2016-17 College Football Thread

Congratulations to the Clemson Tigers and their fans. Dabo has truly built a consistent winner and he's done it the right way. They're mean on defense and unpredictable and fast on offense.

I wonder what it feels like to be a fan of a winning football program? Something I'll never know, it seems.

Governor Haley ordered the Clemson flag to be hoisted atop the state capitol in Columbia, a real dagger in our backs. But, they earned it.

Congratulations to the Clemson Tigers and their fans. Dabo has truly built a consistent winner and he's done it the right way.

Let's not start talking as if Dabo has established some football dynasty.

It will be interesting to see how they do next year without Deshaun Watson. For all anybody knows right now, they might fold into mediocrity. Time will tell.

Wow. Best game since Texas USC.

A lot of parallels between that year and that game with this one.

Back then, Pete Carrol's USC was considered to be the dominant dynasty ready to cement its place in history as one of the best ever. Texas and Vince Young had other thoughts about that, however, and beat the Trojans on the field in a thriller.

Vince simply refused to be denied the victory, as did Watson in the Clemson win.

Both quarterbacks had been in the runner up category for the Heisman, and both turned in truly outstanding performances to cap their college careers in those games, in a big f**k you to the Heisman committee, but neither one could have won those epic games without many good plays from other team members, offense and defense.

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert
  • Like 1

WHAT a finish !!! Clemson was so awesome!!

Fantastic game with a great finish!

Yes it was.

Congrats to the Tiggers for their National Championship.

As awesome a player as Deshaun Watson is and was in that game, it wasn't just him, but an all around team win. The Clemson receivers made some truly great catches, and the defense shut down Bama's not-so-great offense for long stretches of the game.

When Bama got up early 14-0, I was thinking the wheels were coming off for Clemson, and they were headed for a major embarrassment to end their season. But . . they got it together and pulled off the comeback.

That showed a lot of character...and listening to their coach's post-game comments, and can see where it comes from. What a class act.

I didn't stay up to listen to that.

It was late, and besides, as a Gamecock fan, I did not want to hear any victory speech from Dabo. ;)

I will say, however, that if Clemson had to win the National Championship, they picked about the best possible time to do it in my eyes -- stopping Saban and Bama from winning yet again and keeping Saban from tying Bear Bryant with the most National Championships. I really did not want to see that happen. So, again, good win, Clemson :)

• Like 2

WHAT a finish !!! Clemson was so awesome!!

Fantastic game with a great finish!

Yes it was.

Congrats to the Tiggers for their National Championship.

As awesome a player as Deshaun Watson is and was in that game, it wasn't just him, but an all around team win. The Clemson receivers made some truly great catches, and the defense shut down Bama's not-so-great offense for long stretches of the game.

When Bama got up early 14-0, I was thinking the wheels were coming off for Clemson, and they were headed for a major embarrassment to end their season. But . . they got it together and pulled off the comeback.

That showed a lot of character...and listening to their coach's post-game comments, and can see where it comes from. What a class act.

I didn't stay up to listen to that.

It was late, and besides, as a Gamecock fan, I did not want to hear any victory speech from Dabo. ;)

I will say, however, that if Clemson had to win the National Championship, they picked about the best possible time to do it in my eyes -- stopping Saban and Bama from winning yet again and keeping Saban from tying Bear Bryant with the most National Championships. I really did not want to see that happen. So, again, good win, Clemson :)

Yeah, that's along the lines of what I was telling people prior to the game. "Gees, SOMEBODY needs to stop Alabama, it might as well be a team from SC". The older I get the less I hate them, although I'll never like them.

I can say that I got to see the national champions play in person, this season.

I just like the way Dabo did it: he's convinced his players that they're brothers and they go out and lay it all on the line for one another. I guess baptizing players at practice paid off.

I missed the game. Sounds like it was a nail biter. !

Oh it was. You couldn't ask for a more dramatic finish than that game had. Clemson takes the lead for the first time in the game with about 4 minutes left. Bama goes back ahead with about 2 minutes left. Then . . Clemson's final drive -- a real WE WILL NOT BE DENIED performance -- to score the winning touchdown with one second left- truly epic.

I'm assuming you got snow over the weekend, up in your part of the woods? There was still snow on the ground when I was in Greenville Tuesday.

Oh yeah.

Got 4+ inches of beautiful snow late Friday night/early Saturday morning at my place. It hardly melted at all in most places until Tuesday, the temps were so cold on Sat, Sun, and Mon.

You could see some pics of snow draped Pumpkin Lane I took on Saturday if you had a Facebook account ;)

I'm assuming you got snow over the weekend, up in your part of the woods? There was still snow on the ground when I was in Greenville Tuesday.

Oh yeah.

Got 4+ inches of beautiful snow late Friday night/early Saturday morning at my place. It hardly melted at all in most places until Tuesday, the temps were so cold on Sat, Sun, and Mon.

You could see some pics of snow draped Pumpkin Lane I took on Saturday if you had a Facebook account ;)

I saw those. Beautiful!
  • Like 1