What if Geddy and Alex started a new band?

snowdogged

Marco Minneman if they want to upgrade from Neil!

Why does everybody always think all out technical ability is an upgrade? Most times that's not the case at all. There are no best drummers only favorites and it's hard to imagine any drummer whose style meshes with Lee/Lifeson any better.

Trent Reznor should program the percussion, THAT would be interesting...

Geddy and Alex of Leefson present their new album...

"Not in a Rush"

As long as they dont bring in portnoy...

Bringing in Portnoy might be a good move, from a marketing standpoint. There is a lot of fanbase crossover. As for the music, Portnoy could pull it off.
  • Like 1

Maybe a new album of instrumental music with a different drummer on every song?

I'm advocating for a Lee/Lifeson album. I don't see why if they made a solid instrumental record they couldn't take it on the road. I saw King Crimson a couple of weeks ago at a fairly small venue of 1,400 seats, and they had seven musicians this time around, including three drummers. I paid as much for tickets to that show, and had a pretty good view of the band, as I did for seats for the Clockwork Angels tour, where the band was about the size of the nail on my pinky finger.

I'd happily pay $100+ to see Alex and Geddy play, Neil or Neil, Rush or no Rush.

If any of this is within the realm of the possible I'd rather they pick a very talented no-name drummer who acts as a designated hitter. Maybe Neil could record a new album, and then they could find someone who is willing and (mostly) able to reproduce Neil's work. If they picked a bigger name like Portnoy, that person would be more likely to change the dynamic. To some extent that's unavoidable of course, but my hope would be that any new iteration of the band would maintain the essence of Rush. And I'm with tb- if any of the guys are playing out anywhere with anyone, I'll be looking to see them.

Dave Grohl would be a great fit. And I bet Dave Grohl agrees! If I was Dave Grohl I would put Foo Fighters on hold for a few months to tour with Geddy and/or Alex.

My guess is we get a solo album from Geddy, and he will tour for it. I think Alex will be featured very prominently on the album, but it will still be billed as a Geddy solo album. I don't think Alex will tour with him. I can't see Geddy not doing the vocals. He will do just fine if he doesn't force himself out of his current range.

I have no insider info, that just seems like a likely scenario!