Geddy on 40 years of Rush article

EagleMoon

Interesting the bit about YYZ. I didn't know Geddy and Neil had worked it out before Alex heard it. Makes sense though. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during those sessions.
  • Like 1

Geddy ought to write his Rush memoirs.

If he can remember what happened. His memory isn't the best lately. :D

That's true, but I am starting to get the impression from them that they always put their best face forward when it came to their fans. I think there was a lot of suffering behind the scenes. I'm not talking personal, although I am sure there was that too, but as a band.

I don't think much of the eighties was a good decade for them at all.

Edited by Lorraine

That's true, but I am starting to get the impression from them that they always put their best face forward when it came to their fans. I think there was a lot of suffering behind the scenes. I'm not talking personal, although I am sure there was that too, but as a band.

I don't think much of the eighties was a good decade for them at all.

Yeah I would imagine so. For one thing, hard to know what way to go musically after Moving Pictures.

Interesting the bit about YYZ. I didn't know Geddy and Neil had worked it out before Alex heard it. Makes sense though. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during those sessions.

Makes sense, they're the only 2 with songwriting credits on that song.

Very cool interview. And I expect another Geddy solo effort again from reading that.

I loved MFH. Look forward to more solo stuff in the future.

• Like 3

AVC: Would you ever consider making a solo album again?

GL: Yes, I would. Definitely.

There will never be a shortage of music coming from the Rush camp - maybe not as much in terms of the band, but I think Geddy in particular will keep us happy .... He is brimming with enthusiasm on stage and in interviews, and he's got a lot of music left in him that's going to come out ..

That makes me happy

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 6

I never really noticed that though they didn't write Alex's parts, so odd he wouldn't be given credit.

Hahaha, yes, seemingly forgetting what album Cygnus was on. In Dallas, he said "Hi Houston!"
  • Like 4

AVC: Would you ever consider making a solo album again?

GL: Yes, I would. Definitely.

There will never be a shortage of music coming from the Rush camp - maybe not as much in terms of the band, but I think Geddy in particular will keep us happy .... He is brimming with enthusiasm on stage and in interviews, and he's got a lot of music left in him that's going to come out ..

That makes me happy

me too!
  • Like 1

I never really noticed that though they didn't write Alex's parts, so odd he wouldn't be given credit.

This is similar to a situation that came up during the MOTH stuff. There was one of Jeremy's songs (Angel of Chrome) where I was given carte blanche to come up with whatever guitar parts I wanted to on that song, but had Jeremy wanted to include me in the songwriting credit, I would have refused. Jeremy wrote 100% of the song, as far as I was concerned, even though I wrote 100% of the guitar parts. Adding guitar parts to an existing strong structure has never felt like actually participating in songwriting, at least to me, anyway, so Alex's omission from the songwriting credit on YYZ has always made sense to me.

• Like 2

This is similar to a situation that came up during the MOTH stuff. There was one of Jeremy's songs (Angel of Chrome) where I was given carte blanche to come up with whatever guitar parts I wanted to on that song, but had Jeremy wanted to include me in the songwriting credit, I would have refused. Jeremy wrote 100% of the song, as far as I was concerned, even though I wrote 100% of the guitar parts. Adding guitar parts to an existing strong structure has never felt like actually participating in songwriting, at least to me, anyway, so Alex's omission from the songwriting credit on YYZ has always made sense to me.

You're right, I think it would depend on the situation. YYZ is definitely Geddy and Neil's song, you can tell by how it's put together.

• Like 1