole, is the best, I'd say they are about equal.

Fair enough?

PS - The song I'm referring to is "Armor and Sword".

Can't decide....for I love them both ever so dearly.........

I gotta give the edge to S&A for many reasons. The songs are better, the quality is better. I love VT but it's noisy, loud, kind of all-over-the-place. S&A is much more polished and crafted. Plus it has THREE instrumentals.

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Wow, this is a tough one. I'd have to give the nod to S&A. I've damn near worn out my CD playing it in my car. All the time. For the past two weeks, I've either been playing S&A or a personally mixed CD of Tool. (Saw Tool in concert in Cincy a week or so ago...save yourself the $$$. Great video show. Love their music, but they are DULL in concert. Even their hard core fans were getting restless and bored.)

Anyhow, I digress. Even when I listened to VT alot, I skipped a lot of songs on it. I only skip one or two on S&A. Really, comparing VT and S&A is like comparing apples and oranges. VT is very hard rocking. I absolutely LOVE to crack it up to Earthshine, Nocturne and Freeze. S&A, on the other hand, is much more musically complex, and its much more lyrically compelling, too.

That being said, I think VT and S&A is the best back to back release Rush has had since PW and MP. And that is saying something.

Snakes by a longshot. I have played this album consistently for the last two months. VT, I hardly, if ever, listen to. Whilst it has it moments, it was not from a sonic point of view their best work. The four tracks they played live were better on the Rush in Rio and R30 concert films (and offshoot CDs).

QUOTE (KevinDallas @ Jul 8 2007, 10:31 AM)
I gotta give the edge to S&A for many reasons. The songs are better, the quality is better. I love VT but it's noisy, loud, kind of all-over-the-place. S&A is much more polished and crafted. Plus it has THREE instrumentals.
2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

i agree with you on that one. good call

Vapor Trails, admittedly as sonically maligned as it is, by a long shot. S&A is good, but doesn't have the emotional impact that VT does, nor does it pack the wallop that VT does. VT seems to be getting dismissed lately, but I think that in a few years it will be looked back on more fondly. It has the same "under the radar" feel that Presto has, and look at how we fans feel about Presto today - it's an absolute classic. I don't find S&A anywhere near as immediately satisfying as VT ever has been.

S&A, by a long shot. yes.gif If VT is ever remastered, it will be a closer call, but I think I will still prefer S&A. For me, there is nothing on VT (or TFE, for that matter) that comes closer to "vintage Rush" than MalNar and Far Cry. And I think Armor and Sword 1287.gif may be the best single Rush song since The Pass.

By the way, some people b1tch a lot about the vocal layering and "whoas" on S&A fists crying.gif , but Jeezus there is about 10 times more vocal layering on VT than on S&A!!! So if you claim to prefer VT over S&A, please stop b1tching about the vocal layering on S&A, because obviously it didn't bother you on VT.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 8 2007, 08:08 PM)
wow....bigger margin than I'd imagined.

ya me too, I actually thought this was going to be decently tight

I put S&A down, also, but that could be due to its "newness." As much as I love S&A, there is nothing on that CD that comes close to Earthshine.

Archived