I Can't Watch No More Of This Movie!

Babycat

Watchmen

Brotherhood Of The Wolf

RoboCop (remake)

The Fountain (hope to try it again)

Avatar (sat through it at the cinema, but mostly texted my girlfriend at the time)

Watchmen: liked it quite a bit.

Robocop remake: saw it all...it was garbage

Avatar: saw it all...almost fell asleep...it was predictable and like watching someone playing a stupid video game

I predicted my way through Avatar entirely because it reminded me of Disney's Pocahontas.

I turned to my friend and said jokingly "this happened in Pocahontas and they kissed under the tree". At that moment they kissed under the tree.

I knew the ending as well. I had avoided all spoilers.

Sorry, its garbage.

Plus it reminded me also of these films: Seen Dances With Wolves? Fern Gully? The Smurfs (lol)?

Same thing goes for Titanic, a film I actually love. But take away the spectacle, take away the budget, the big names, the effects, and what do you have?

Nothing.

I will always love James Cameron for his amazing work, but like all my favourite directors, I have no problem saying I hate some of his stuff. Avatar is his worst film.

And it is apparently the most successful film of all time, but I have never met anyone, in person or online, young or old, who is infatuated with the movie as many are Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Lord Of The Rings, Harry Potter.

And as far as artistic movies and deep sci-fi, aside from die hard critics who swear its a masterpiece, no one has ever claimed it to be up their with the greats.

It's a puzzle to me, I know people who enjoy it, but after five years, or six or whatever, no one seems to care, an no one seems excited about a sequel either.

I've seen 7 films directed by Cameron. I thought there were more. He's 5-2 with me. The 2 I didn't like: Avatar and Titanic.

Just for kicks...

My favorite director, Kubrick, is a perfect 10-0.

John Carpenter 9-0...though I don't love his flicks (except for maybe Escape from New York) like I do most of Kubrick's.

Spielberg 18-4.

Cameron Crowe 5-2.

I must try this!

I love Titanic, but I was seven or eight when I first saw it and it blew me away. When I watch it now, its obviously easy for me to spot the cheese, but I grew up with it! Now as for Aliens, Terminator, The Abyss...others too, I love them!

Spielberg? Well...all I can say is something for everyone. He directed my all time favourite movie, Schindler's List. But he also directed Hook. And...well...we remember his hits but when he misses the mark he really blows.

Yeah, the 18-4 record Spielberg got with me is crazy respectable. Pretty sure isn't another director who has directed more than 22 films I've seen. Will look for one.

What are the misses for you?

I haven't seen all of Spielberg's movies, but these are the misses for me:

Hook

The Terminal (I like it for the Sunday afternoon TV drama it really is)

Munich

Indy Jones/Crystal Skull...waste of Ford! And why's that fool in there playing Indy's kid?!

War of the Worlds...actually liked most of it though

A.I....just a bit slow. I like the idea though.

Jurassic Park Lost World...NO!

I forgot Indy 4 (it doesn't exist)

I love War Of The World's.. Until that awful and abrupt ending... (Book is still better...imagine if they made a movie of Victorian England attacked by steam punk alien war machines?)

The Lost World again wins for me...blame nostalgia (but i f I watched it for the first time now I don't think I'd disagree).

Catch Me If You Can is saved by both the acting and the intriguing story, but I think it suffers from some shoddy direction.

And Minority Report is a great movie I can only watch once every few years.

Never seen Always, 1941 or Saving Private Ryan (at least, not as an adult).

1941 is worth the rental.

• Like 1

The Lost Boys !

So disappointing! I thought it would be good because of an interesting cast, and because, vampires, but it had terrible writing. Got bored halfway thru and quit.

Definitely had potential but it never really went anywhere.

It's the Corey Feldman Effect. It's been scientifically proven to drag down any film at least three levels. :P :P

But, The Goonies would like to have a word with you. ;)

Also Stand By Me. Cmon now. Otherwise yes absolutely agree

• Like 2

The Lost Boys !

So disappointing! I thought it would be good because of an interesting cast, and because, vampires, but it had terrible writing. Got bored halfway thru and quit.

It's the Corey Feldman Effect. It's been scientifically proven to drag down any film at least three levels. :P :P

I was always bummed at how SBM ended. All this build up and then nothing at the end.

The Lost Boys !

Stand By Me was so good that it could withstand the Feldman Effect. Hollywood should sample some of that film and use it to create a vaccine..... :D

• Like 2

The Lost Boys !

Stand By Me was so good that it could withstand the Feldman Effect. Hollywood should sample some of that film and use it to create a vaccine..... :D

Such a good movie! And it always cracks me up now to see Wil Wheaton on the Big Bang Theory, with his Star Trek, Next Gen fame.

The Lost Boys !

Such a good movie! And it always cracks me up now to see Wil Wheaton on the Big Bang Theory, with his Star Trek, Next Gen fame.

Wheaton is a very good actor. Unfortunately for him, the writers of Star Trek made his character too "sissy" and very dislikable. He did get to doink Ashley Judd, so he wasn't all bad......:LOL:

• Like 2

The Lost Boys !

Wheaton is a very good actor. Unfortunately for him, the writers of Star Trek made his character too "sissy" and very dislikable. He did get to doink Ashley Judd, so he wasn't all bad...... :LOL:

I never hated Wesley like some people did but I could understand it. He was always saving the Enterprise when even the trained officers couldn't figure it out.

• Like 1

Wheaton is a very good actor. Unfortunately for him, the writers of Star Trek made his character too "sissy" and very dislikable. He did get to doink Ashley Judd, so he wasn't all bad...... :LOL:

"doink?"

The Lost Boys !

Wheaton is a very good actor. Unfortunately for him, the writers of Star Trek made his character too "sissy" and very dislikable. He did get to doink Ashley Judd, so he wasn't all bad......:LOL:

That was a conscious decision by the writers. Here is an abbreviated transcript of one of the Next Generation meetings: ((voice unidentified))

"Okay listen everyone. The hate mails regarding Wesley Crusher have continued to increase. And nearly exponentially with each episode. So one proposal mentioned from our last meeting is to have him bang Ashley Judd. Now, this isn't a cure all for the hate mail BUT some of us BELIEVE it WILL alleviate some of the negative image surrounding the character. All in favor?"

• Like 4

The Lost Boys !

That was a conscious decision by the writers. Here is an abbreviated transcript of one of the Next Generation meetings: ((voice unidentified))

"Okay listen everyone. The hate mails regarding Wesley Crusher have continued to increase. And nearly exponentially with each episode. So one proposal mentioned from our last meeting is to have him bang Ashley Judd. Now, this isn't a cure all for the hate mail BUT some of us BELIEVE it WILL alleviate some of the negative image surrounding the character. All in favor?"

:D. :D. :D
  • Like 1

The Lost Boys !

So much win.

• Like 2

The Lost Boys !

I wondered when Wil Wheaton learned to throw his voice. Must have been right before this meeting. :LOL:

• Like 2

Cameron Crowe directed Jerry Maguire, a film I practically worship!

What else would you recommend?

Yeah, Maguire is quality. But I like Almost Famous even more. Brilliant, touching, and damn funny! Philipp Seymour Hoffman!!!! The other 3 Crowe movies I liked: Say Anything, Singles, and Vanilla Sky. All VERY good flicks IMHO.

Although I had Carpenter with a perfect 9-0 record, I like Crowe's movies more...despite his 2 garbage movies of Elizabethtown and We Bought A Zoo.

Aloha is garbage as well. I only saw that to oogle Emma Stone and Rachel McAdams. That's it.

The Lost Boys !

Gremlins and The Burbs were good as well and Part IV is one of the best of the F13 franchise.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

It's based on softfilter's "That's it i quit!" book thread, only this is for movies. Have you ever started to watch a movie, getting about 10 or so minutes into it, getting bored or frustrated or something, and thinking: "Nope! This is awful - can't watch no more!" and you actually reach out to stop the DVD, take it out and put something else in?

I did: 'Attack The Block', 2011, and starring Nick Frost and John Boyega (pre 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens'). 15 minutes, that's how long I took.

Without giving the plot away, 'Attack The Block' is an alien invasion movie set in London, England.

Hahahaha! I am a horror sci fi nut! I loved "Attack The Block!"

• Like 1

The Lost Boys !

Gremlins and The Burbs were good as well and Part IV is one of the best of the F13 franchise.

I forgot about the Burbs, thats a good rainy Saturday afternoon nothing else to do flick.

Yeah, Maguire is quality. But I like Almost Famous even more. Brilliant, touching, and damn funny! Philipp Seymour Hoffman!!!! The other 3 Crowe movies I liked: Say Anything, Singles, and Vanilla Sky. All VERY good flicks IMHO.

Although I had Carpenter with a perfect 9-0 record, I like Crowe's movies more...despite his 2 garbage movies of Elizabethtown and We Bought A Zoo.

Aloha is garbage as well. I only saw that to oogle Emma Stone and Rachel McAdams. That's it.

The one two combo of Elizabethtown & We Bought A Zoo has put me off Crowe. It's a damn shame too. He used to be so good. The difference between those two and any two of his in the 90s is jarring.

• Like 1

Watchmen

Brotherhood Of The Wolf

RoboCop (remake)

The Fountain (hope to try it again)

Avatar (sat through it at the cinema, but mostly texted my girlfriend at the time)

I gave Avatar a 2nd viewing on Rifftrax recently and it does not hold up at all.

It didn't hold up the first time even with being immersed in cinema bigness.

• Like 1

The one two combo of Elizabethtown & We Bought A Zoo has put me off Crowe. It's a damn shame too. He used to be so good. The difference between those two and any two of his in the 90s is jarring.

I thought "Aloha" was garbage too.

Wait, Carpenter? 9-0 as in the John Carpenter?

He's my all time favorite director.

I am sure many of you on here wouldn't even give "Halloween III" 6.66 seconds of time. Well kids, "Halloween III Season Of The Witch" is my second favorite movie of all time.

Yep! No wonder many of you think I'm insane. I could care less.

My number movie in the world is...........

Yep.

I'm actually very predictable.

"Halloween."

The letter "H" is very important to me.

Favorite film, "Halloween."

Favorite album, "Hemispheres"

I am sure many of you on here wouldn't even give "Halloween III" 6.66 seconds of time. Well kids, "Halloween III Season Of The Witch" is my second favorite movie of all time.

Yep.

"Halloween."

Of the 9 Carpenter flicks I've seen (and liked), his best two IMHO are Escape from New York and The Thing. Can't count how many times I've wedged Snake Plissken into a thread that has nothing to do with the movie or Carpenter. Hell, I recently had Snake in some Kiss thread you made Earl.

• Like 1

Yep.

"Halloween."

Of the 9 Carpenter flicks I've seen (and liked), his best two IMHO are Escape from New York and The Thing. Can't count how many times I've wedged Snake Plissken into a thread that has nothing to do with the movie or Carpenter. Hell, I recently had Snake in some Kiss thread you made Earl.

Wow! No wonder I love you Johnny! At the end of the day we have so much in common.

I saw "Escape" and "The Thing" in the theater. I was so lucky.

Yes I too am a Snake addict.

I actually have an "Escape From New York" comic book autographed by John and Kurt.

Oh yes Johnny I an hardcore.

I can't believe I overlooked your "Snake" implants on my KISS thread. "Shame Shame Shame" on me.

Signed,

RATT

I mean

Ssssssnake

LOL

Cheers!

Yep.

"Halloween."

Wow! No wonder I love you Johnny! At the end of the day we have so much in common.

I saw "Escape" and "The Thing" in the theater. I was so lucky.

Yes I too am a Snake addict.

I actually have an "Escape From New York" comic book autographed by John and Kurt.

Oh yes Johnny I an hardcore.

I can't believe I overlooked your "Snake" implants on my KISS thread. "Shame Shame Shame" on me.

Signed,

RATT

I mean

Ssssssnake

LOL

Cheers!

How the hell could you have overlooked that post?! I had Snake, Stan Lee, Ivan Drago, and Khan (Montalban) as members of the original version of Kiss. Snake was on lead guitar!!!

• Like 1