Steven Wilson 4.5

shail

I have it pre-ordered and look forward to the same enjoyment.

Steve is a true Prog genius. Thank god for him.

He must have had a temporary (hopefully) leave of his senses when he wrote Permanating.

Dude i love that song. and i love it pissed so many off lol

i love stupid pop songs.

it was honestly refreashing. he was getting stale as hell for a bit.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Maybe change the topic to To The Bone. It's a great album. Have overdosed on the album since it hit the streets. Nowhere Now. What a positive beautiful feel good tune. Up beat and fun. I like Craig's drumming on this album. No crazy fills. Just play simple and groove. It works for the music. No much space for drums to go crazy like other albums with Marco or Gavin. Love the direction Steven took.
  • Like 1

Maybe change the topic to To The Bone. It's a great album. Have overdosed on the album since it hit the streets. Nowhere Now. What a positive beautiful feel good tune. Up beat and fun. I like Craig's drumming on this album. No crazy fills. Just play simple and groove. It works for the music. No much space for drums to go crazy like other albums with Marco or Gavin. Love the direction Steven took.

Craig only plays drums on three songs. Most are Jeremy Stacey (currently one of King Crimson's drummers!)

TO THE BONE

Steven Wilson, Bass, Composer, Guitar, Keyboards, Main Artist, Mixer, Producer, Vocals

Jeremy Stacey, Drums

Pete Eckford, Percussion

Adam Holzman, Clavichord, Hammond Organ, Piano

Mark Feltham, Harmonica

Ninet Tayeb, Background Vocalist

Dave Kilminster, Background Vocalist

Jasmine Walkes, Voice

Paul Draper, Synthesizer Programming

Paul Stacey, Co-Producer, Engineer

Paul "P Dub" Walton, Mixer

Tim Young, Mastering Engineer

Andy Partridge, Author

NOWHERE NOW

Steven Wilson, Bass, Composer, Guitar, Keyboards, Main Artist, Producer, Vocals

Jeremy Stacey, Drums

Pete Eckford, Percussion

Adam Holzman, Hammond Organ, Piano

Dave Stewart, Producer, String Arranger

Cenzo Townshend, Mixer

Angel Studio, London, Producer

Andy Partridge, Author

PARIAH

Steven Wilson, Author, Bass, Composer, Guitar, Keyboards, Main Artist, Mixer, Producer, Programming, Vocals

Ninet Tayeb, Featured Artist, Vocals

Craig Blundell, Drums

Adam Holzman, Piano

THE SAME ASYLUM AS BEFORE

Steven Wilson, Author, Composer, Guitar, Keyboards, Main Artist, Mixer, Producer, Vocals

Jeremy Stacey, Drums

Robin Mullarkey, Bass

Pete Eckford, Percussion

Adam Holzman, Piano

Strings : The London Session Orchestra, leader Gavyn Wright, Orchestra/Member

Isobel Griffiths, Orchestra Contractor

Steve Price, Engineer

REFUGE

Steven Wilson, Author, Bass, Composer, Guitar, Keyboards, Main Artist, Mixer, Producer, Vocals

Necro Deathmort, Acoustic Sounds Treatments, Programming

Jeremy Stacey, Drums

Mark Feltham, Harmonica

Adam Holzman, Hammond Organ, Piano, Synthesizer

Paul Stacey, Co-Producer, Engineer, Guitar

PERMANATING

Steven Wilson, Author, Composer, Guitar, Keyboards, Main Artist, Producer, Vocals

Jeremy Stacey, Drums

Pete Eckford, Percussion

Nick Beggs, Bass

Adam Holzman, Hammond Organ, Piano

Cenzo Townshend, Mixer

BLANK TAPES

Steven Wilson, Author, Composer, Guitar, Main Artist, Mellotron, Mixer, Producer, Vocals

Ninet Tayeb, Featured Artist, Vocals

Adam Holzman, Piano

PEOPLE WHO EAT DARKNESS

Steven Wilson, Author, Bass, Composer, Guitar, Keyboards, Main Artist, Mixer, Producer, Vocals

Ninet Tayeb, Vocals

Craig Blundell, Drums

Pete Eckford, Tambourine

Adam Holzman, Organ

SONG OF I

Steven Wilson, Author, Composer, Keyboards, Main Artist, Mixer, Producer, Programming, Vocals

Sophie Hunger, Featured Artist, Vocals

Craig Blundell, Drums

Adam Holzman, Piano

David Kollar, Guitar

Steve Price, Engineer

Benoit Corboz, Recording Engineer

DETONATION

Steven Wilson, Author, Composer, Guitar, Keyboards, Main Artist, Mixer, Producer, Programming, Vocals

Jeremy Stacey, Drums

Pete Eckford, Percussion

Robin Mullarkey, Bass

Adam Holzman, Organ, Piano, Synthesizer

David Kollar, Guitar

Steve Price, Engineer

SONG OF UNBORN

Steven Wilson, Author, Bass, Composer, Guitar, Keyboards, Main Artist, Mixer, Producer, Programming, Vocal Arranger, Vocals

Craig Blundell, Drums

Pete Eckford, Percussion

Adam Holzman, Piano, Synthesizer

Synergy Vocals, Vocals

Dave Stewart, Producer

Steve Price, Engineer

I have only listened to the officially released tracks so far. I liked the first three, thought Permanating was OK but wouldn't want more than one track like it however I thought Refuge is awesome - that harmonica! Looking forward to hearing how the whole album works.
  • Like 1

I am holding off for the official release. I have even been avoiding the pre-release singles too. I did listen to the first two but stayed away after that. I would rather hear the whole thing in context. I never liked having ultra sounds to find out my babies' genders either. :P I'm weird like that. Edited by catherine
  • Like 4

I am holding off for the official release. I have even been avoiding the pre-release singles too. I did listen to the first two but stayed away after that. I would rather hear the whole thing in context. I never liked having ultra sounds to find out my babies' genders either. :P I'm weird like that.

Spoiler alert: the songs really don't have anything to do with one another. There's really no flow or context, at least nothing I could find. A few interesting politically based songs though. SW even said in interviews this wasn't a concept album, even a loosely connected theme based album. IMO of all his prior output this is closest to In Absentia, and there was really no common thread there either. Just the same equally diverse set of styles and varied lyrical themes.

Yes, I am seeing a pattern emerging here. I'm seeing YOU continuing to escalate what started as a very minor situation into one that requires mod intervention. Now would be a good time for you to cut bait and get back to talking about the new SW album.

Eggs were broken, omelettes were made. I thought they tasted pretty good.

SW even said in interviews this wasn't a concept album, even a loosely connected theme based album. IMO of all his prior output this is closest to In Absentia, and there was really no common thread there either.

Yes there was.

• Like 2

SW even said in interviews this wasn't a concept album, even a loosely connected theme based album. IMO of all his prior output this is closest to In Absentia, and there was really no common thread there either.

Yes there was.

Yep. While the songs do not really connect musically, the serial killer theme is lyrically prevalent in most of the songs (The Sound of Muzak being the exception, along with the instrumental). That is part of what makes In Absentia so awesome. :notworthy:

• Like 2

I listened to this album while mowing the lawn Saturday... probably not the best atmosphere... but I was really surprised at how much I didn't like it. HCE and 4.5 were some of my favorite releases from anyone in the past few years, and I've been absolutely pumped for this one.

I really loved Pariah, The Same Asylum as Before and Permanating... Didn't care much for Song of I, while Refuge was a little too atmospheric and droning for my tastes (although the instrumental area in the middle is solid). Upon full listening, the only other track that stood out to me was Nowhere Now.

Again, I haven't yet listened in ideal conditions, and I will be giving this album more attention. But I'm feeling a little crestfallen on this one at the moment.

From MusicRadar.com

Steven Wilson’s Craig Blundell: 10 drumming albums that changed my life

4. Rush - Exit... Stage Left (1981)

“I absolutely did not understand what was going on with YYZ and tracks like that. It was beyond my musicality.

"This was going to the next level for me with time signatures that didn’t feel right, but I liked that and wanted to know more. [Neil’s] part construction was very new to me with some strange phrasings and stickings.

“Looking back at it, Neil was an absolute pioneer of this genre. He was playing in a three-piece band who played everything live. They were prolific in their songwriting, they wrote a lot of groundbreaking albums and were a soundtrack for the drummer’s drummer.

"Outside Dave Lombardo, Neil was the first drummer I really fell in love with. He was the first poster on my wall.

“For me, Neil brought drumming forward 30 or 40 years. That’s the sign of a great drummer to me – you listen to their music years on and it still stands the test of time.”

• Like 2