Favorite EPs or mini-LPs

Rutlefan

The '80s thread inspired me to dig into my New Order. The stuff I never get tired of is their early singles, most of which were collected on an EP titled "1981-Factus 8-1982", being a factory records issue of their '81/'82 singles. Short but awesome collection of songs. Made me think of my other favorite short but awesome collection, Play Pop by Wire, also mostly early singles. Play Pop was the first early Wire I bought after hearing their '80s club single Ahead and I was blown away. Made a Wire fanatic through the '80s (Beatles and early Wire were my '80s obsessions, having discovered each in college).

So, made me think about my favorite EPs (at least four songs), or mini-LPs (short of an LP, obviously). What are yours, here's my favorites:

Play Pop by Wire. As far as I know it's only on vinyl but all the songs but a couple (Dot Dash and a single edit of Outdoor Miner) are found on their first three LPs; all can be found on CD, just not as Play Pop. A highlight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vw4JkDf0wo

1981-Factus 8-1982 by New Order. Marks the transition from Joy Division to the club dance band they eventually became. Better material than the LP Movement of the same period. A highlight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w43uSMJntgw

Mini by The Wedding Present. A car-themed collection of songs about love gone awry. A highlight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g4UUjSlJgo

Japanese Whispers by The Cure. Eight singles on one disc. Only occasionally listen to them anymore but really loved them back in the day. A highlight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvkSwtFMM44

And of course the U.S. only Hey Jude.

Edited by Rutlefan

Speaking of Wire, I really like the Peel Sessions Album and the Snakedrill EP.

Back in the day I really like the Alarm's debut EP and Big Country's Wonderland EP.

But my favorite EP of all-time is probably R.E.M.'s Chronic Town.

^ Of course I love Snakedrill. Outside of Send and Change Becomes Us, their best stuff post-154. Great catch with Wonderland. Completely in love with that. Still amazes me even today. Maybe their highlight, even more than The Crossing. +1 on Chronic Town too. Did XTC ever release an EP? Not that I can think of, but we can both agree on The Dukes of Stratosphere's 25 O'Clock for sure.
  • Like 1

^ Of course I love Snakedrill. Outside of Send and Change Becomes Us, their best stuff post-154. Great catch with Wonderland. Completely in love with that. Still amazes me even today. Maybe their highlight, even more than The Crossing. +1 on Chronic Town too. Did XTC ever release an EP? Not that I can think of, but we can both agree on The Dukes of Stratosphere's 25 O'Clock for sure.

Damn, I just gave 25'O Clock a spin the other day! I can't believe it slipped my mind.

Funny, I listened to 25 O'Clock the other day too, on a car cassette deck no less. Completed the sober-yet-I-feel-drugged effect.

I can't believe this slipped my mind, Glider by My Bloody Valentine. Incredible. I think I like it more than Loveless, and I love Loveless. If you know MBV you know Soon, but it's the two 2nd side songs that make this so special, Don't Ask Why and Off Your Face. Very Cocteau Twins-esque, but with the volume turned up to eleven.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qQ0N4cBqXM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-cmeVcoRBA

Edited by Rutlefan

Maiden Japan

The Cure - Quadpus (just because it reminds me of a girl I knew in college).

got your heart broken by a goth chick who smoked too much and quoted nietzsche all the time? we've all been there

husker du - metal circus

sodom - in the sign of evil

burzum - aske

minutemen - buzz or howl under the influence of heat

black flag - nervous breakdown

minor threat - out of step

overkill - power in black

saint vitus - thirsty and miserable

metallica - garage days rerevisited (the only reason non-british people younger than 50 still talk about budgie and diamond head. someone who's like, 49, will dispute this but we know it's true)

mercyful fate - mercyful fate

beherit - seventh blasphemy

marillion - market square heroes

there are a million of these if you're into metal and old punk rock. and I might be confusing EPs with demo tapes, but f**k it

Queensryche EP over the top !!!

then:

"Maiden Japan"

Kate Bush "On Stage"

Marillion "Market Square Heroes"

Yes!! It is truly the greatest EP ever. Then RATT! LOL!

MAIDEN JAPAN IS EPIC!

You just had to go Marillion too! My God! I love it!! I am a Marillion Fish Era WHORE!

Queensryche EP over the top !!!

then:

"Maiden Japan"

Kate Bush "On Stage"

Marillion "Market Square Heroes"

Yes!! It is truly the greatest EP ever. Then RATT! LOL!

MAIDEN JAPAN IS EPIC!

You just had to go Marillion too! My God! I love it!! I am a Marillion Fish Era WHORE!

I guess we work in the same knocking shop.....

I forgot Celtic Frost's "Morbid Tales" and "Emperor's Return" in my previous post (shame on me but it's early morning here...)

Hahaha! That's right up your alley! Not mine! Ok so I will pick the SAVATAGE EP "Dungeons Are Calling!" EPIC METAL! MUTHA!

Then Savatage released "SIRENS!" One of the greatest metal albums in the world! I hated the reissue cover art. The original on LP had a blue circle with a haunted looking ship floating upon rough seas.

RIP CRISS!

Maiden Japan

got your heart broken by a goth chick who smoked too much and quoted nietzsche all the time? we've all been there

Nope. She was rich kid hippie wannabe. Didn't smoke or quote Nietzsche. She did break my heart though.

I can't believe I didn't remember Crazy From the Heat. Good catch, Earl.

• Like 1

Maiden Japan

Nope. She was rich kid hippie wannabe. Didn't smoke or quote Nietzsche. She did break my heart though.

I can't believe I didn't remember Crazy From the Heat. Good catch, Earl.

Thanks amigo!

• Like 1