Almost Famous

edhunter

Here's your chance to name drop about your brushes with celebrity. If you haven't met anybody go ahead and make something up! I'll start…

Overall biggest celebrity: Ty Burrell from Modern Family. I was his pest control guy for a year when I lived in Salt Lake City. I had never seen the show so I didn't know who he was. Super nice guy.

Sports: Charles Barkley (a-hole) pUtah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan, and I went to high school with Toronto Blue Jays pitching coach Pete Walker.

Musicians: my old band opened for Steppenwolf, BTO, Peter Frampton, Stephen Stills, Creedence Clearwater Revisited, Bad Company and 38 Special. 38 Special's bass player, Larry Junstrom used my amp because he fried his own during the soundcheck. They were super nice as well, and Invited me in to the breakfast tent with them.

Geddy, Rik Emmett, at shows. Victor Wooten many times at shows.

Carmen Electra and Corey Feldman got onstage with us and sang 2 songs. The singer for Weezer was in a college class of mine and the bassist for Panic at the Disco lived in my apartment complex up until he joined them.

He's not exactly famous, but I grew up with Southern California radio DJ Sean Valentine (real last name O'Keeffe).

My biggest near miss was Iron Maiden in '96 with Blaze. After their show, I took my date to a club we always played at nearby for about a half hour. The manager told me a week or so later that the whole band came in a few minutes after I left. That really sucked.

• Like 1

Here's your chance to name drop about your brushes with celebrity. If you haven't met anybody go ahead and make something up! I'll start…

Overall biggest celebrity: Ty Burrell from Modern Family. I was his pest control guy for a year when I lived in Salt Lake City. I had never seen the show so I didn't know who he was. Super nice guy.

Sports: Charles Barkley (a-hole) pUtah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan, and I went to high school with Toronto Blue Jays pitching coach Pete Walker.

Musicians: my old band opened for Steppenwolf, BTO, Peter Frampton, Stephen Stills, Creedence Clearwater Revisited, Bad Company and 38 Special. 38 Special's bass player, Larry Junstrom used my amp because he fried his own during the soundcheck. They were super nice as well, and Invited me in to the breakfast tent with them.

Geddy, Rik Emmett, at shows. Victor Wooten many times at shows.

Carmen Electra and Corey Feldman got onstage with us and sang 2 songs. The singer for Weezer was in a college class of mine and the bassist for Panic at the Disco lived in my apartment complex up until he joined them.

He's not exactly famous, but I grew up with Southern California radio DJ Sean Valentine (real last name O'Keeffe).

My biggest near miss was Iron Maiden in '96 with Blaze. After their show, I took my date to a club we always played at nearby for about a half hour. The manager told me a week or so later that the whole band came in a few minutes after I left. That really sucked.

That's quite an impressive track record.

I am related to Colonel Harlan Sanders, the creator of the KFC restaurants. Mother's maiden name, Sanders, born in southern Indiana, and Sanders researchers have made the link.....do I gat any COUPONS EVEN? NO! lol
  • Like 1

I am related to Colonel Harlan Sanders, the creator of the KFC restaurants. Mother's maiden name, Sanders, born in southern Indiana, and Sanders researchers have made the link.....do I gat any COUPONS EVEN? NO! lol

Trivia quiz ORF. In what city will you find the world's FIRST KFC?

• Like 1

People I have met:

Authors: Stephen King, Margaret Atwood, Chuck Palahniuk, Lawrence Hill, Scott Turow, Emily Giffin, Terry Brooks, Tanya Huff

Actors: Carrie Fisher, William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Tom Felton, Jason Isaacs, Misha Collins, Eliza Dushku, Robin Lord Taylor

Musicians: Jon Foreman (Switchfoot), Jann Arden, Ann Murray

Athletes: Kyle Shewfelt (gymnast), Brandon Boudreaux (CFL)

Public Figures: Prince William, Justin Trudeau, Stephen Harper, Peter Lougheed

I stood against a wall and watched Fish pickle himself with a bottle of Jack Daniels. His awesome presence shattered my courage and forebade any approach. Not just me, either. There was a "don't f**k with Fish while he's drinking vibe" after that show. I like to steer clear of huge drunk people. When I was a lad, I got an autograph from Andre the Giant after a show during which he demolished 7 "wrestlers of small stature." I've had conversations about guitars and recording with Jay Semko from the Northern Pikes (anyone remember them?). I took a pee beside the lead singer from Hothouse Flowers (anybody remember them?), but I find that's usually an awkward situation to try to introduce yourself, so . . .

Pretty weak track record with famous people.

Salt Lake City. Drove by it once.

Winner. Utah fried chicken wouldn't have the same ring to it...

Also in Islington, London, England there is a Mississippi Fried Chicken.

Also in Islington, London, England there is a Mississippi Fried Chicken.

JUST as names, I think these would be passable:

- Georgia Fried Chicken

- Carolina Chicken (has a better ring to it than "Carolina Fried Chicken)

- Alabama (or 'Bama) Fried Chicken

Personally, I prefer the Popeye's chain.

I'd have to google it.......'cause that info is NOT important to myself at this time. ;) :huh: Thanks for asking, though!

Harlan's first restaurant was his own stand, in Corben, Ky. but the world's first FRANCHISE was built in Salt Lake City, Utah....
  • Like 2

Harlan's first restaurant was his own stand, in Corben, Ky. but the world's first FRANCHISE was built in Salt Lake City, Utah....

OK, that makes sense, I didn't understand the Salt Lake part earlier. My dad is the ultimate KFC fan and in my parents' house there is a photo of the entire family in front of the first KFC restaurant, somewhere (I guess, Corbin,) in Kentucky. My Dad drove us pretty far off course on a vacation trip to get a family photo in front of his cherished favorite! :D :D

• Like 1

Met Steve Harris twice in Germany.It was 1980 and Maiden were supporting Kiss.

Before the gig, I spotted him in the foyer, and asked him why there was no Maiden

merchandise?. "It arrives tomorrow mate sorry about that"

Next day was in Hamburg. Now in those days,there were always tickets held back

for sale "On the day". I joined the huge queue in hope more than expectation, but minutes later, a kiosk opened,

right were we were standing, and I bought tickets before pandemonium broke out.

Inside, I made my way to the merchandise stall, and there was Steve again.

"What the f#ck are you doing here?" He laughed.

• Like 3

Rob Lowe's father was my dad's divorce lawyer, back about 1980. Also, Martin Sheen's brother, Frank Estevez, was my civics teacher when I was in high school.

I've been friends (not just met, but developed in-person friendship and correspondence) with both Jamiroquai (Jay Kay, Stuart Zender, and Derrick MacKenzie- in 1995) and Guided By Voices (Bob Pollard, Mitch Mitchell, and Kevin Fennell- in 1996).

I almost ran right over Jeannine Garofalo at the airport in Detroit, in 2000. It was totally by accident, and we both apologized to each other. :P She's a tiny little person, about 5'2".

Then there are a couple of family members- so I don't know if this counts as 'almost', or what- but a cousin of mine was an Indycar, stock car, and unlimited hydroplane racer...he was the victim of one of the worst crashes in Indy 500 history, in 1973:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Walther

And my great-grandfather, on my father's mother's side, literally invented the wheel...in a way:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Walther_Sr.

Edited by Blue J

Once went on a "club crawl" with Fish.

Around 1984,and he stumbled drunk into my local club (The Hyde Park)

He had been playing the Shuttorf Festival that day and had then driven 2 hrs to come to the club.

I spotted him immediately (You can hardly miss him) and approached him. Great guy, who was

obviously relieved to find a fellow Scot, as he had come on his own. He was great with me, but slagged off every other act that had played on the bill

earlier that day.

Once turfed out at 3 a.m, he demanded I took him somewhere else. So off it was to "Exile" which

did not close till 7.

Of course, despite being "A Big Fatty" he was famous, so he left me eventually and staggered off into the morning

with the regulation "Blonde Bombshell" on his arm.

Oh to be a Rock Star.