2016-17 College Football Thread

Absolute BULL SHIT that Ohio State is gonna be let into the playoffs without winning their division nor their conference championship. For Christ's sake, Penn State beat Ohio State head to head and are in the championship game.

This crap right here will result in more and more cupcakes being scheduled for non conference games. Penn State finally challenges Pitt, and loses, and they're gonna be punished for it.

Angry you seem, young Jedi.

I'll absolutely concede that OSU has had some less than overwhelming victories this year, and some times when they didn't have it all together too well. Definitely didn't look like the #2 team in the country. But the same can be said for Clemson, and they're #3.

Ohio State had six returning starting players this year. Six, out of 22. That means there were 16 newbies. And they still went 11-1, with that one loss being due to one special teams play- in one of the harshest environments for a visiting team to compete, at Happy Valley.

I will not be convinced by anyone that they 'don't belong' in the top four of the CFP.

Two very weak losses the past two weeks makes me doubt them. But, yeah, one loss is one loss.

For Christ's sake, Penn State beat Ohio State head to head

Well, they won on a 4th quarter blocked field goal run back for a touchdown, a fluke play.

I like the controversy.

For Christ's sake, Penn State beat Ohio State head to head

Well, they won on a 4th quarter blocked field goal run back for a touchdown, a fluke play.

I like the controversy.

I like conference champions.

Absolute BULL SHIT that Ohio State is gonna be let into the playoffs without winning their division nor their conference championship. For Christ's sake, Penn State beat Ohio State head to head and are in the championship game.

This crap right here will result in more and more cupcakes being scheduled for non conference games. Penn State finally challenges Pitt, and loses, and they're gonna be punished for it.

Maybe,

Maybe not. I have always hated the way it was broken up in to different divisions with in the conference. You can argue that all day long. Go Bucks!! :D

• Like 1

Maybe,

Maybe not. I have always hated the way it was broken up in to different divisions with in the conference. You can argue that all day long. Go Bucks!! :D

Yeah, you can end up with a three-loss champion and a one-loss also ran. Of course, that can happen without divisions.

I'm not a fan of the conference championship games at all, actually. I'm old school.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Maybe,

Yeah, you can end up with a three-loss champion and a one-loss also ran. Of course, that can happen without divisions.

I'm not a fan of the conference championship games at all, actually. I'm old school.

Hey, I'm all for 12 conference games per season, no out of conference games at all, and determine the champion on the field of competition. But,

Since everyone is griping about an 8 team playoff, there is a de facto 8 team playoff with the conference championships.

We need to be careful that we don't lose the significance of the regular season, like in hoops.

And while I'm on my soapbox, can we please trim down the number of bowl games?

.500 and sub .500 teams should not be rewarded with bowls.

Really, IMHO, a team should have to win 8 games for a bowl.

Edited by Aikenrooster
  • Like 4

YES! Absolutely.

Cutting down on the field of eligible teams would also reduce the number of cheese-ball bowl games, too.

The Meineke Car Care Bowl?

The R&L Carriers Bowl?

Good gawd...

• Like 3

Wow, I thought the Badgers had Penn State for quite a while. Second half team for sure! Now, what does the college playoff committee do with the Lions?? I guess I have to stay tuned . . . .

Well........those Wisconsin Badgers sure picked the wrong time to have a defensive collapse!!

They made McSorley look like Tom Brady..... :facepalm: :facepalm:

• Like 1

Wow, I thought the Badgers had Penn State for quite a while. Second half team for sure! Now, what does the college playoff committee do with the Lions?? I guess I have to stay tuned . . . .

I was vhecking in during an Xmas party and...holy cow! Congrat's to #5 Penn State!
  • Like 1

YES! Absolutely.

Cutting down on the field of eligible teams would also reduce the number of cheese-ball bowl games, too.

The R&L Carriers Bowl?

Good gawd...

Instead of having all these toilet bowl games in January, expand to a 16 team playoff and play the first rounds in early December.

One loss two loss f--k that bulls--t. How about some love for champs of the MAC, the mighty 13-0 Western Michigan Broncos? Not like there going to win against 'Bama or Clemson, but damn, they're playing New Years Day.
  • Like 1

This Ohio State vs Michigan battle and controversy surrounding Barrett's fourth down conversion and Harbaugh's after game tirade, gave me a instant flash back as a kid . The 1973 game when the #1 Buckeyes and #4 Wolverines played to a 10-10 tie(no overtime then) Everyone thought Michigan dominated both sides of the ball but waiting on pins & needles for the Big Ten athletic directors to decide who was going to the Rose bowl January 1st.. Picked in favor of the Buckeyes made the breaking news across the state of Ohio . Me and my dad were jubilant national news news conference followed shortly with Wolverine head coach Bo Schembechler giving angry speech of disgust about the directors decision.. I guess it's true.."More things change the more they stay the same.." :P

Then there's the Suckeyes beating Miami in the Orange Bowl when they score after a 'Caines PI penalty that never happened.

Well........those Wisconsin Badgers sure picked the wrong time to have a defensive collapse!!

I really thought your Badgers had a win the first half- they looked great. Penn State has a weird second half thing going, but I'm thinking they are going to have to start being there for both halves!

• Like 1

But OSU was rewarded for scheduling Oklahoma on the road. May not have made the top 4 if they scheduled cupcakes like Washington did. So, the verdict is still out as to whether or not to schedule the Big 12 champion or go with Portland State. Could hurt/help. The only sure thing to do is to be in a power 5 and win out.

I really thought your Badgers had a win the first half- they looked great. Penn State has a weird second half thing going, but I'm thinking they are going to have to start being there for both halves!

The Badgers had the ball with a minute left in the 2nd quarter and all three time-outs. They showed no interest in trying to score. They got the ball to start the 3rd quarter, and they had to punt. That started the collapse. Penn State got the momentum and started rolling. No pass rush from the Badgers, and some really accurate deep balls by McSorley.

• Like 1

YES! Absolutely.

The R&L Carriers Bowl?

Good gawd...

Instead of having all these toilet bowl games in January, expand to a 16 team playoff and play the first rounds in early December.

That's a lot of games for kids to play, and it sort of becomes a championship of attrition.

Well, conference championships have been proven worthless, as has head-to-head competition on the field. This is obviously completely subjective and there is evidently no criteria in effect. It's obvious that Penn State is continuing to be punished for past transgressions.

Western Michigan also gets screwed, going undefeated, untied, and outright conference champion, but no playoff berth.

#nojusticenopeace

• Like 1

Well, conference championships have been proven worthless, as has head-to-head competition on the field. This is obviously completely subjective and there is evidently no criteria in effect. It's obvious that Penn State is continuing to be punished for past transgressions.

Western Michigan also gets screwed, going undefeated, untied, and outright conference champion, but no playoff berth.

#nojusticenopeace

Penn State is a two-loss team. They should win more. And Western Michigan doesn't have the schedule to be in the mix with the Big Boys. Blame the conference championship system that doesn't take non-conference into consideration. Edited by goose

This Ohio State vs Michigan battle and controversy surrounding Barrett's fourth down conversion and Harbaugh's after game tirade, gave me a instant flash back as a kid . The 1973 game when the #1 Buckeyes and #4 Wolverines played to a 10-10 tie(no overtime then) Everyone thought Michigan dominated both sides of the ball but waiting on pins & needles for the Big Ten athletic directors to decide who was going to the Rose bowl January 1st.. Picked in favor of the Buckeyes made the breaking news across the state of Ohio . Me and my dad were jubilant national news news conference followed shortly with Wolverine head coach Bo Schembechler giving angry speech of disgust about the directors decision.. I guess it's true.."More things change the more they stay the same.." :P

Then there's the Suckeyes beating Miami in the Orange Bowl when they score after a 'Caines PI penalty that never happened.

Obviously it did. :LOL:

• Like 1

#nojusticenopeace

Penn State is a two-loss team. They should win more. And Western Michigan doesn't have the schedule to be in the mix with the Big Boys. Blame the conference championship system that doesn't take non-conference into consideration.

A pretty good article o why Penn St. isn't in. (hint: one loss too many)

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/12/5/13842992/penn-state-big-12-college-football-playoff-2016

• Like 2