Does this make me a bad parent?

Tombstone Mountain

In order to help my ten year old learn more about history, and have fun while doing it, we watched Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

He was grinning ear to ear the whole time. It was totally cool dude.

Does this make me a bad parent?

What about my fellow TRF parents? Do you ask yourself that same question?

Let us help you answer that question.

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 4

Maybe.

:eyeroll:

Couple things popped up. This movie is before the march of political correctness.

Had to explain the term Fag, and why it is now considered offensive. It was a constructive conversation.

• Like 2

Maybe.

:eyeroll:

Couple things popped up. This movie is before the march of political correctness.

Had to explain the term Fag, and why it is now considered offensive. It was a constructive conversation.

I kind of feel like that's a necessary conversation, even in the age where we like to sterilize and insulate all language, yeah? I feel like the earlier a kid understands the nuances of the varying levels of appropriateness in language, the easier it becomes for them to express themselves in an agreeable way and detect meaning and intention in other people's language.

Just because in today's society we like to delay this sort of connection from happening doesn't mean the word fag, and its problematic nature, stops existing.

• Like 3

I taught my kids to add numbers before they started attending school by teaching them blackjack.

Have they graduated to card counting (as it relates to BJ?)

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 2

I taught my kids to add numbers before they started attending school by teaching them blackjack.

Darn double post!

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1

What makes you a bad parent is you haven't played early Priest albums :haz: to your kids! A case of sad neglect! :givebeer:

And we have learned all about environmental dangers of nuclear testing by listenjng to classic Blue Oyster Cult albums. I am Father of the Year!!!

• Like 1

What makes you a bad parent is you haven't played early Priest albums :haz: to your kids! A case of sad neglect! :givebeer:

Possibly the only legit post in this thread

• Like 2

In elementary school I learned about strategy, trust, and backstabbing by playing this with my older brothers...

http://www.gamesmuseum.uwaterloo.ca/VirtualExhibits/Whitehill/risk/game.jpg

...then again I likely learned those things in kindergarten playing virtually any game with schoolmates & neighborhood kids.

• Like 7

That's like trying to get your information from Wikipedia instead of an actual history book.

Try reading an actual 5th grade history book. They suck trust me.

I can imagine. :LOL:

• Like 1

That's like trying to get your information from Wikipedia instead of an actual history book.

Wikipedia is much better than your typical grade school history book. Much more detail, and links to the rest of the story.
  • Like 2

Wikipedia is much better than your typical grade school history book. Much more detail, and links to the rest of the story.

But better not to use it as a credible source. Many times teachers won't even accept anything that looks like it came from Wikipedia on any school work.