Can you recommend some types of wine?

Signals1982

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends.

I am a red wine fan, myself. I usually go with a nice Merlot or Cabernet. I have a 20 year old bottle of Chianti I am looking at right now. Don't know if I'll ever open it.

I used to be a big fan of a good German Reisling. Pretty sweet, though.

Tell me what you like and I can help you out, I have a good knowledge base after working in fine dining for many years.

QUOTE (Riv @ Sep 7 2005, 06:33 PM)
QUOTE (Signals1982 @ Sep 8 2005, 02:32 AM)
Thanks Riv.

I have to say my fave is probably White. But not dry. Sweet but not too sweet.

Perfect, try Sauvignon Blanc

Thanks Again!

QUOTE (daveyt @ Sep 7 2005, 06:40 PM)
wacko.gif SAV BLANC IS BONE DRY!

get a french chardonnay yes.gif joseph drouhin wines are an outstanding buy and are widely available at specialty stores (if that makes sense)

Thanks for the info.

QUOTE (daveyt @ Sep 8 2005, 02:40 AM)
wacko.gif SAV BLANC IS BONE DRY!

get a french chardonnay yes.gif joseph drouhin wines are an outstanding buy and are widely available at specialty stores (if that makes sense)

Nu-uh, it's a sweet wine. You can see the sugar crystals in it.

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Sep 7 2005, 06:43 PM)
wacko.gif  SAV BLANC IS BONE DRY!

Panty remover cat.gif

i'm looking at a pair right now! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Riv @ Sep 7 2005, 06:46 PM)
QUOTE (daveyt @ Sep 8 2005, 02:40 AM)

Nu-uh, it's a sweet wine. You can see the sugar crystals in it.

hey RIV:

lick my sugar crystals yes.gif wink.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

bolt.gif

QUOTE (daveyt @ Sep 7 2005, 09:32 PM)
QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Sep 7 2005, 06:43 PM)

Panty remover cat.gif

i'm looking at a pair right now! laugh.gif

Go get her, brother cat.gif

Edited by spirit of radio

No, if anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any f***ing Merlot!

"Pinot is a hard grape to grow. ... It's thin-skinned, temperamental, ripens early. ... Pinot needs constant care and attention and in fact can only grow in specific little tucked-away corners of the world. And only the most patient and nurturing growers can do it, really, tap into Pinot's most fragile, delicate qualities. Only when someone has taken the time to truly understand its potential can Pinot be coaxed into its fullest expression. And when that happens, its flavors are the most haunting and brilliant and subtle and thrilling and ancient on the planet."

laugh.gif

Sideways, anyone?

Edited by anagramking

QUOTE (anagramking @ Sep 16 2005, 02:36 PM)
No, if anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any f***ing Merlot!

"Pinot is a hard grape to grow. ... It's thin-skinned, temperamental, ripens early. ... Pinot needs constant care and attention and in fact can only grow in specific little tucked-away corners of the world. And only the most patient and nurturing growers can do it, really, tap into Pinot's most fragile, delicate qualities. Only when someone has taken the time to truly understand its potential can Pinot be coaxed into its fullest expression. And when that happens, its flavors are the most haunting and brilliant and subtle and thrilling and ancient on the planet."

laugh.gif

Sideways, anyone?

That's beautiful. Makes me want to slam back some tequila. 1022.gif

I dont care much for wine,

We have these killer wineries here on Long Island,

the one wine that i do enjoy is from a LI winery called Pindar

http://www.pindar.net/index.html

theres a link ..the wine that I like is called Summer Blush

Light & Refreshing.

Im sure U can find Long Island wines in other states

check em out if u have a chance wink.gif

QUOTE (Signals1982 @ Sep 7 2005, 04:50 PM)
I just started getting into wine. I was wondering if anyone has any favourites that they can recommend.

There are so many wines I scarcely know where to begin in answer to this question.

I'm probably not the person to ask, anyway, for the very reason that I like pretty much every type of wine. Each is good in different ways.

My advice to you is simply to try a wide variety of different sorts, and see what you like best.

U can also go to a winery and taste test any or all of the wines they have to offer. And usualy its free to go to those taste testing wink.gif

I'd agree with the suggestion on the Sauvignon Blanc for a white. There tends to be ( in my opinion ) two different styles of SB. One has more grassy or herbaceous characteristics which tend to be dryer in style. I find this style in more of the imported Sauvignon Blancs, for instance Australia or new Zealand. The other style had more of a fruit forward style with flavors of melon and citrus. Domestic Sauvignon Blancs seem to be more like this. One of the best is from St. Supery. Their Napa Sauv Blanc is killer! You may also try a Fume Blanc which is going to be along the same lines. Basically the same grape but oak-aged which makes smoother and bit more full bodied. Mondavi makes the most popular one. Just some ideas for you.

I know I didn't start this thread, but I'd still like to thank everyone who has posted in it. I have learned a lot.