Geddy's voice went downhill with the Hemispheres tour.

Eel Yddeg

And plus, i don't think he decayed too much. Even now, he still sounds good, but his 1978/9-onwards voice can't compare to before.

Not in terms of histrionics, that's true. But I still maintain he was technically a better singer after he started to mellow a bit more.

I agree with this. In the early days he did a lot of screaming, which fit the music they were doing and was also kind of his signature sound (along with that vibrato). As their music changed, so did his voice and his approach to singing. I don't think his 70's voice would have fit the 80's+ music.

I don't know. I think this could have worked...

Imagine a time.... YEAH

Where at it all began BABY

In the dying days of the warARARAARARARARARARRARA

A weapon that would settle the SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRREEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And plus, i don't think he decayed too much. Even now, he still sounds good, but his 1978/9-onwards voice can't compare to before.

Not in terms of histrionics, that's true. But I still maintain he was technically a better singer after he started to mellow a bit more.

I agree with this. In the early days he did a lot of screaming, which fit the music they were doing and was also kind of his signature sound (along with that vibrato). As their music changed, so did his voice and his approach to singing. I don't think his 70's voice would have fit the 80's+ music.

I don't know. I think this could have worked...

Imagine a time.... YEAH

Where at it all began BABY

In the dying days of the warARARAARARARARARARRARA

A weapon that would settle the SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRREEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey that was pretty good. I could almost hear it. :LOL:

• Like 1

People are getting way too caught up in semantics regarding the vernacular :LOL:

What else do we have to do on a forum where the vernacular is all we have?

People are getting way too caught up in semantics regarding the vernacular :LOL:

What else do we have to do on a forum where the vernacular is all we have?

Great forum slogan: "The vernacular is all we have." :LOL:
  • Like 1

I don't know how anyone can say his voice is just as good today. It's not. That's no bad reflection on Geddy. It has happened to the best of them.

I agree...and Happy 25,000! :7up: :cheerleader:

(But remember, you are NOT your post count. :P )

• Like 1

I don't know how anyone can say his voice is just as good today. It's not. That's no bad reflection on Geddy. It has happened to the best of them.

I agree...and Happy 25,000! :7up: :cheerleader:

(But remember, you are NOT your post count. :P )

:) Thank you, and thank God for big favors.

• Like 1

His voice is shit these days compared to what it was at his peak. The qualifier lots people put on his voice is "well, he sounds really good for a man in his 60s" like that somehow means he actually sounds good.

• Like 3

I see the insults are easy, now that they're not touring anymore.

Sure, everybody's voice changes when they use it the way he has used his.

Any of you who say he's nowhere near what he was- well, that's correct, in certain respects.

But you spend 40-45 years doing what he's done, and I'd so love to hear your criticisms then.

This is the tired-est trash-talk of Geddy, and of Rush, that I think I've ever seen. I don't have a whole lot of tolerance for it.

But that's just one guy's opinion.

• Like 1

I'll never understand why people take criticisms of Rush so personally. It's not like Alex, Geddy, or Neil are any of our moms. Edited by JARG
  • Like 2

I see the insults are easy, now that they're not touring anymore.

Sure, everybody's voice changes when they use it the way he has used his.

Any of you who say he's nowhere near what he was- well, that's correct, in certain respects.

But you spend 40-45 years doing what he's done, and I'd so love to hear your criticisms then.

This is the tired-est trash-talk of Geddy, and of Rush, that I think I've ever seen. I don't have a whole lot of tolerance for it.

But that's just one guy's opinion.

Do you feel better now?

• Like 1

It happened on September 28, 1977 in Fresno. The vocal chord monster suddenly got a hold of him during Fly by Night! :D

Right before the solo he says something, the tail end of which sounds like "the guy's f***ing crazy"

Edited by JARG

Personally, here's my peaks for Geddy.

Studio: Rush-Hemispheres

Live: 1974 (Rush Tour) through 1978 (AFTK tour). While his voice was great on the Hemispheres album, the tour featured him losing his grit and power. Though his voice still sounded good afterwards, even today, it can't compare to the greatness of the '70s.

Sorry, but I don't consider all out screaming banshee the peak of his voice.

BUMP!

I don't see why everyone says his voice changed after 2112/ATWAS. He still sounds in top form in the AFTK tour.

This performance of 2112, for example, still has him in prime screeching mode, and his classic tone remains. I compared it to a 1976 version, and they sounded very similar in tone and phrasing.

Or this awesome version of Cygnus X-1, which features amazing vocals.