Alex Reflects on 2112

Powderfinger

A fun read, if nothing particularly new.

That damn Panama hat :LOL:

Yeah in a recent interview Geddy said something about how he liked the hat and that it was Alex's idea to wear it. :LOL:

• Like 1

Alex reflects on COS: It was not a miss.

So, for all you folks that think that Rush regrets making COS: :tsk:

I can't help but to give COS all the love COS deserves. Nothing like the fretwork on Necromancer and Lamneth, which was the most honest (not saying it's the best) thing ever written. It's that attitude of not going with what the label wants. Not going with the bullshit 4 minute songs to get commercial gain. It was this experiment that lead to 2112. While I prefer Lamneth to 2112, I understand that 2112 gained a fanbase that allowed the triumverate to make their most recognizable tunes.

I'd still rather listen to Lamneth and Necromancer than anything else. La Villa Strangiato has an argument here.

• Like 4

I can't help but to give COS all the love COS deserves. Nothing like the fretwork on Necromancer and Lamneth, which was the most honest (not saying it's the best) thing ever written. It's that attitude of not going with what the label wants. Not going with the bullshit 4 minute songs to get commercial gain. It was this experiment that lead to 2112. While I prefer Lamneth to 2112, I understand that 2112 gained a fanbase that allowed the triumverate to make their most recognizable tunes.

I'd still rather listen to Lamneth and Necromancer than anything else. La Villa Strangiato has an argument here.

I don't think anyone believes they regret making CoS. They've said repeatedly that they believed in it totally when they released it.

• Like 2

I don't think anyone believes they regret making CoS. They've said repeatedly that they believed in it totally when they released it.

The vast majority on TRF believe that also, but you always see that haters chime in and claim (in their minds only) that the band thinks the album was a mistake. Being the worlds biggest COS fan, I personally get offended (I know I need to get tougher skin) from all of the COS attacks and some of those make the bogus claims that the boys regret the album (without one credible point of evidence to the contrary other than that they were disappointed in the commercial success).

Edited by apetersvt

The vast majority on TRF believe that also, but you always see that haters chime in and claim (in their minds only) that the band thinks the album was a mistake. Being the worlds biggest COS fan, I personally get offended (I know I need to get tougher skin) from all of the COS attacks and some of those make the bogus claims that the boys regret the album (without one credible point of evidence to the contrary other than that they were disappointed in the commercial success).

CoS is such a critical album in their development. It features two of their best early short songs, Bastille and LP, and two excellent long songs. I recall opening nite in Tulsa, TRF was bursting at its seams, when they played LP. I never fully understood Rush fans, those that think of Rush as their favorite band, that do not like Caress.

• Like 2

I think this forum in particular overrates COS. Even back in rhe Alt.music.rush days I dont think it was rated very highly. I don't think time has been kind to that album at all. Bastille Day is amazing, Necromancer has some amazing guitar playing and Fountain is a couple of good ideas with really nothing to unify them thematically. 2112 is stronger in every way.
  • Like 3

Great post. I've been listening to CoS quite a bit lately. Alex's guitar work is so soulful on that album. His tone is so good. Really great guitar bits from an era when he was still playing in the Jimmy Page lead guitar idiom, right out front.

Even if the whole world and their auntie hated CoS and wish it had never happened, I still love it and rank it way higher than 2112.

• Like 1

I think this forum in particular overrates COS. Even back in rhe Alt.music.rush days I dont think it was rated very highly. I don't think time has been kind to that album at all. Bastille Day is amazing, Necromancer has some amazing guitar playing and Fountain is a couple of good ideas with really nothing to unify them thematically. 2112 is stronger in every way.

you've lost it my friend.

this forum as a whole tosses it aside.

Mick

This is a good analysis. CoS features a very strong Side 1. Side 2 is Rush really trying to emulate Floyd or Genesis, without yet having the songwriting chops to back up the idea.

Listened to in the context of a bridge between FBN and pretty much everything that would come later (or at least through Moving Pictures), its an absolutely indispensible record. Taken on it's own merits though, it doesn't much rise above the level of the stoner rock that other bands (Scorpions, BOC, Uriah Heep) were putting out at the same time. Pretty easy to see how Rush got lumped in with the likes of Kiss and Ted Nugent in 1975.....

• Like 2

I've always looked at CoS as an experimental album. It seems a little immature in some ways but that's not a bad thing.
  • Like 1

you've lost it my friend.

this forum as a whole tosses it aside.

Mick

Posts in this thread indicate otherwise. Maybe its a loud minority but A loud minority is still louder than a silent majority.

This is a good analysis. CoS features a very strong Side 1. Side 2 is Rush really trying to emulate Floyd or Genesis, without yet having the songwriting chops to back up the idea.

Listened to in the context of a bridge between FBN and pretty much everything that would come later (or at least through Moving Pictures), its an absolutely indispensible record. Taken on it's own merits though, it doesn't much rise above the level of the stoner rock that other bands (Scorpions, BOC, Uriah Heep) were putting out at the same time. Pretty easy to see how Rush got lumped in with the likes of Kiss and Ted Nugent in 1975.....

Any BOC album is miles better than COS. they were just an another plane. They had more cowbell.

COS wasn't as produced or recorded as well as FBN was.For one thing Geddy's vocals in FBN were doubletracked in a lot of songs which lent them a nice thickness. Not so much in COS which sounds plain in comparison or sort of half-baked.

• Like 2

COS wasn't as produced or recorded as well as FBN was.For one thing Geddy's vocals in FBN were doubletracked in a lot of songs which lent them a nice thickness. Not so much in COS which sounds plain in comparison or sort of half-baked.

I agree - I always felt CoS would've fared much better if they had spent a little more time on the production. It sounds underproduced.

Also think that, as cool as the album title is, they should've just called it Fountain of Lamneth and moved FoL to side one.

• Like 1

CoS is top 5 rush for me. FoL is very well done. Much mot melodic musically than any of their other long pieces IMO. No effort to be overly busy or difficult to play. I think it's just too serious for some.
  • Like 1

CoS is top 5 rush for me. FoL is very well done. Much mot melodic musically than any of their other long pieces IMO. No effort to be overly busy or difficult to play. I think it's just too serious for some.

CoS is sixth for me. After AFTK, MP, HYF, VT and GUP.

I love Caress of Steel.

"But in the context of rock music history it will never be as admired by the masses (read: pretentious snobs and the ill advised) so you should refrain from praising this and instead go with the norm and praise a record that actually made a Rolling Stone readers poll."

Seems a legit response.

• Like 2

COS is a much better album as a whole then 2112. I'll defend it till i die.

Mick

I was going to say the same thing but thought better of it.

screw it Lorraine if that's what you feel say it.

Mick

• Like 2