Why does everyone hate Phil Collins so much?

fraroc

Here's a question for everyone..do you think a Phil Collins would have the success today he did back then? With the media exposure and people's obsession with looks and image etc..the likes of Phil Collins probably wouldn't translate too well with today's social media obsessed generation IMO

Not unless phil could Tweark Dab or Nae Nae.

Mick

His work with Genisis up to the "Mama" release was awesome. His early solo work was pretty good. Then he want full on pop, and that stuff is complete shit. You really want to hear something gut wrenching? Listen to his contributions to the "Tarzan" sound track. :banghead: It's beyond bad. Hard to believe someone who helped create a masterpiece like Trick of the Tail could make something so horrible. :LOL:
  • Like 1

That still doesn't make that statement any less dumb.

i should be allowed to shit on music i wasn't alive for is the most ignorant thing I've ever subjected my brain to. i know you listened to phil.....but the ignorance in that statement is like the nirvana of ignorance and stupidity.

Mick

That's actually not what I was trying to say at all. In that post, the point I was trying to make was about people just deciding to just say that something sucks based on other's opinions without taking the time to listen to it and formulate their own opinion.

I think I do get what you're saying, especially in the original context of your statement. While not referring to yourself specifically, you meant to say that it's much more common for people who were not around to experience certain music firsthand are much more likely to be extremely dismissive of it and to hate on it than those who were there for it? Is that correct?

Okay, so who are these "everyone" of whom you speak?

According to this thread: a minority. And the majority of the minority apparently used to enjoy him until he was overplayed, then they eventually got sick of him.

It's a clickbait thread - fraroc is good at these.

Then explain to me why the minute Phil Collins decided to make music again, a petition was made to get him to re-retire?

It's just a fact, Phil Collins is so unfairly hated by most people.

Do you like Phil Collins a lot, or are you trying to justify your personal observation that many people hate him?

I do actually agree with you somewhat. From my own limited experiences, Phil is treated a bit unkindly by many music fans and often accused of selling out. But I wouldn't say that's most people. Heck, most people don't even know who Phil Collins is because times have changed and not near as many people pay much attention to their parents music as some of us would like to see. The truth is Phil decided to do his own thing outside of Genesis that became hugely successful in the 80s and early 90s, and certain groups of people either disliked his overexposure, disliked his much simpler and more mainstream pop music, disliked his voice, or any combination of the three. But his time in the spotlight came to an end and maybe even the majority of those people probably stopped caring because they had moved on. I can't tell from experience, because I was born after all of that, but I can tell from research and discussion that that is closer to the full story than simply assuming he was and still is almost universally hated. It's like saying everyone hates Coldplay even though they have industry and critical respect as well as tons and tons of fans and two or three times as many people who just enjoy their music when it comes on the radio or at a party. They may have a stigma, but they aren't universally hated, same goes for PC.

Sorry for the rant, my line of thought got a little out of hand. I will ask again though, do you like Phil Collins a lot, or are you trying to justify your personal observation that many people hate him? Or is there some other reason for your posts in this thread?

I just wanted to ask a question about the issue. The few Phil Collins 80s songs I listened to I actually really enjoyed, though.

Okay, that makes perfect sense! Just investigating others opinions on an artist who is often hated upon by many people. You'll probably get a lot less flac from other members here if you write all of your posts this precise and chill.

I don't care for some of his really poppy stuff .... but I myself find that when he sings an I've loved and lost type tune ... it's completely believable .. it cuts ... I have shed a few tears to against all odds in the past

I also recently heard him sing super's ready on a live G album and it was probably only second to PG himself .. very very good

I could never hate him .. really ever

Edited by Amps211
  • Like 3

Phil Collins solo makes safe,catchy radio friendly songs.He gets flogged on radio and there is a lot of people who listen to the radio.My wife loves Phil Collins and she's a radio person.If something like Natural Science came on the radio she would freak because it would be out of her comfort zone.I have worked in places where a radio is blaring out One More Night and people are silently singing along packing boxes etc.Myself,I just turn a deaf and start singing 'a quantum leap forward'.Phil serves a purpose I suppose.

i should be allowed to shit on music i wasn't alive for is the most ignorant thing I've ever subjected my brain to. i know you listened to phil.....but the ignorance in that statement is like the nirvana of ignorance and stupidity.

Mick

That's actually not what I was trying to say at all. In that post, the point I was trying to make was about people just deciding to just say that something sucks based on other's opinions without taking the time to listen to it and formulate their own opinion.

I think I do get what you're saying, especially in the original context of your statement. While not referring to yourself specifically, you meant to say that it's much more common for people who were not around to experience certain music firsthand are much more likely to be extremely dismissive of it and to hate on it than those who were there for it? Is that correct?

Exactly. The point was about people knocking things before they try it.

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 3

Mick

"Stupidity has a certain charm. Ignorance does not"

Frank Zappa

• Like 2

I swear Fraroc.

do you like sit in your room at night and go.

"let's see.....i've be way to silent lately i need a thread.......remember in order for me to get noticed they must be SWEEPING generalizations.

got to think.....come on Fraroc. what artist haven't i made a generalization about.......Geddy nope done to death......i can't do neil. Every one KNOWS i hate that Fukker.

A....B......C.......D......"Later" AH!!! P!!!!!! phil Collins. m it'll get views!!!!!!"

Mick

Have I ever told you that I love you?

Lol

• Like 1

Mick

Oh yeah the thing I said about Coldplay? I meant it.

Mick

So instead of saying that you said you should be the most likely person to shit on music from a time you weren't around in. Yeah sure, that isn't f***ed up at all.

• Like 1

Mick

So instead of saying that you said you should be the most likely person to shit on music from a time you weren't around in. Yeah sure, that isn't f***ed up at all.

Unfortunatley, it can happen to anyone who doesn't inform themselves and give said music a chance. The fact that I am much younger than most of you guys and thus didn't grow up listening to music like Phil Collins doesn't necessarily make any less likely for said thing to happen.

I could have just been a bandwagon jumper, but I made the conscious effort to listen to some of his songs and found myself liking them.

Mick

Unfortunatley, it can happen to anyone who doesn't inform themselves and give said music a chance. The fact that I am much younger than most of you guys and thus didn't grow up listening to music like Phil Collins doesn't necessarily make any less likely for said thing to happen.

I could have just been a bandwagon jumper, but I made the conscious effort to listen to some of his songs and found myself liking them.

It's not really a matter of growing up hearing a particular music. What I think DOES matter is hearing music when it was first created/released. There is a difference. Music always reflects the times in which it was created, whether the artist intends it or not, it happens. For example, I wouldn't have the same appreciation or feeling about music created in the 50's because I wasn't alive then. But people who were and heard it day in and day out over years and years when it was relevant to the times can develop a different opinion about it.

• Like 2

Ok everybody..

Couples only now.. Time to slow it down a bit..

You need to take out the "s" after http and the "m" after the // to make the link work here. Like this:

• Like 1

I swear Fraroc.

do you like sit in your room at night and go.

"let's see.....i've be way to silent lately i need a thread.......remember in order for me to get noticed they must be SWEEPING generalizations.

got to think.....come on Fraroc. what artist haven't i made a generalization about.......Geddy nope done to death......i can't do neil. Every one KNOWS i hate that Fukker.

A....B......C.......D......"Later" AH!!! P!!!!!! phil Collins. m it'll get views!!!!!!"

Mick

Have I ever told you that I love you?

Lol

right back at ya bud.

Mick

Here is another question..what's worse.. Solo Phil.. Or.. Those Genesis albums where they abandoned all of their 70s stylings?

Oh boy... loaded question. I'd rather have contributions from all three of the guys, to be honest... That said, there's much to like on Phil's first 4 albums.

Here is another question..what's worse.. Solo Phil.. Or.. Those Genesis albums where they abandoned all of their 70s stylings?

Oh boy... loaded question. I'd rather have contributions from all three of the guys, to be honest... That said, there's much to like on Phil's first 4 albums.

You mean 3. ;)

• Like 1

You mean 3. ;)

you mean 2.

lol ;) :P

Mick