Geddy's sound on Hold Your Fire

micgtr71

I think it's probably his best bass performance over a whole album.

Pat!! ARE WE BROTHERS?????????

My God. I couldn't have said it better in one sentence.

I "Ramble On" and you just nail it. Less is more.

Signed,

Led Zeppelin

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

Geddy seriously nails it on every song.

:dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez:

Yeah there's some really imaginative and interesting basslines, and Alex is in full new romantic mode so Geddy has got free reign.

Damn you are right on the money again.

You know what is so funny when so called Rush fans rip "Tai Shan." I guess these so called Rush fans don't have ears.

Just Alex's guitar part alone is amazing.

Perhaps I am a snob being a drummer. My brain is wired for music first then the lyrics and singing.

I lock into the bass and guitar.

Fuckk it.

It's me.

I know my shit.

It doesn't matter if humans don't agree with me.

"Hold Your Fire" is a masterpiece.

Yet so called Rush fans love to rave about the greatness of "Masturbator Fails."

What the hell is "Masturbator Fails"?

But yeah, hyper Geddy here is due to Lifeson floating around the atmosphere and painting the skies. It means Geddy is running and sometimes somersaulting through the prairies and valleys at whatever pace he likes. I'm sure this makes sense to someone. Maybe even me.

Also, this is Rush's last great album IMHO. Angels was good but everything between the two has good and great moments but as a whole they're not albums that I think are great. A few I wouldn't even consider as being good.

Hahahahaha! Sorry! That's just my sick sense of humor making fun of "VAPOR TRAILS!"

But wait. Enough of my bad puns and jokes.

You think "Hold Your Fire" is their last great record?

I totally get it. That was also the last Mercury Records album so it makes sense.

I am sure many think that Rush music sucks on the Atlantic Label.

I love every album up to "Counterparts."

I am finally appreciating "Test For Echo" more as the years go by because at least that record is melodic. It's the lyrics I hate. I mean "masturbate."

I'm just going for the rhyme.

I mean "GOING FOR THE ONE."

Signed,

YES!!!

LOL

Hold Your Fire isn't bad it's just... :zzz:

Vapor Trails is more my jam. ;)

Hahaha! I get it! Hence the title is like the album noise produced on it. It is very dirty and very sonic and raw. I actually must confess that I loved the record when it came out but over the years it just annoys me.

VT and HYF are totally opposite organic creatures from each other.

I'm going for the synth sound instead of the chaos and non-melodic noodling.

Yeah, totally opposite, but great in their own way. Synth vs chaos. Personally, I prefer the chaos (not one weak moment across the entire album) but HYF is in my top five RUSH albums - great tracks incl Prime Mover, High Water, TSS, Turn The Page,etc... And yes, love Ged's bass sound (suits this era of RUSH, and the era of music in general at the time) and style

Welcome to the Forum! I like your post!!! Well stated!!! "Synth vs Chaos." Says it all..........................

I think it's probably his best bass performance over a whole album.

Pat!! ARE WE BROTHERS?????????

My God. I couldn't have said it better in one sentence.

I "Ramble On" and you just nail it. Less is more.

Signed,

Led Zeppelin

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

Geddy seriously nails it on every song.

:dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez:

Yeah there's some really imaginative and interesting basslines, and Alex is in full new romantic mode so Geddy has got free reign.

Damn you are right on the money again.

You know what is so funny when so called Rush fans rip "Tai Shan." I guess these so called Rush fans don't have ears.

Just Alex's guitar part alone is amazing.

Perhaps I am a snob being a drummer. My brain is wired for music first then the lyrics and singing.

I lock into the bass and guitar.

Fuckk it.

It's me.

I know my shit.

It doesn't matter if humans don't agree with me.

"Hold Your Fire" is a masterpiece.

Yet so called Rush fans love to rave about the greatness of "Masturbator Fails."

What the hell is "Masturbator Fails"?

But yeah, hyper Geddy here is due to Lifeson floating around the atmosphere and painting the skies. It means Geddy is running and sometimes somersaulting through the prairies and valleys at whatever pace he likes. I'm sure this makes sense to someone. Maybe even me.

Also, this is Rush's last great album IMHO. Angels was good but everything between the two has good and great moments but as a whole they're not albums that I think are great. A few I wouldn't even consider as being good.

Hahahahaha! Sorry! That's just my sick sense of humor making fun of "VAPOR TRAILS!"

But wait. Enough of my bad puns and jokes.

You think "Hold Your Fire" is their last great record?

I totally get it. That was also the last Mercury Records album so it makes sense.

I am sure many think that Rush music sucks on the Atlantic Label.

I love every album up to "Counterparts."

I am finally appreciating "Test For Echo" more as the years go by because at least that record is melodic. It's the lyrics I hate. I mean "masturbate."

I'm just going for the rhyme.

I mean "GOING FOR THE ONE."

Signed,

YES!!!

LOL

Hold Your Fire isn't bad it's just... :zzz:

Vapor Trails is more my jam. ;)

Hahaha! I get it! Hence the title is like the album noise produced on it. It is very dirty and very sonic and raw. I actually must confess that I loved the record when it came out but over the years it just annoys me.

VT and HYF are totally opposite organic creatures from each other.

I'm going for the synth sound instead of the chaos and non-melodic noodling.

I would agree they are totally opposite!

I listen to Hold Your Fire when I'm trying to sleep.

Vapor Trails is a production mess but it's just grungy and raw and I love it.

Indeed!!!!

Mic, I am not trying to be a dick. I just love this album so much. Everyone has the right to their opinion. I respect that. I just love to argue over greatness. RULE

"HYF" RULES!!! I will say that the boys overplayed "Force Ten" over several of their tours. It drove me nuts. Alas "HYF is brilliant like the North Star.

I think you misunderstood me. This album is in my top 3. It always has been. I just thought it should have a deeper sound.

The Wal sounds farty to me, in the way a fretless can sound farty. Some people like that sound. I'm not one of them. I think his bass lines themselves were well done, especially in Turn The Page, Open Secrets, Prime Mover, Lock and Key and Mission.

Would the word "mwah" apply for what you are describing here?

To my ears, the word "boing" applies more to that Wal sound.

As for the bit about the MP sound being overkill on a song like Turn the Page, I think an EQ may have sorted that out. That live sound on the Ric for something like Turn the Page I think would have been huge.

The Wal sounds farty to me, in the way a fretless can sound farty. Some people like that sound. I'm not one of them. I think his bass lines themselves were well done, especially in Turn The Page, Open Secrets, Prime Mover, Lock and Key and Mission.

As for the bit about the MP sound being overkill on a song like Turn the Page, I think an EQ may have sorted that out. That live sound on the Ric for something like Turn the Page I think would have been huge.

Perhaps I was going overboard by saying it would be over kill or an 'unholy mess' but it would detract from the melodic,percussive feel of the Wal.Back then I wanted Wal bass bad and I had a Fender Precision bass like Ged's on MP!Now I am glad I still have my 74 Fender because the Wal sound has dated but i still love that PoW,HYF and Presto period.A great time in my life.

No, not the mwah sound though you can get that on a fretless. What I'm talking about is just the basic playing tone. Sounds like the bass is being played inside of a plastic bag.

Mic, I am not trying to be a dick. I just love this album so much. Everyone has the right to their opinion. I respect that. I just love to argue over greatness. RULE

"HYF" RULES!!! I will say that the boys overplayed "Force Ten" over several of their tours. It drove me nuts. Alas "HYF is brilliant like the North Star.

I think you misunderstood me. This album is in my top 3. It always has been. I just thought it should have a deeper sound.

I'm sorry Mic. I did misunderstand you. No worried. It's in my Top 3 too at the moment.

1. Hemispheres (Will always be my number one)

2. Grace Under Pressure

3. Hold Your Fire

• Like 2

I'm sorry Mic. I did misunderstand you. No worried. It's in my Top 3 too at the moment.

2. Grace Under Pressure

3. Hold Your Fire

Excellent top three, Earl!

Mine:

1. Hemispheres / Hold Your Fire (tie- yes, seriously!)

3. Moving Pictures

4. Permanent Waves

Clockwork Angels is high up for me, too, varying from number five to number seven, no doubt.

And after that...I can just never decide. But Hold Your Fire is wall-to-wall awesome. Some of Neil's most inventive drumming, fantastic lyrics, and the musicianship of all three of them is incredible!

• Like 1

2. Grace Under Pressure

3. Hold Your Fire

If you replace Grace Under Pressure with Signals, you have my top 3. Grace is up there for me.

• Like 1

My top three Geddy albums

1. Permanent Waves

2. Moving Pictures

3. Signals

Playing, bass lines, tone, the Full Monty!!!

What a run of sonic and playing brilliance on bass for my taste.

• Like 1

1. Permanent Waves

2. Moving Pictures

3. Signals

I would agree with this but I'd also put Hemispheres in there.

• Like 1

2. Grace Under Pressure

3. Hold Your Fire

If you replace Grace Under Pressure with Signals, you have my top 3. Grace is up there for me.

Awesome!! Grace Rules!

• Like 1

1. Permanent Waves

2. Moving Pictures

3. Signals

I love most Rush music but really...if there was only this they would still be one of my favorite bands.

• Like 1

1. Permanent Waves

2. Moving Pictures

3. Signals

I love most Rush music but really...if there was only this they would still be one of my favorite bands.

For me it'd be Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, Hemispheres. And they'd still be my favorite band. The only band I can think of with 3 albums in a row that IMHO are all perfect is Pink Floyd with Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and Animals.

• Like 1

1. Permanent Waves

2. Moving Pictures

3. Signals

I'd put it at #1.

• Like 1

1. Permanent Waves

2. Moving Pictures

3. Signals

I'd put it at #1.

I would too. The bass on that album is really awesome.

• Like 2

1. Permanent Waves

2. Moving Pictures

3. Signals

I'd put it at #1.

The tone is quite possibly his best. You just can't beat the growl of the Rick!

• Like 1

1. Permanent Waves

2. Moving Pictures

3. Signals

I'd put it at #1.

I think we can blame the decline in the quality of their music to the fact that Geddy quit playing the Ric. ;)

Actually I hated it when he switched to the Jazz full time even though I understand it now. It was his signature tone and it always sounded the best to my ears.

• Like 2

1. Permanent Waves

2. Moving Pictures

3. Signals

I'd put it at #1.

"Hemispheres" will be my number one album on the earth until I die.

• Like 4

1. Permanent Waves

2. Moving Pictures

3. Signals

I'd put it at #1.

Mine too.

• Like 1

1. Permanent Waves

2. Moving Pictures

3. Signals

I'd put it at #1.

It's #2 for me. A perfect album indeed.

1. Permanent Waves

2. Moving Pictures

3. Signals

I'd put it at #1.

I think we can blame the decline in the quality of their music to the fact that Geddy quit playing the Ric. ;)

Actually I hated it when he switched to the Jazz full time even though I understand it now. It was his signature tone and it always sounded the best to my ears.

Eh, I don't really see a decline in their music, minus the dip they took in the synth era (all my opinion of course). The last three albums have been among my favorites, and I really like Counterparts and Test for Echo.

1. Permanent Waves

2. Moving Pictures

3. Signals

I'd put it at #1.

Eh, I don't really see a decline in their music, minus the dip they took in the synth era (all my opinion of course). The last three albums have been among my favorites, and I really like Counterparts and Test for Echo.

It was a joke, that's why I put the winky. :)

• Like 1