Early in their career, when asked about their band's name, they replied, "Well, when we applied to the Official Rock & Roll Band Registry for a name, we learned that there were only two names available - Garbage and Hootie & The Blowfish....."

:laughing guy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

Garbage is from your neck of the woods.

Yep...I saw the second live gig they ever played, at the Cabaret Metro, in Chicago- November of '95. The first was in Madison, WI, because that's where Butch Vig was living at the time, I think.

Yes. Butch is from Wisconsin. The other two guys from Garbage have been in Madison for at least 30 years, playing with Butch in bands like Spooner and Fire Town.

The Cabaret Metro brings back memories. I saw Bob Mould their back in the early 90s. There was a bar downstairs from the Metro, called "the Smart Bar". Spent a few evenings tying one on there. :LOL:

I wonder if you and I were making the rounds there at about the same time...I lived in Indianapolis at the time, and I went up there for shows at the Metro at least three or four different times from the spring to fall of '95.

Early in their career, when asked about their band's name, they replied, "Well, when we applied to the Official Rock & Roll Band Registry for a name, we learned that there were only two names available - Garbage and Hootie & The Blowfish....."

:laughing guy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

Garbage is from your neck of the woods.

Yep...I saw the second live gig they ever played, at the Cabaret Metro, in Chicago- November of '95. The first was in Madison, WI, because that's where Butch Vig was living at the time, I think.

Yes. Butch is from Wisconsin. The other two guys from Garbage have been in Madison for at least 30 years, playing with Butch in bands like Spooner and Fire Town.

The Cabaret Metro brings back memories. I saw Bob Mould their back in the early 90s. There was a bar downstairs from the Metro, called "the Smart Bar". Spent a few evenings tying one on there. :LOL:

I wonder if you and I were making the rounds there at about the same time...I lived in Indianapolis at the time, and I went up there for shows at the Metro at least three or four different times from the spring to fall of '95.

It's very possible. :eh:

They don't do anything for me, but I always appreciate a band who stick around and keep going!

Pleased to see fans still enjoy them, and it would be nice to see the new album go down well.

I appreciate:

* First album + B-sides: Subhuman, Girl Don't Come, Butterfly Collector and #1 Crush;

* Version 2.0 tracks: Temptations Waits, I Think I'm Paranoid, Medication, Special, Push It, The Trick Is To Keep Breathing, Dumb and You Look So Fine + B-sides: Thirteen (Big Star cover), Deadwood (it should have been included on the official album, it's very good), 13 X Forever;

* Beautiful Garbage tracks: Androginy, Can't Cry These Tears, Silence is Golden, Breaking Up The Girl, Nobody Loves You;

* Bleed Like Me: the whole album + the bonus track Honeybee;

* Not Your Kind of People: Big Bright World, Blood for Poppies, Felt, Battle In Me, Beloved Freak and the title track. Of course I go for the b-sides: The One, What Girls Are Made Of and Love Like Suicide.

** I just heard new album's release track Empty at their channel. And I love it!! :D

• Like 1

Rhyv it makes me happy that you listen to Garbage!! :wub:

Garbage posted another new video. Even Though Our Love Is Doomed. Absolutely wonderful track; slow, suspenseful, beautiful. I think it's more powerful than Empty, and I loved Empty. This album release is seriously exciting!

• Like 1

IMO her vocal tone's actually gotten stronger with time. I like her voice more now than in their earlier material, and she sounds better live in 2005 and onwards (especially 2012 and onwards) than before.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lpcdAR9ij0

IMO her vocal tone's actually gotten stronger with time. I like her voice more now than in their earlier material, and she sounds better live in 2005 and onwards (especially 2012 and onwards) than before.

Shirley's always speaking. I appreciate the different ways she sings, her vocal range developed on last years, I agree.

Contraltos usually are underrated and she proves what a contralto can do on stage or out of it.

Her voice is unique compared to other female voices on rock 'n roll scene.

As for this song, is a a typical Garbage ballad. It is on their style yet. I'm curious about this album.

I discovered recently another bonus track called Nobody Can Win, which is awesome Garbage too.

• Like 1

I really like the new stuff
  • Like 2

Metallica did an awesome acoustic cover of 'Only Happy When It Rains' . Google 'Bridge School Benefit'

I want to know Day Of Lights verdict...did you enjoy it?
  • Like 1

Finally got my hands on it; it's soft and mellow. Dark and romantic but still playful. I love it! Needs more replays.

New album is lame. Nothing of substance. Slow dreary songs. Everyone should and will pass or delete it after a few listens. It's pure garbage

Aw, I think it's one of their strongest albums!

Finally got my hands on it; it's soft and mellow. Dark and romantic but still playful. I love it! Needs more replays.

I am so glad! Nothing better than being satisfied by the new release from a band you love.

I must admit I am not at all a fan of this band but I actually really like what I have heard so far.

They need a revisit!

• Like 1

I am so glad! Nothing better than being satisfied by the new release from a band you love.

I must admit I am not at all a fan of this band but I actually really like what I have heard so far.

They need a revisit!

It's different from their other stuff. I think it's better.

They need a revisit!

It's different from their other stuff. I think it's better.

Ok! I will start here and then see what happens!

2016 is a quiet year for music so far. I could do with new stuff!

• Like 1

Night Drive Loneliness is a favorite!

I like their music/lyric video, honestly.

The band is still alternative. After alternative becoming mainstream (2001-2008) and the last trend was goth/80's related they went in a different direction and then stopped. Their break was needed, many health and personal troubles to conceal with media and lots of pressure to be among the first ones.

"Alternative" still was a trend bewteen 2009-2013. They came back among these years and had another drive again.

I personally believe Garbage don't fit in a model considered alternative.

They change everytime something shows up. Don't want to belong in a label.

Edited by rhyv

I have their first 2 albums. I haven't seen them live because they don't tour here, like most other good bands. LOL :)
  • Like 1