Geddy talks about 2112

EagleMoon

"The listener is left with the decision over whether his society has been liberated by another society that have come and assumed control, or if you’re a pessimist, you are free to believe that the overlords have shut down the invasion and reacquired control. We left it up in the air, so the interpreter can use their own sense of life to decide what happens in the end."

Here's the obvious question. If the closing lyrics were:

"Attention all planets of the Solar Federation, we have resumed control", would the ending be any more or less ambiguous than Geddy thinks they are?

"The listener is left with the decision over whether his society has been liberated by another society that have come and assumed control, or if you’re a pessimist, you are free to believe that the overlords have shut down the invasion and reacquired control. We left it up in the air, so the interpreter can use their own sense of life to decide what happens in the end."

"Attention all planets of the Solar Federation, we have resumed control", would the ending be any more or less ambiguous than Geddy thinks they are?

I would say it would sound more like the overlords taking back control than otherwise.

• Like 2

Thanks for posting this! It adds to my credibility, hahahahahahah. My daughter likes to listen to Rush in the car with me, but when I try to explain a little about the songs I get the "are you sure?" lecture! Much easier for her to read it in an article like this! :D
  • Like 1

I would say it would sound more like the overlords taking back control than otherwise.

And if the overriding negative aspect of the Priests' behavior is control, why is the elder race assuming control a good thing?

Seems like "Attention all planets of the Solar Federation, you have been liberated" would make more sense for that particular outcome.

And if the overriding negative aspect of the Priests' behavior is control, why is the elder race assuming control a good thing?

Seems like "Attention all planets of the Solar Federation, you have been liberated" would make more sense for that particular outcome.

I always took it to mean that the elder race were taking control of the corrupt government and doing away with it, not that they were taking control over the people themselves. Otherwise you're just talking semantics.

• Like 1

They have gifted hands

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTQ0NDI0NDkyOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTk1NzMzMg@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

• Like 1

They've made an assumption about control. We assumed you were being controlled, so we came to kick the priests' asses for you . . .

Cool little article. Wonder why he doesn't say anything about the suicide thing? He just says when he wakes from the dream there's an apocalyptic battle going on . . . or maybe I read that wrong.

• Like 3

They've made an assumption about control. We assumed you were being controlled, so we came to kick the priests' asses for you . . .

Cool little article. Wonder why he doesn't say anything about the suicide thing? He just says when he wakes from the dream there's an apocalyptic battle going on . . . or maybe I read that wrong.

The Yukon Blade Grinder has the answers
  • Like 1

Aw, it's not really in-depth. Just a little paragraph and a quote for each song.

A part of me wants to know what inspired Geddy to write Tears, and Alex to write Lessons. We know what the songs are, we don't know why the songs are. Oh well. Still cool.

• Like 3

Aw, it's not really in-depth. Just a little paragraph and a quote for each song.

A part of me wants to know what inspired Geddy to write Tears, and Alex to write Lessons. We know what the songs are, we don't know why the songs are. Oh well. Still cool.

I agree .. It is great to see Geddy talking about these songs, however, I would definitely be up for a full chapter dedicated to each track .. esp Tears, as I love that song

Neil said he intended it to mean that the Liberators save the day.. the cavalry coming in from somewhere to save the people. This makes sense and it can be assumed that power was given back to the masses. Geddy just likes everything to be ambiguous.

But I also like Toymaker's take on it.. never considered that!

• Like 1

So the Preists made arses out of umis?

I revisited side two not too long ago and found new love for Tears. Great song! Lessons too.

Yes both very much underrated

Last time I revisited side two, I felt "inspired" to eat a large supreme pizza and a plate of brownies by the time The Twilight Zone was finished. I passed out midway through Lessons with my hand still in my half eaten bag of Funyuns.

• Like 1

Wow. Either Geddy forgot a bunch of stuff or he just mailed it in.

As least he redeems himself with this quote:

“Our fanbase is intense in their curiosity over what we’re about,” says singer/bassist Geddy Lee. “Maybe it’s something they sense in us, the fact that we are who we are. Nobody’s pretending to be something; we’re generally trying to play as hard as we can and make it as interesting as possible. And maybe that engenders a response to the authenticity of our work… it’s an honest statement of where we are musically and lyrically.”

Words to live by....

I revisited side two not too long ago and found new love for Tears. Great song! Lessons too.

Last time I revisited side two, I felt "inspired" to eat a large supreme pizza and a plate of brownies by the time The Twilight Zone was finished. I passed out midway through Lessons with my hand still in my half eaten bag of Funyuns.

Weed brownies will do that.. awesome isn't it! ;)

• Like 2

Weed brownies will do that.. awesome isn't it! ;)

Its the hash oil that makes it.

• Like 1