Rank the KING'S X discography for me please

Update:

I now have listened to the first 4 albums.

Gretchen is their best so far I love every track save for Don't Believe It (filler IMO). Everything else is top notch.

Ranking the albums thus far (still need to digest self titled more but I really dig it)

Gretchen Goes To Nebraska

Out Of The Silent Planet

Kings X

Faith Hope Love

Yeah that's mine too. FHL has more filler imo and the title cut is overlong but its still great.

Update:

Gretchen is their best so far I love every track save for Don't Believe It (filler IMO). Everything else is top notch.

Ranking the albums thus far (still need to digest self titled more but I really dig it)

Out Of The Silent Planet

Kings X

Faith Hope Love

I still have not heard the first album so I can't speak to that, but I would otherwise rank their 2nd-4th albums in the order of

FHL

Gretchen

King's X

...with all three being really solid records. Some filler here and there for sure, but really fine albums. I have a 25 year bias on FHL, but I intentionally did NOT listen to that record at all while getting to know the rest (still missing a few) of their music...came back to it...and it's still pretty easily my favorite. I'm not exceedingly crazy about the FHL title cut and Talk To You, but the rest are all top shelf for me...be it the odd Six Broken Soldiers or the plaintive Legal Kill. Just a great record.

Gretchen is fantastic. Not much to add about this album. It hits where everyone says it does with few misses. The Burning Down is one of my favorite of theirs now along with the song Out Of The Silent Planet. Fantastic bookends.

The self-titled is, to me, the overall weakest of this lot, but by very little. I LOVE The World Around Me....Prisoner...Not Just For The Dead (awesome), Lost In Germany. Not crazy about filler like Chariot Song, but it's not a skirt-twister either.

Honestly the one I would rank right up there, if you care to pursue more, is Ear Candy. I put that RIGHT UP THERE with the very best of their material.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 3

Once I play out the first 5 records, Ear Candy is next!

Update:

Out Of The Silent Planet

Kings X

Faith Hope Love

I still have not heard the first album so I can't speak to that, but I would otherwise rank their 2nd-4th albums in the order of

FHL

Gretchen

King's X

...with all three being really solid records. Some filler here and there for sure, but really fine albums. I have a 25 year bias on FHL, but I intentionally did NOT listen to that record at all while getting to know the rest (still missing a few) of their music...came back to it...and it's still pretty easily my favorite. I'm not exceedingly crazy about the FHL title cut and Talk To You, but the rest are all top shelf for me...be it the odd Six Broken Soldiers or the plaintive Legal Kill. Just a great record.

Gretchen is fantastic. Not much to add about this album. It hits where everyone says it does with few misses. The Burning Down is one of my favorite of theirs now along with the song Out Of The Silent Planet. Fantastic bookends.

The self-titled is, to me, the overall weakest of this lot, but by very little. I LOVE The World Around Me....Prisoner...Not Just For The Dead (awesome), Lost In Germany. Not crazy about filler like Chariot Song, but it's not a skirt-twister either.

Honestly the one I would rank right up there, if you care to pursue more, is Ear Candy. I put that RIGHT UP THERE with the very best of their material.

Gretchen and FHL are neck and neck for me...top 3-4. Overall, I feel the self titled is a touch overrated, but I'm with you on the songs you like. I'd definitely put Not Just For the Dead at the top.

Did you get the Live in London CD/DVD yet?

Update:

Out Of The Silent Planet

Kings X

Faith Hope Love

FHL

Gretchen

King's X

Gretchen and FHL are neck and neck for me...top 3-4. Overall, I feel the self titled is a touch overrated, but I'm with you on the songs you like. I'd definitely put Not Just For the Dead at the top.

Did you get the Live in London CD/DVD yet?

I did. Good. Pretty raw, which I like.

• Like 1

The best of the bunch. :ebert:

Best moments: Sometime; Run; Mississippi Moon; The Train; Life Going By; Picture

Picture is a great song...and a very brief-but-personal lyric. Strangely one of my favorite lyrics of theirs.

The best of the bunch. :ebert:

Best moments: Sometime; Run; Mississippi Moon; The Train; Life Going By; Picture

I enjoy it all, but Mississippi Moon is my favorite. I think plenty of non King's X fans would like many of the catchy/melodic songs from EC.

Edited by A rocket that ignites itself
  • Like 1

Ear Candy is absolutely spellbinding. Definitely up their with the first three records!

Out Of A Silent Planet

Faith Hope Love

Ear Candy

These four album rank alongside the very best of the very best, in my honest opinion. I sense the same magic that Moving Pictures has, but I would argue that these four albums are even stronger than that.

King's X, thirteen months on from discovering them, are easily close to my top five bands. This past year they have been an absolute essential for me and have got me through some insane moments.

• Like 3

Ear Candy is absolutely spellbinding. Definitely up their with the first three records!

Out Of A Silent Planet

Faith Hope Love

Ear Candy

These four album rank alongside the very best of the very best, in my honest opinion. I sense the same magic that Moving Pictures has, but I would argue that these four albums are even stronger than that.

King's X, thirteen months on from discovering them, are easily close to my top five bands. This past year they have been an absolute essential for me and have got me through some insane moments.

Music does that for me too. Glad you are discovering this band. Good music never dies. :)

• Like 2

Update:

Out Of The Silent Planet

Kings X

Faith Hope Love

Yeah that's mine too. FHL has more filler imo and the title cut is overlong but its still great.

Faith Hope Love is a tour de force as it is. That ending is transcendental.

• Like 3

I have to say, because I always forget to mention it, that Everywhere I Go from FHL is simply one of their best and most underrated songs.

I love that song as well! There is not a single moment on any of those first three albums that don't slay me.

• Like 2

I am in receipt of Ogre Tones and will be spinning it over the next few days.

My most recent was XV, which I quite like.

I have a hunch you'll mostly enjoy Ogre Tones if you like XV...they are much alike IMO.

I'd be really interested in hearing your thoughts on Bulbous and Manic Moonlight if you get a chance on picking them up. Two polarizing albums from the early 2000's. To me, Bulbous is stellar and Moonlight a bit under appreciated.

Edited by A rocket that ignites itself
  • Like 1

I have a hunch you'll mostly enjoy Ogre Tones if you like XV...they are much alike IMO.

I'd be really interested in hearing your thoughts on Bulbous and Manic Moonlight if you get a chance on picking them up. Two polarizing albums from the early 2000's. To me, Bulbous is stellar and Moonlight a bit under appreciated.

I agree with the OT/XV comparison. I would point out that OT is probably more upbeat and immediate than XV, which is probably a little darker. But still similar vibes.

Bulbous was good but far too short. MM was okay but I felt the loops added nothing to the material. And again, too short of an album.

• Like 1

Holy freaking shit.

Faith Hope Love hit me this morning like a 2 ton heavy thing.

What a f***ing great album. It finally just sunk in. Wow.

• Like 5

I agree with the OT/XV comparison. I would point out that OT is probably more upbeat and immediate than XV, which is probably a little darker. But still similar vibes.

Bulbous was good but far too short. MM was okay but I felt the loops added nothing to the material. And again, too short of an album.

Yes, similar vibes is what I'd call it. It's a weird thing with both Tones and XV for me...I'm up and down on how much I like many of the songs. Material from those years isn't as consistent to my tastes. Bottom line, we need a new King's X album!

Bulbous could definitely use 1-2 more songs to round it out. It's such a different listening experience, but I've always enjoyed the weirdness of it.

Moonlight has it's flaws for sure but it has at least a few songs (The Other Side, Believe, Vegetable) that I honestly like more than pretty much anything off of the last 2 albums...

• Like 1

Holy freaking shit.

Very cool. FHL needs plenty of spins and time to fully absorb. I love albums like that. :ebert:

Holy freaking shit.

Very cool. FHL needs plenty of spins and time to fully absorb. I love albums like that. :ebert:

My first KX album! :)

• Like 1

Yes, similar vibes is what I'd call it. It's a weird thing with both Tones and XV for me...I'm up and down on how much I like many of the songs. Material from those years isn't as consistent to my tastes. Bottom line, we need a new King's X album!

Bulbous could definitely use 1-2 more songs to round it out. It's such a different listening experience, but I've always enjoyed the weirdness of it.

Moonlight has it's flaws for sure but it has at least a few songs (The Other Side, Believe, Vegetable) that I honestly like more than pretty much anything off of the last 2 albums...

The Other Side is definitely the best song on that one.