TRF TRULY ranks Moving Pictures' tracks

JohnnyBlaze

Up to this point I've got things tallied and charted out but I haven't calculated any averages. I don't want to reveal any exact numbers since it might influence those who haven't ranked yet...BUT I'll say this much:

- There've been 44 rankings given.

- EVERY song has been ranked (at least once) in EVERY position.

- Two songs have got the same number of #1 rankings.

- Two songs have got the same number of #7 rankings.

Looking at my chart, it looks like a tight race! :blaze:

Interesting.

:hail:

• Like 1

Witch Hunt in last place.

Oh well, something has to bring up the rear.

.. sounds like a good title for Neil's next blog entry

:LOL:

Due to the way averages work, just because a song has the most entries in whatever ranking does NOT mean they'd finally wind up in that actual position.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Okay, sure, I'll play...

The Camera Eye

Red Barchetta

Witch Hunt

YYZ

Vital Signs

Limelight

Tom Sawyer

TCE and RB are tied, in my book. And I'm not sure about VS vs. Limelight, but I put VS first since so many other people put it last :D

• Like 1

Not bad for a middle of the pack Rush album.Lots of very good songs, nothing tremendous or earth shattering ;) but whatya expect a 70s fan to say!

1. The Camera Eye

2. Red Barchetta

3. Limelight

4. YYZ

5. Witch Hunt

6. Tom Sawyer

7. Vital Signs

Well folks, the TRUE TRF rankings for Moving Pictures' tunes have been tallied and calculated. 46 of you have ranked so thanks for that. I think it's a respectable sample and gives a good idea of what we generally think. So here's where the songs fall. Their calculated ranking average is in parentheses along with a few other stats below that.

1) Red Barchetta (2.6739)

2) Limelight (2.9782)

3) YYZ (3.7391)

4) Tom Sawyer (4.0869)

5) The Camera Eye (4.2173)

6) Witch Hunt (5.1086)

7) Vital Signs (5.5434)

As I said in a previous post, every song was ranked in every position at least once but here are a few other stats...

Number of #1 rankings per tune...

RB: 12

Lime: 12

YYZ: 4

Tom: 4

TCE: 9!!!!...but it still placed only 5th due to the number of #5-#7 rankings it got. Tom just beat out TCE because of the volume of #3-#5 rankings that IT got.

WH: 2

VS: 3

Number of #7 rankings per tune...

RB: 2

Lime: 1

YYZ: 3

Tom: 3

TCE: 6

WH: 15!

VS: 16!!!

Red Barchetta has assumed control...

http://www.kaliteliresimler.com/data/media/422/Ferrari-550Barchetta.jpg

:blaze:

• Like 10

Oh Johnny how are you tabulating the scores?

1. 10pts

2. 9pts

3. 8pts

Etc

No points. I'm going to take the average of the positions. The one with the lowest average would naturally be the #1 song. And all the way down the line.

Even the "weakest" song won't have a "7" average (since all of us aren't picking the same song as #7). I'm guessing whatever it is, it'll have a 5.178493654 something average. These final rankings will have to be looked at in the decimal points. You get the point. Even the #1 song will probably have a score of 3.428405 average or whatever (since our #1 picks have been all over the place). I imagine songs will likely be clustered in the 3-5 point range. I'll include all that stuff in the final tally.

Digital Dad, looks like my prediction was pretty much on. They WERE clustered with #1 Red Barchetta at 2.6739 and #7 Vital Signs at 5.5434.

• Like 1

Awesome compilation of stats ! Thanks so much, JB! Very interesting. Who knew that TCE was such a favorite, especially compared with Tom Sawyer? (I know that I have felt that way for years- I love TCE, Tom Sawyer not so much, but I didn't know that others liked it as a favorite on the album as well.) Very cool- thanks again! Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

Awesome compilation of stats ! Thanks so much, JB! Very interesting. Who knew that TCE was such a favorite, especially compared with Tom Sawyer? (I know that I have felt that way for years- I love TCE, Tom Sawyer not so much, but I didn't know that others liked it as a favorite on the album as well.) Very cool- thanks again!

You are very welcome blueschica! :)

Yeah, nine #1 votes for TCE surprised me too.

But here's another that shows why Tom was better loved overall....Tom got three #2 rankings and ELEVEN #3 rankings while TCE got two #2 rankings and just THREE #3 rankings.

• Like 1

Yeah awesome stuff JB, as far as TCE from the very beginning upon hearing this album that song was the one reason I'd come back to listen to over and over. Love that song it's tied with LVS as my #1 song. This has been a great thread on a great album to break down.....I should suggest kind of thing on the Pearl Jam site for their near perfect album 10.
  • Like 1

Yeah awesome stuff JB, as far as TCE from the very beginning upon hearing this album that song was the one reason I'd come back to listen to over and over. Love that song it's tied with LVS as my #1 song. This has been a great thread on a great album to break down.....I should suggest kind of thing on the Pearl Jam site for their near perfect album 10.

Tom, RB, YYZ, Lime, and TCE all could've been my #1 song off Moving Pictures. All of them actually were my #1 at some point

Bravo JB, great work !!

When do we move on to Permanent Waves ?

:D

I'm not touching Permanent Waves because you assholes won't shut up about whether it's a 70s or 80s album! :LOL: ;)

Someone else can do the other albums. Basically, I just wanted to show that a REAL way to rank CAN be done for certain things.

• Like 2

Bravo JB, great work !!

When do we move on to Permanent Waves ?

:D

I'm not touching Permanent Waves because you assholes won't shut up about whether it's a 70s or 80s album! :LOL: ;)

Someone else can do the other albums. Basically, I just wanted to show that a REAL way to rank CAN be done for certain things.

I actually went ahead and posted one for Permanent Waves. I know it seems hasty, but it might be my all-time favorite Rush album and I felt like putting it up.

By the way, terrific job with these Moving Pictures rankings.

• Like 3

Oh Johnny how are you tabulating the scores?

1. 10pts

2. 9pts

3. 8pts

Etc

No points. I'm going to take the average of the positions. The one with the lowest average would naturally be the #1 song. And all the way down the line.

Even the "weakest" song won't have a "7" average (since all of us aren't picking the same song as #7). I'm guessing whatever it is, it'll have a 5.178493654 something average. These final rankings will have to be looked at in the decimal points. You get the point. Even the #1 song will probably have a score of 3.428405 average or whatever (since our #1 picks have been all over the place). I imagine songs will likely be clustered in the 3-5 point range. I'll include all that stuff in the final tally.

Digital Dad, looks like my prediction was pretty much on. They WERE clustered with #1 Red Barchetta at 2.6739 and #7 Vital Signs at 5.5434.

Math. OWWWW

ha

• Like 1